+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Guess Rift has hurt WoW.

Smile Guess Rift has hurt WoW.

WoW has gone Free-2-Play up to level 20...

Only 6 months after last expansion came out..

Ouch!

What does this have to do with anything? They're just being competitive, I've never even touched the game and I know this... they're just drawing more people in with an extended trial. Doesn't mean they're dying, just drawing new eyes.
    Last edited by Real; 06-29-2011 at 06:35 PM.
    Bounty - Nightblade/Assassin/Riftstalker - Deepwood

Rift Disciple

Could also say it has gone F2P for 20 levels 7 years after release.

The bulk of the players that left, played WoW for between 4 to 6 years. Honestly it was to be expected, I would imagine they will lose more when Tera and SWTOR come out later this year.

Going partially free 2 play won't change anything, they will still be the number 1 subscription based MMO in the world even after the new gen MMOs are released later this year.

LOL Rift hurt wow?

Yea right. This game is almost the exactly like WoW, but with less features. But hey, continue to tell yourself this game is more popular. Doesn't change the fact of people leaving, and servers dying. Won't be long before merges happen.

Live in your bubble though.

Only thing I can imagine that could compete on WoW's level is Guild wars 2 and MAYBE swtor, which I highly doubt.
    Last edited by Cubbyhomes; 06-29-2011 at 06:48 PM.

Rift Disciple

Wow's got what? 11million or 7 million people...something like that.

more than all the other mmo's combined so I don't think they are hurting at all. I'm actually going back to it for a bit till rift get's some more content added.

They can easily absorb the hit that Rift gave them but the question is...can Rift absorb the hits they are gonna take from gw2 and swtor.

Rift Chaser

That's not a F2P model, that an extended demo mode, nothing more. Nothing too special, except that it indeed could be seen as a reaction to the increasing competition on the market and the poor reception of their newest expansion pack.

Shadowlander

They were already basically free to play with the Free Trials that allowed you to go up to level 10. People just like to hate on the industry giants, much like Microsoft, Google, Apple, etc.

Soulwalker

City of Heroes went Free to Play as well, to my chagrin.

Quote Originally Posted by celebrate View Post

more than all the other mmo's combined so I don't think they are hurting at all. I'm actually going back to it for a bit till rift get's some more content added.

They can easily absorb the hit that Rift gave them but the question is...can Rift absorb the hits they are gonna take from gw2 and swtor.
    Confirming I intend to try both GW2 and SWTOR.

Max level of 20, you can't have more than 10 gold, you can't trade/use the auction system, can't talk on public channels, can't join a guild, and can't invite others to a party. Yup, definitely sounds like WoW went F2P!

Oh sorry, sounds more like an extended trial after dominating the MMO market for 7 years, and still dominating it.
    Last edited by PVStar; 06-29-2011 at 07:07 PM.
    Look at your post, now back to mine, now back to your post, now back to mine. Sadly, it isn't mine, but if you stopped being nonconstructive and dumb and started posting about something that makes sense, it could look like it's mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're on a page with the post your post could look like. Anything is possible when you post like me, and not like an idiot. I'm on a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by celebrate View Post
    i hate when people say this.. they see the commercials or ads and go ZOMG 11 MILLION!!

no. 11 million HAVE experienced is not the same thing as 11 million are playing the game at this moment

that is all, i am staying out of the rest of this conversation

Quote Originally Posted by xanduin246 View Post
    i hate when people say this.. they see the commercials or ads and go ZOMG 11 MILLION!!

no. 11 million HAVE experienced is not the same thing as 11 million are playing the game at this moment

that is all, i am staying out of the rest of this conversation
    No, they have an active subscription base of about 11 million. The majority is in Asia, the rest in NA/EU.
    Last edited by PVStar; 06-29-2011 at 07:10 PM.
    Look at your post, now back to mine, now back to your post, now back to mine. Sadly, it isn't mine, but if you stopped being nonconstructive and dumb and started posting about something that makes sense, it could look like it's mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're on a page with the post your post could look like. Anything is possible when you post like me, and not like an idiot. I'm on a forum.

A larger percentage of the level cap amount is available in trion's free trial 30% or so than in wows 23% or so.
    Minsc and Boo
    All time favorite RPG characters.

So, something like a third of their active subscribers have ever gotten either of the last two expansions? Not sounding very active.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast