+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: That other game, now FTP

Default That other game, now FTP

Thought people might be interested in this.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/pos...et-you-hooked/

Say what you will, their marketing team deserves every dime that they earn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireforge View Post
    Your patience is completely unnecessary in this matter. You put a quarter in the machine and you need your gumball. It's cool.
    Your "Likes" fuel me.
    E . ` ' / . F
    Selling 1.4 Crafting Components. X-Shard Delivery Available.

Quote Originally Posted by Dereth View Post
    It's true.
    Introducing The Promise Deluxe Edition! Now with 88% more pretension and fighting paunch!

Rift Chaser

Slightly off topic but this reminded me, yea I'm surprised why Rift put lvl 15 cap on the trial, if you wanna "complete" the start zones silverwood and freemarch alot of the big invasions etc are upto lvl 20, well I dont know about u but lvl 15s aint gonna be hitting many lvl 20 mobs, just die alot.

Imi
    Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Dereth View Post
    Why is it that when Trion has a sale, they are desperately trying to save their failing game, but when wow goes f2p for 20 levels, they are brilliant at marketing?

I'm not saying you said that about Trion, but it's been said a lot..

If nothing else, this is pretty good confirmation that Trion's doing well at gaining subscribers.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

It still isn't worth playing.
    Fare thee well
    Let your life proceed by its own design
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Imi View Post
    Why is it that when Trion has a sale, they are desperately trying to save their failing game, but when wow goes f2p for 20 levels, they are brilliant at marketing?

I'm not saying you said that about Trion, but it's been said a lot..
    Rift is not a failing game.... just stop. Its silly at this point. Also technically, Rift went f2p til level 15 on trial servers. Blizzard just said "Oh well in Rift you only get to finish half a zone, but in our game, you get to go up to level 20!"

What they dont mention is that getting to level 20 can be done in a couple hours. lol Also I just watched a fantastic video on the Escapist about Skinner Boxes (a new one).

And finally... I dunno what this "you cant do invasions or rifts until level 20" bit is, but I have, as low as level 20 gone to Lantern Hook and helped with invasions there before, as well as the Chancel of Labour and Shimmersand. So that claim is false. IF you know what youre doing you can even keep from getting clobbered every five seconds.
    Last edited by FoxMaiden; 06-28-2011 at 04:58 PM.
    :: Ceileigh Amberlight - Dwarf Engineer :: Nimhue Amberlight - Dwarf Druid :: Faeblight ::

Yup, WoW's getting hurt by Rift... or could the big-wigs at Activision be behind this? Hard to say, but I think I quit just in time. Glad I made the switch to this game now.

Give it a year or two and Blizzard's cash cow will be just like Champions Online. DEAD. And free to play.

Meh, can't be on top forever.

EDIT - If Trion toppled a giant like WoW with just Rift, they must be doing something right.
    Last edited by EvilChaosX; 06-28-2011 at 05:14 PM.
    No bashing on my avatar, please.

All good things come to an end... except, what if it was never "good" in the first place. lol
    :: Ceileigh Amberlight - Dwarf Engineer :: Nimhue Amberlight - Dwarf Druid :: Faeblight ::

Quote Originally Posted by FoxMaiden View Post
    All good things come to an end... except, what if it was never "good" in the first place. lol
    WoW was fun, a long time ago...
    No bashing on my avatar, please.

I dont think it was every really FUN. It had its moments where I was having a blast, but they weren't that often. What wow succeeded in doing however, was being addictive.

Quote Originally Posted by Audwyn View Post
    Thought people might be interested in this.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/pos...et-you-hooked/
    Interesting... I decided to try to log in, and, sure enough, it's downloading a "Starter Edition." And it's letting me log in. So, if I wanted, I could go visit old friends (and/or enemies).

What I miss most about WoW were the friends I had there; I think most are gone by now.

WoW was fun in vanilla (High Warlord grind). After that, it was just a matter of hanging around, hoping they would make PvP fun again, raiding only because it's somewhat more interesting than TV. The forum was more fun than the game, until someone decided forums shouldn't be fun, and abused the report feature until the forum was as dead as a drought-stricken field. The last several months I played, it was to log in, see if there's a raid, and if not, log back out.

Edit: it makes it look like leaving me with full access to PTR after my account expired may have been purposeful. They were trying to keep me around.
    Last edited by Palvy; 06-28-2011 at 06:46 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by EvilChaosX View Post
    Yup, WoW's getting hurt by Rift... or could the big-wigs at Activision be behind this? Hard to say, but I think I quit just in time. Glad I made the switch to this game now.

Give it a year or two and Blizzard's cash cow will be just like Champions Online. DEAD. And free to play.

Meh, can't be on top forever.

EDIT - If Trion toppled a giant like WoW with just Rift, they must be doing something right.

Rift hasn't toppled anything nor will it, not saying it isn't a good game because it does have it's good qualities, but Rift has done little to affect warcraft. As to being dead, I still see plenty of life over there, and it still has plenty of players to keep it running for a very long time, heck Everquest is still going that should say something right there; as for CO it's not dead yet though it may not be in good condition it still fairs well all things considering how the game started.

Sword of Telara

bash what you like, WoW is one of the most profitable MMO's in History.
    it's unlikely it will ever get beaten again, that along makes it a best seller.

eventually it just die out, by being outdated, but for so far long they still have the biggest marketing share.
    even up today.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast