+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Server Community

Default Server Community

I remember when being in a certain server was a home to all who resided there. Everyone would be closely knitted together for a tight community, and then there were those who all knew to be the 'big shots'. I long for the days when this was the case, but it seems as games now days have communities that just are put on backwards and aimlessly just play the game to be in crowds.

Anyone else wanting Rift to bring back this old feeling of having a home within a server?
    Howdy

I definately agree here but I couldnt find any info on what type of server(s) Rift will be on.

What kind of server(s) is Rift going to use? A single server like EVE or FE or multiple independant servers like EQ or WoW. Multiple servers splits up the community but was a neccessity in the early days of MMOGs, though they do create smaller and potentially tighter knit communities. In Fallen Earth the social experience is quite mature and a pleasure most of the time perhaps because people know if they consistently show disrespect for others that they will attain a bad reputation and once labeled there is nowhere else for them to go. You can change your name there but it costs real money and nobody likes throwing dough away.
    MMOGs Played:EQ, DDO(SubBased), WoW, EQ2, EveOnline(Trial), FE

Quote Originally Posted by Thallius View Post
    I definately agree here but I couldnt find any info on what type of server(s) Rift will be on.

What kind of server(s) is Rift going to use? A single server like EVE or FE or multiple independant servers like EQ or WoW. Multiple servers splits up the community but was a neccessity in the early days of MMOGs, though they do create smaller and potentially tighter knit communities. In Fallen Earth the social experience is quite mature and a pleasure most of the time perhaps because people know if they consistently show disrespect for others that they will attain a bad reputation and once labeled there is nowhere else for them to go. You can change your name there but it costs real money and nobody likes throwing dough away.
    Rift will use the multiple server approach.

Either way, it's primarily up to the players to establish their communities, not Trion. There isn't much they can do really. I, personally, haven't had too many issues with MMOs not offering me that server community feel though.

Never played on a server that had a tight-knit community. Sounds like a good idea to me--it would be like one giant guild :P
    How would we go about keeping a server like that, though?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatrix View Post
    Never played on a server that had a tight-knit community. Sounds like a good idea to me--it would be like one giant guild :P
    How would we go about keeping a server like that, though?
    Such as Souper said. It is strictly up to the server base population. If you have never experience one of these, you are missing out in the MMO world, trust me, nothing better than having a close knit community. Of course not everyone will know each other, but the people that take the game more serious will.
    Howdy

I hear you guys 100%. I am new to the MMO genre and I will be the first to admit it, but when it comes to tight-knit communities I understand. Back in SOCOM: US Navy Seals everyone had their on close community depending on what server you were in. They had East 1- 20, West 1-20, Europe 1-20, etc. and you went to a specific server every night and played with people you knew and built friendships with ( US EAST 6 for ME). It does depend on the community itself and would be awesome if we could all come up with a server from day 1 when the game launches. Fun stuff

I agree with wanting a tight knit home. I would also like to see a way of lessening the impact of elitism amongst players that you see in games such as WoW, where if you are not of the top guilds and top raiders you mean nothing. I hope that Rift will bring about a less individualistic view of the server society and instead push and encourage people to work together with the whole server community where everyone can be viewed on by merit of the effort they put into common goals. But again this could just be the social worker in me looking for a more positive egalitarian game, and less of a "e-peen" and "ego" centric gaming environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenwolf View Post
    I agree with wanting a tight knit home. I would also like to see a way of lessening the impact of elitism amongst players that you see in games such as WoW, where if you are not of the top guilds and top raiders you mean nothing. I hope that Rift will bring about a less individualistic view of the server society and instead push and encourage people to work together with the whole server community where everyone can be viewed on by merit of the effort they put into common goals. But again this could just be the social worker in me looking for a more positive egalitarian game, and less of a "e-peen" and "ego" centric gaming environment.
    This all depended on the individuals. I've known guilds that were way among the others, but they still took the time to help the server out, run smaller guilds through instances. They would also select individuals to teach all they needed to know about endgame, gear them, and send them on their way to help other groups. So in the end, its all up to how some people react to being top-dawg.
    Howdy

Quote Originally Posted by Chempo View Post
    This all depended on the individuals. I've known guilds that were way among the others, but they still took the time to help the server out, run smaller guilds through instances. They would also select individuals to teach all they needed to know about endgame, gear them, and send them on their way to help other groups. So in the end, its all up to how some people react to being top-dawg.
    This is true but what I am suggesting is that this social dynamic be taken into account during development by possibly have rewards and incentives for helping others and creating a holistic community because in reality people rarely do kind acts out of purly altruistic intensions and will need that type of motivation, since the type of players you described are very rare in current game environments.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenwolf View Post
    This is true but what I am suggesting is that this social dynamic be taken into account during development by possibly have rewards and incentives for helping others and creating a holistic community because in reality people rarely do kind acts out of purly altruistic intensions and will need that type of motivation, since the type of players you described are very rare in current game environments.
    Heh then you would still have the end-gamers helping lowbies out for personal gain, wouldn't change much. And the such players are much more common than you may expect...in fact they are quite common.

#retiredBear #teamBBCs #puffForeverMad

man when I was in SWG pre-nge pre-cu our server comunity was so close,

i miss those days so much, it was really my hoem away from home... we must be able to do this in Rift

Join us in the IRC | The Original Rift Wiki: Telarapedia
    The Rift Pod cast: Rift Pod cast | Rift IRC: Rift IRC

Its all up to the players. 110% up to the players, development will have no say in how a community is built or maintained. It all comes to player dynamics. Player driven economies, quest hubs, social cities, roleplayers, LFG channels, guild interaction, drama (yes drama does tie into community building), grouping/raiding. Toss it into a mixed bag and boom, community.

Add in ego/e-peen and it goes to hell but yeah..

On a slightly different but the same topic, I think that developers could control some of the negative aspects of the community through more strict penalties and less lenient dealing with those who get reported by other people. For example, when you have gold spammers or just irritating foul languaged people spamming the global chat boxes so that it disrupts the gameplay for other people. Even after being reported it can take a long time for the GM's to address it and when they do they often do a light tap on the wrist, tell them to behave but no actual change has occured. I know the individual player could put these people on ignore easily, however when the people in question continue to do it, changing the character they are on, they easily penetrate the "ignore" wall with minimal effort. And for the believers of free speech and the ability of someone to spout prejudice or perverse comments throughout public chat, there should be some limits on that freedom when it conflicts with other individuals freedom to have a pleasant and enjoyable gaming experience. This is especially important in MMORPGs that are not confined within national or racial borders, they are world wide communities with members from all cultures and backgrounds.

I believe that falls more under how much GM monitoring will take place. There's a fine line between running off at the mouth and having a constructive arguement. People who tend to display such behavior cast themselves out. I don't believe it has an adverse effect on the community, in fact it could help strengthen the community as typically they won't stand for it. Now in most cases, its usually a band or guild of such individuals that does these kinds of things and yeah they isolate themselves away from everyone else.

GM's have the job of implementing the strategies put into place by the developers. So when creating the game I believe a more streamlined approach to reporting insulting behaviour and very clear rules and ramifications would benefit the rest of the community and possibly empower them to feel as if they actually have some even minor level of control over what sort of behaviours they commonly dislike. Common goals are central to better bonding in communities but they need to feel empowered enough that they can affect and impact upon these goals.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast