+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My personal MMORPG hardware history...

Default My personal MMORPG hardware history...

I was checking out my order history on Newegg, and I thought it was kind of cool. Talk about a trip down memory lane...

So the first computer I built specifically for an MMORPG was in 2002. I had built computers for quite some time before that, mostly for general use...although I did play various video games on them. This was the point at which my wife and I started needing our own computers, because we were both playing EQ together. We went from one to two in the house, and then later to four.

So here was my first MMO computer, to make my EQ gaming really fly -

<2002>

1 x Foxconn ATX3400-P4 White Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 300W Power Supply
    1 x MB BIOSTAR VIA KT333 M7VIP RTL
    1 x GAINWARD GF4PP Ultra/650TV GS GeForce4 Ti4200 64MB 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card
    1 x CPU AMD|1600+/266 ATHLON 1.40G XP % - OEM
    1 x DDRAM512MB|PC-2100 -SAMSUNG - OEM
    1 x Maxtor DiamondMax Plus D740X 6E030L0 30GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA133 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    1 x CDRW 48x12x50|AOPEN CRW4850 RET
    1 x CPU FAN COOLERMASTER CP5-6J11C-01 R

Woot! 512MB of Ram and a Geforce4 Ti4200... not top of the line components at the time, but mid-high end components that really made the game play well. An AMD Athlon XP 1600+ at 1.4 GHz, and an aftermarket cooler... screaming.

Next up was the machine I built in 2005 when I got into friends and family beta for Vanguard (yeah, I keep my computers for a while).

<2005>

1 x ASUS A8N-SLI Premium 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
    1 x BFG Tech BFGR78256GTXOC GeForce 7800GTX 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Support Video Card
    1 x Thermaltake Tsunami Dream ATX Mid-tower /side window
    1 x Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 550W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Power Supply
    1 x AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 2.2GHz Socket 939 Dual-Core Processor ADA4400CDBOX
    1 x NEC Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive - OEM
    1 x NEC DVD Burner Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model ND-3540A
    1 x Microsoft Windows XP Professional With Service Pack 2 - OEM
    1 x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L200S0 200GB 7200 RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    1 x OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K

So we jumped all the way to a dual-core 2.2GHz CPU, 2GB of RAM, and skipped a whole bunch of GPU generations. This is actually the machine I'm still using today, 5 years later. The only upgrades I made were power supply (Corsair TX650W) and video card (8800GTS 512MB G92).

I'm going to upgrade again some time in the next 6 months or so... it's funny because the jump in technology and power will be considerably smaller this time around (between 2005 - 2010) than it was between 2002 and 2005, a span of only three years. How things have changed.
    "Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

forums - Fozzik's Hardware
    blog - The Last Bastion

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzik View Post
    I was checking out my order history on Newegg, and I thought it was kind of cool. Talk about a trip down memory lane...

So the first computer I built specifically for an MMORPG was in 2002. I had built computers for quite some time before that, mostly for general use...although I did play various video games on them. This was the point at which my wife and I started needing our own computers, because we were both playing EQ together. We went from one to two in the house, and then later to four.

So here was my first MMO computer, to make my EQ gaming really fly -

<2002>

1 x Foxconn ATX3400-P4 White Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 300W Power Supply
    1 x MB BIOSTAR VIA KT333 M7VIP RTL
    1 x GAINWARD GF4PP Ultra/650TV GS GeForce4 Ti4200 64MB 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card
    1 x CPU AMD|1600+/266 ATHLON 1.40G XP % - OEM
    1 x DDRAM512MB|PC-2100 -SAMSUNG - OEM
    1 x Maxtor DiamondMax Plus D740X 6E030L0 30GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA133 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    1 x CDRW 48x12x50|AOPEN CRW4850 RET
    1 x CPU FAN COOLERMASTER CP5-6J11C-01 R

Woot! 512MB of Ram and a Geforce4 Ti4200... not top of the line components at the time, but mid-high end components that really made the game play well. An AMD Athlon XP 1600+ at 1.4 GHz, and an aftermarket cooler... screaming.

Next up was the machine I built in 2005 when I got into friends and family beta for Vanguard (yeah, I keep my computers for a while).

<2005>

1 x ASUS A8N-SLI Premium 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
    1 x BFG Tech BFGR78256GTXOC GeForce 7800GTX 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Support Video Card
    1 x Thermaltake Tsunami Dream ATX Mid-tower /side window
    1 x Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 550W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Power Supply
    1 x AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 2.2GHz Socket 939 Dual-Core Processor ADA4400CDBOX
    1 x NEC Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive - OEM
    1 x NEC DVD Burner Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model ND-3540A
    1 x Microsoft Windows XP Professional With Service Pack 2 - OEM
    1 x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L200S0 200GB 7200 RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    1 x OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K

So we jumped all the way to a dual-core 2.2GHz CPU, 2GB of RAM, and skipped a whole bunch of GPU generations. This is actually the machine I'm still using today, 5 years later. The only upgrades I made were power supply (Corsair TX650W) and video card (8800GTS 512MB G92).

I'm going to upgrade again some time in the next 6 months or so... it's funny because the jump in technology and power will be considerably smaller this time around (between 2005 - 2010) than it was between 2002 and 2005, a span of only three years. How things have changed.
    funny how that 5 year old machine meets the min spec for Rift beta

Yeah, almost like I knew what I was doing.

*laughs*

The hardware industry really has slowed down a lot. The switch to multi-core just surprised the heck out of the software industry, and everything came to a screeching halt. The only company in the entire industry (hardware and software) that saw that parallelism was coming was AMD. Everybody else was riding the clock speed rocket like it would never come down...AMD was set for multi-core from an architecture standpoint like 5 years before the first dual-core.
    "Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

blog - The Last Bastion

Wow, I suck - I just looked at this, nodded smiled and hoped no one would notice I didn't understand a word of it.

And here's me thinking "if I like Rift when it comes out I'm going to need something other than this laptop...and I have No. Bloody. Clue."

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Wow, I suck - I just looked at this, nodded smiled and hoped no one would notice I didn't understand a word of it.

And here's me thinking "if I like Rift when it comes out I'm going to need something other than this laptop...and I have No. Bloody. Clue."
    Luckily, you've already made friends with a geek who lives and breathes this stuff.

I'd be glad to help you shop when the time comes, if you'd like. I've even got articles up on my old site that show you step by step how to build your own computer if you really want to get adventurous. Otherwise, there's certainly a lot of help that I and others can provide in picking out a pre-built machine from a major manufacturer.

blog - The Last Bastion

This is true, this is true. I shall call upon thy advanced geekery when the time comes; with an advance warning that here in the UK we're operating on different voltage! (as ex found out to his dismay as he blew up his whole rig when he went over to the States. Woe.)

I best save me tuppence!

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    This is true, this is true. I shall call upon thy advanced geekery when the time comes; with an advance warning that here in the UK we're operating on different voltage! (as ex found out to his dismay as he blew up his whole rig when he went over to the States. Woe.)

I best save me tuppence!
    Fozzik knows what he's doing Tink. He was a guru over on the pre-Vanguard forums.

I think we're still a little behind for prices over here too. It will cost you a bit more, but can I make a suggestion for you Tink?

I know a bit, but not confident enough to build my own machine. I can fix my own problems if prompted to so I went for a build from a company I'd seen advertised in PCZone; Cyberpower. I really would recommend them to anyone. I had a little problem with a dodgy RAM stick when I got my machine but they replaced it no fuss, no quibbles.
    We Were The Defiant

Then Rift went Trivial and Dull

+ Reply to Thread