+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Harddrive + Close to speaker = bad

Default Harddrive + Close to speaker = bad

When I started my computer yesterday I notcied something was wrong.. First off all the programes which is on Autostart didn't start. I just recently formatted my entire computer so I knew nothing could've been wrong.. So I tried to start Firefox... "Unable to find file x".. 'Hmm, that's strange' I thought to myself.. Opened "My Computer" and went to "D:". Took a few seconds then "D: isn't formatted. Do you want to format it now?"..

The only thing I could image was that the computer was standing too close to the speakers. Or does anyone have another idea? Strange thing is tho I got partition C and D on the same harddrive. C seems to work fine. As do E but that's on another harddrive. But all actions I do are all very slow. Starting Internet Explorer(Which I figured out should work since it's on C:, and which it did, yay) took forever, opening a new tab took forever, every new webpage you go to takes forever. I don't dare to start something else in Windows since I will take... Forever.

So anyone got any idea what it can be if it's not the speakers fault? Will format it in some hours.. Sucks that it would get broken down just now, now when new juicy info is coming out.. Mmm Dwarves...

Sounds exactly like my last problem, i formatted and tried everything. Then i tried switching to a new SATA cable and that actually worked, so i formatted everything for nothing. So try to change the cable.
    Last edited by Ozon; 08-14-2010 at 01:03 AM.

Sounds like one of three things is wrong. Either the motherboard's hard drive controller is going bad, the hard drive cable is bad or not plugged in properly, or the hard drive itself is going bad.

It doesn't have anything to do with your speakers. In order for a magnetic field to affect your hard drive, it would have to either be EXTREMELY powerful, or very very close to the platters inside the drive. The reason why the heads in the drive are able to write to the platters (flip bits) is because the head is flying incredibly close to the surface...only a few molecules of air separate the head from the platter.

The strength of the magnetic field needed increases as the distance increases... and once you get to a distance of a few inches, you would need the type of magnet that picks up cars in order to flip bits on your platters. The degaussers that they use to erase hard drives have MASSIVE magnetic fields, like an MRI.

I would start with the cables. Make sure the power cable is plugged snugly into the drive, and make sure the data cable is snug into the drive and into the motherboard. Try formatting and see if it will hold some data for a while. If that doesn't work, try changing to a new hard drive data cable.

If that doesn't fix it, go back to the original hard drive data cable and try plugging it into a different connector on the motherboard (you probably have several right next to each other you could try). If none of them will allow you to format the drive and hold data, try swapping out the drive. If the new drive doesn't fix it... sadly it's going to be time for a new motherboard.

If I had to guess, It sounds to me like the drive itself is going bad.
    "Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

forums - Fozzik's Hardware
    blog - The Last Bastion

Yeah, I think the drive is going bad aswell.. It's also making alot of noise now.. Sounds like something is scratching against something.. The drive is pretty old I guess.. Probably 6-8 year.. Back when 80 GB was a decent amount of a storage disk
    But I guess I'll just trash that one, and go get a 2 TB one instead, pretty cheap anyways, and make my current storage drive(320GB) my windows/programme drive.. Would be fun to get a SDD tho.. But they're still pretty expensive.. :/

Might give the cables a try later/tomorrow, but highly doubt they could be the issue.. Or maybe I wont, cause I really need a new HDD and might not get one if I get this one working..

Thanks for the responds guys, appriciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Martie View Post
    Yeah, I think the drive is going bad aswell.. It's also making alot of noise now.. Sounds like something is scratching against something.. The drive is pretty old I guess.. Probably 6-8 year.. Back when 80 GB was a decent amount of a storage disk
    But I guess I'll just trash that one, and go get a 2 TB one instead, pretty cheap anyways, and make my current storage drive(320GB) my windows/programme drive.. Would be fun to get a SDD tho.. But they're still pretty expensive.. :/

Might give the cables a try later/tomorrow, but highly doubt they could be the issue.. Or maybe I wont, cause I really need a new HDD and might not get one if I get this one working..

Thanks for the responds guys, appriciate it!
    Kitty nuked a drive about that old a couple weeks ago. I could hear the heads crashing. Not pretty.

Ah, got rid of my 80GB IDE drive... Got a 2TB one instead ... Yay, Made my 250GB into 40GB Windows partition, and the rest for programs and games(About 200GB). Ended up buying a new monitor aswell, thought my old CRT was kinda out of date. Just need to finish building my new computer table, then I'm all set for Rift ;)

Super slow loading does sound like drive failure, which I guess you already solved.

You can always check with HdTach, which checks the speed of your drive. I forget if it shows you a basline of where you should be, but I discovered that a Raptor I had once was running at 16% of the speed it should have been due to it being not 64-bit compatible. That would have been my guess with your system, is that you re-formated with a 64-bit OS and it sounds like the drive in question wasn't compatible.

Oh, and about the speakers, if you are talking about Computer speakers a few inches should be fine. Back in the day I had mine right next to the computer monitor and they only interfeared with color when they were basically touching the monitor. If you mean home theater speakers, or a sub-woofer (either computer or home theater), then yeah, I'd say give it at least 1' distance. Either way, you really want about 1' clearance on one side and to the rear and top, and about 3' to the other, so that the case has enough air to breathe. You wouldn't want it blocked off with speakers or anything else or you'll choke it out.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Yeah, the speaker I was talking about was a pretty large subwoofer. 330 mm X 337 mm X 460 mm (13" X 13.3" X 18.1")(Logitech z5500).
    I remember reading some warning in some book that came with it, saying you should keep your monitor atleast 1 meter away from it. But monitors might be more sensitive against megnetic fields. Anyways, that's why I thought it was the speaker, cause I had it at like 25 cm(8-9 inches?) away from my computer.
    I guess it was the drive that was getting old(Probably 8+ years), needed an upgrade anyway.
    Thanks for the tips tho

Yes, CRT monitors were/are very susceptible to magnetic fields (actually, they produce a pretty impressive magnetic field themselves)... totally different beast than the hard drive.
    "Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

forums - Fozzik's Hardware
    blog - The Last Bastion

I sit next to my home stereo and have a Velodyne DD12 sitting approx. a foot away from two of my computers.. One of the computers is a compact one though I use for routing and firewall (pfSense)... It's older and has a small old 10GB HD in it... The other one is a newer computer I use for this and gaming.. Neither have had any issues from being too close to the sub... That I've noticed.. I would suspect something else possibly first.. Or maybe the hard drive is just going out?

Another friend of mine plays in a band and has a computer do a lot of extra sounds and such.. Most the time that computer is sitting right next to the bass stack of amps and speakers... Cause he is the bassist and the one that controls the computer clips and such so he keeps it near him.. He's never had an issue either...

I know being in electronics your own wires can create inductors which create a magnetic field.. Looping wires to get rid of excess actually degrades the wire signal... Specially on long LAN wiring... and such.. To a smaller degree having your SATA wires and such running next to the power wires or even wire tied to the power cables aren't a good idea... If you look inside my computer, they are actually run up one side while my power cables run up another on the drive cases... Rarely this causes issues but sometimes have been known to do so... Mostly the issues sometimes were on the old 80pin IDE cables.. The reason the extra 40 wires were there were for grounding purposes to keep from an effect called capacitive coupling from neighboring wires and other outside interferences...

Far as a sub goes, unless it's right on top of hard drive, don't think it will affect it.. Although, there could be other components that could be harmed or degraded performance being near it... Power cables from a 110V 60Hz wall socket can be pretty influencial when it comes to noise as well..

Far as modding or securing your computer.. Dynamat has been pretty popular for heat, dampening of some outside magnetic fields, and a good noise reduction... Lining the inside of a computer is pretty good with this stuff but at a cost... (Off subject)

I would run a disk health check on your drive.. Run > Chkdsk DriveLetter: /r
    Think that is the one that will check for bad sectors.. Takes a while to run depending on size of HD...

Most Likely to be: Defiant - Cleric Calling (PvP Server)

+ Reply to Thread