+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If i were lucky...

Default If i were lucky...

Id play the lotto and not video games.

RNG, go to hell.

Agreed.

In Aion I procced my Hot Heart of Magic first try. Then I got to see friends fail repeatedly, one taking a whopping 19 tries before proccing it.

I didn't have fun seeing that happen, they didn't have fun having that happen.

It's so much more enjoyable to me when games reward effort and/or skill instead of a random dice roll arbitrarily rewarding or screwing over people with no rhyme or reason behind it.
    (V)    (V)
    ミ(◕‿◕。)彡

Quote Originally Posted by Sonoko View Post
    Agreed.

In Aion I procced my Hot Heart of Magic first try. Then I got to see friends fail repeatedly, one taking a whopping 19 tries before proccing it.

It's so much more enjoyable to me when games reward effort and/or skill instead of a random dice roll arbitrarily rewarding or screwing over people with no rhyme or reason behind it.
    Well said! I never had a problem seeing anyone riding the same mount as me in that other game. I did, however, see people who's attitudes were "if i cant be the only one with it, i dont want it". i think we need to weed all these selfish people out.

My favorite is getting one shot in certain boss fights. <3 RNG

I have never been lucky with rolling.

I have never suffered for it.
    Minsc and Boo
    All time favorite RPG characters.

Agreed.

I had just gotten over the nightmares, and you had to dredge up all those traumatic memories T_T
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

aux

RNG > plaques, though. A balance has to be found.
    I'm so BORED

Plane Touched

introducing probability to trivial things is a cookie-cutter approach to virtually extending content... it's annoying, but this were not to be the case - what would we all do in game? The trick is to get the chance well to where it prolongs the content but doesn't feel like a grind.

Quote Originally Posted by Diabolicalburp View Post
    introducing probability to trivial things is a cookie-cutter approach to virtually extending content... it's annoying, but this were not to be the case - what would we all do in game? The trick is to get the chance well to where it prolongs the content but doesn't feel like a grind.
    RNG comes from tabletop Dungeons and Dragons. You had to roll a dice for everything. Being the founding father of the RPG genre, its only natural it's predecessors take after it to some degree. But it's honestly time to let go of the d20 system and use computers to their full potential.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Shadowlander

Developers can't win.

In terms of item drops:
    Base drops on RNG and people complain about having bad luck.
    Base drops on a grind and people complain about the grind being too long and/or too boring.
    Last edited by Groggie; 06-28-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Groggie View Post
    Developers can't win.

In terms of item drops:
    Base drops on a grind and people complain about the grind being too long and/or too boring.
    So put base drops on content that isn't a boring repetative grind and I'd say they CAN win.

Quote Originally Posted by Groggie View Post
    Developers can't win.

In terms of item drops:
    Some people would complain if they found a gold bar in a mud puddle.
    Minsc and Boo
    All time favorite RPG characters.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by xtorma View Post
    Some people would complain if they found a gold bar in a mud puddle.
    Gross, who'd want a muddy gold bar?
    Bizmatek

Plane Touched

K, flame me all you want (I deserve it) but my newbishness would like to know what RNG means... its that the acro for Grinding?

Sez

I like to look at this quote, and then your signature.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast