+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Farewell to SWG

Default Farewell to SWG

I know it got a lot wrong and some right, but it is finally closing down with the loss of its license.

Bye Bye, you game some good times, then some bad

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13925263
    Last edited by Kelvenaru; 06-28-2011 at 02:00 AM.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvenaru View Post
    I know it got a lot wrong and some right, but it is finally closing down with the loss of its license.

and still SoE refuse to admit they major **** up.

However, player numbers have steadily declined as a series of updates alienated many established players and stripped the game of its complexity. Sony has since described some of the changes as a "mistake".

SoE, one of the worse MMO company's in the history of mankind.
    quite achievement btw.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by abisha View Post
    and still SoE refuse to admit they major **** up.

However, player numbers have steadily declined as a series of updates alienated many established players and stripped the game of its complexity. Sony has since described some of the changes as a "mistake".

SoE, one of the worse MMO company's in the history of mankind.
    quite achievement btw.
    Actually, Smed does admit to the errors. There's an interview with Massively and he talks about the mistakes made (and that will not be repeated). We'll see...

Prophet of Telara

I guess Bioware must be scared ToR will flop and didn't want the 'other' franchise game still around for those for whom the ToR hype proved empty to turn to.

It's simply a business decision to shift population to ToR, since they're based on the same IP. Vanguard had less population than SWG, and they haven't threatened to close down Vanguard. It really makes sense....

It's starting to become the end of an era sadly. Removing more and more sandbox games, and creating more games with you mindlessly progress through because it seems to be the next logical step and fun, instead of truly being satisfied.

I cannot wait until we have more interactive, and deeper games. Which throw you back into the world, and make the people you play with in the world more important.

Thank god designing my own MMORPG is going to become a reality soon.

Haseno
    "Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
    I love my comma's, deal with it, chump.

Quote Originally Posted by Haseno View Post
    It's simply a business decision to shift population to ToR, since they're based on the same IP. Vanguard had less population than SWG, and they haven't threatened to close down Vanguard. It really makes sense....

It's starting to become the end of an era sadly. Removing more and more sandbox games, and creating more games with you mindlessly progress through because it seems to be the next logical step and fun, instead of truly being satisfied.

I cannot wait until we have more interactive, and deeper games. Which throw you back into the world, and make the people you play with in the world more important.

Thank god designing my own MMORPG is going to become a reality soon.
    if you can stomach the crappy sci-fi, i suggest eve online. the only true sandbox mmo... too bad it's stuck in space where things suck but still, some ppl like it.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokonoso View Post
    if you can stomach the crappy sci-fi, i suggest eve online. the only true sandbox mmo... too bad it's stuck in space where things suck but still, some ppl like it.
    Sci-Fi isn't our thing.

A full fledged sandbox wouldn't thrive in western culture anymore, and i've come to accept that. A themed sandbox has the potential to exceed all expectations though. We got some concepts in mind, and we're flushing through all the variables and intricate details yet. Indie developers, so it will take more time than your average 4 year timespan.
    Last edited by Haseno; 06-28-2011 at 04:39 AM.

Haseno
    "Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
    I love my comma's, deal with it, chump.

Sci-Fi isn't our thing.

A full fledged sandbox wouldn't thrive in western culture anymore, and i've come to accept that. A themed sandbox has the potential to exceed all expectations though. We got some concepts in mind, and we're flushing through all the variables and intricate details yet. Indie developers, so it will take more time than your average 4 year timespan.
    i agree, i cant stomach eve either. i only stomach star wars because harrison ford made the movies comical, else id probably not like it either, sci fi is simply not cool at all.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvenaru View Post

Finally. Make room for SW:TOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    From now on I discriminate against addon users. No addons will be allowed in my groups. /discussion.
    Does that mean no vent?

Stand up and Fight.

Just another failure for Sony.

Rift Disciple

It was bound to happen one day. They've revamped the game and messed it up so much! It always made me wonder why didn't they just give SWG a last chance and go back to CLASSIC MODE!!! Seriously!!! The game is cancelled, it will go down, why not just go through their backups and restore the good old classic SWG before all this combat revamp crap!

If you played SWG for at least a year after it was launched, that was when SWG was at it's peak!!! 40+ classes!!! So much customization! So many pets. So many items. The crafting system was the most complete, complex and IMHO the best crafting system ever implemented in a MMORPG. The HAM system! Oh how I loved the Health Action and Mind system!

Rift Disciple

I enjoyed certain bits about SWG. The fact it was Star Wars was a big thing. Crafting and player cities was neat as well as certain things about certain classes. Doing quests and pveing to skill up felt laborious.
    Cleric of Faeblight
    Mage of Faeblight

AMD 8150@4.5GHZ, 8GB1600, SAPPHIRE 7950 3GB

I'm waiting for a Firefly-themed MMO.

If not based on the actual series, on the concept.

Would totally play that.
    Officer of Legacy, Keenblade.

Prestige Rank 8 -- 4/10 HK -- Rogue

Sez

A full fledged sandbox wouldn't thrive in western culture anymore
    Second Life. My teenage sister and all her little friends play that non-stop.

I live in a "western culture" area.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kragorn View Post
    I guess Bioware must be scared ToR will flop and didn't want the 'other' franchise game still around for those for whom the ToR hype proved empty to turn to.
    Actually.... LucasArts is very strict with their licensing. I'm betting they pulled the plug.... as they have a hand in TOR.

The three best things about SWG, in my opinion, were the Pre-CU version, Space Combat, and the crafting system. For anyone that ever enjoyed crafting in an MMO, SWG was a Mecca... from gathering resources to marketing your wares. It actually made crafting fun and gave you the ability to make a crafted item that was TOTALLY unique.

It will be missed. Maybe the project that was reverse engineering SWG (with SOE's blessing) will manage to keep the game alive....

Contrary to the doom and gloom that the rest of you seem to have, I'm actually looking forward to seeing what new innovations to MMOs comes out of TOR. From the information that's available, the PvE experience seems something of a cross between a traditional MMO and a traditional RPG. I'm anxious to see how they blend the two. I'm still waiting to see what the PvP experience will be like....

In my opinion, one of the reasons why sci-fi themed MMOs get such a bad rap is there have been so few that have been successful.... so no one gives the genre a chance. I'm willing to wager that if Blizzard came out with a Starcraft themed MMO, the masses would flock to it.....

+ Reply to Thread