+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WTF is it with complaints about "nerfing"?

Default WTF is it with complaints about "nerfing"?

So, since I got back into MMOs a few years ago, there has been one true constant. People complaining about "nerfs" that make their characters "unplayable".

So far, I've never actually seen a character cease being playable. Heck, I've not yet seen a character cease being fun and viable and pretty decent overall. Furthermore, over the longer run, I consistently see that everyone ends up at least a bit more powerful than they started, except when there are serious and unambiguous balance bugs being fixed. (I don't think "clerics can no longer one-shot practice dummies" counts as a significant nerf...)

So why do people complain about this?
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Rich Aemry

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    So, since I got back into MMOs a few years ago, there has been one true constant. People complaining about "nerfs" that make their characters "unplayable"...So why do people complain about this?
    Two reasons:
    1. Most people prefer the devil they know to the devil they don't know. Even if the game has broken underpowered and unbalanced classes, most people learned to play that class that way. Balancing patches require them to relearn at least in part how to play a toon they have significant time invested in. Devs should only issue the patches with much caution IMO since a slightly broken game, but stable game is better than a game with zero balance issues where no one ever knows how their toon will play from one hotfix to the next.

2. Some players are whiny and play the broken classes because they place their self worth in their ability to play a videogame better than some random person online. That type of player can rarely play well enough to adjust to a level playing field; once they can no longer win easily their self worth is affected and a temper tantrum ensues.

Ascendant

Whiny bastard, you got me warning. Uh, you just another whining kid dude, well if you're even one..
    Last edited by June; 06-22-2011 at 06:59 AM.

Rich Aemry

Quote Originally Posted by June View Post
    Whiny bastard, you got me warning. Uh, you just another whining kid dude, well if you're even one..
    You're mistaken if you think I reported you, I'm not that petty.

Please don't derail a viable discussion.
    Last edited by Rich Aemry; 06-22-2011 at 07:05 AM.

Ascendant

Thats ok, Ill follow what kind of exciting conversation you kids get, look like its booming already.
    Last edited by June; 06-22-2011 at 07:08 AM.

+ Reply to Thread