+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RIFT and WoW Devs please read: Overscaling of Gear

Default RIFT and WoW Devs please read: Overscaling of Gear

Months before the release of WoW Cataclysm, I made the following post in the official WoW forums:

I would like to confirm that all characters will be able to have 100,000+ hit points at level 85 in Cataclysm. Is this true?

If yes, then who else doesnít think this sounds like a good idea?

What I donít understand is why the devs canít just properly scale the game as it should have been through BC and WotLK?

By properly scale I mean smoothly scale the game up from level 60 to level 80+. If the level difference were used as a measure then health pools, damage, healing etc would have scaled up by about 30-40% from 60 to 80. Why did characters need the massive hp, damage and healing that they now have at 80? WoW has been scaled up by 500% or more from 60 to 80.

Do the devs understand that the overscaling of the game is the reason for the need for resilience in pvp and the WoW pvp game within a game? If abilities, gear and pve content had been scaled by the 30-40% it should have been from 60 to 80, there would be no need for resilience and two separate character progression paths, one for pvp, the other for pve. If Wow had been scaled by 30-40% from 60-80, pve gear would be useable in pvp.

Let me give you a specific example of what I am talking about with weapons. The best(obtainable) 2 hander in classic was Ashkandi, the Sword of the Brotherhood and was 80 dps. The best 2 hander in BC was about 160 to 170 dps. The best 2 hander in WotLK is about 300 dps. If the game had been properly scaled, Shadows Edge should be about 30-40% stronger than ashkandi or about 120 dps. Are we seeing the problem here? WoW is waaay overscaled, hence the need for resilience.
    If the strongest weapon were about 125-130 dps, do you think it would be less valuable than if it were 400 dps?

WoW devs, please explain to me the compelling reason to give level 80 characters level 300 gear.
    Devs, do you understand how many problems you could solve in wow by rescaling the game back to the maximum character level?

No more people getting blown up in pvp. No more need for resilience. PvP and pve gear would be interchangeable. WoW would at long last be one game again.

Devs, you you really believe that scaling the game by 200% or more from WotlK to Cataclysm is going to do anything but make things worse?

Please fix your game in Cataclysm WoW devs. Please scale all gear, abilities and pve content back to level 85 where it should be. No item in Cataclysm should have a level higher than 90 for the absolute best item.
    This post has proved to be prophetic. The overscaling of gear is at the root of wow's problems. By slapping level 350-400+ gear on level 85 characters, character level becomes meaningless and gear becomes everything. The contribution to stats from character level in wow is now about 10%. There is no way that pvp and pve can possibly be balanced with that kind of overscaling of gear. My 2 handed epic pvp weapon of choice in wow classic was the Unstoppable Force and topped out at 60 dps plus stats. In cata, a 600 dps weapon is average. That is a tenfold increase from level 60 to level 85. It is no wonder that in wow pvp and pve player skill matters so little and gear matters so much. Of course resilience is needed in pvp because pvp is impossible to balance when level 85 characters are wearing level 400 gear. To the wow devs, I told you so. You have now lost hundreds of thousands of subscribers due to the fact that your game just isnt very fun to play anymore. For those who stick with wow, you can look forward to being wow classic Molten Core raid bosses at level 100 with 1,000,000 hit points.

Now we come to RIFT where gear is important but it is not everything. Spec, skill and character level also matter. However, there are ominous signs that RIFT is going down the same gear-centric path that WoW did. The overscaling of pvp gear from rank 1 to rank 6 is the biggest problem in RIFT pvp balance. It is very discouraging for a new level 50 to be 1, 2 or 3 shotted in a warfront by someone wearing much higher rank gear. Either the gear needs to be toned down at higher ranks or the ranks need to be separated into brackets, ie. ranks 1-3 in one bracket and ranks 4-6 in another.

Why are you calling out to Blizzard dev's on a Trion board?

Quote Originally Posted by Helmholz View Post
    I assure you, blizzard reads these forums. I am not really calling out blizzard, they stopped listening to customers long ago, if they ever did listen to them. Trion does listen to their customers. This is a cautionary tale about the dangers of gear inflation. Gear inflation happens in every mmorpg, hopefully it wont get out of hand like it did in wow.

Quote Originally Posted by blackweb View Post
    I assure you, blizzard reads these forums. I am not really calling out blizzard, they stopped listening to customers long ago, if they ever did listen to them. Trion does listen to their customers. This is a cautionary tale about the dangers of gear inflation. Gear inflation happens in every mmorpg, hopefully it wont get out of hand like it did in wow.
    How are you not really calling out to them? You're calling out to them in the thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by Helmholz View Post
    Is calling out the wow devs a problem in the off-topic forum?

Seems to me like they arent listening, except maybe to the fact that they have lost 600k subscribers, mostly to rift. In fact, judging by the wow devs history, they are more interested in copying others games than building their own. Many features of wow have been pirated from other mmos including RIFT. Again, I assure you, the wow devs read this forum. I bleieve that they are more interested in reading this forum, than they are their own forums.

+ Reply to Thread