+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do some guys play girl characters?

Rift Chaser

Default Why do some guys play girl characters?

I've always wondered this, years ago when I first started playing mmo's back in the days of original everquest I was told from a few people that guys play girls in order to get free stuff from people.. because back then people used to give stuff away quite frequently because nothing was boe or bop.

I tried playing a girl character once, got hit on by two different guys in the same day (no joke) when I hadn't even talked to them and called it quits because it just felt weird having everyone assume I was a girl.

So as a genuine question, because I honestly think most of the girls running around are actually guys in mmo's.. if you do it.. why do you do it?

Because those toons invariably have nicer butts than the guy toons.
    If I'm gonna spend 12 hours a day, staring at a butt... it might as well be a nice looking one.

Quote Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
    I've always wondered this, years ago when I first started playing mmo's back in the days of original everquest I was told from a few people that guys play girls in order to get free stuff from people.. because back then people used to give stuff away quite frequently because nothing was boe or bop.

I tried playing a girl character once, got hit on by two different guys in the same day (no joke) when I hadn't even talked to them and called it quits because it just felt weird having everyone assume I was a girl.

So as a genuine question, because I honestly think most of the girls running around are actually guys in mmo's.. if you do it.. why do you do it?
    I really don't know - I play a character that I try to model as much after me as possiible. I have asked guildies why they play female characters and some of them just prefer to look at the female form when they play - no interest in roleplaying at all. I can see that benefit, even if it is a video game!

There was a thread about this back in March I think, it was several pages long.

Guys play what they like regardless of what other guys think. Some like to play girls because they like looking at the model when they are playing. Some guys play girls because they would rather be a girl and feel more comfortable playing one. Some guys just play girls because the male models are so incredibly fugly (wow for example)... and finally some guys play girls because as you noted, they get free stuff. But of all these, the last ones are the most obviously male.

But on another note, not all female characters are guys. Alot yes, but not all. MOST girls will never admit to being a girl because they dont want to be stalked or harassed. Other girls will actually play guy characters for some of the same reasons mentioned above.
    :: Ceileigh Amberlight - Dwarf Engineer :: Nimhue Amberlight - Dwarf Druid :: Faeblight ::

Guys are going to tell you it's because they prefer staring at a female toons backside rather than a male toons. And I'm sure there's some merit to that for certain hyperactive libido disorders. But some people don't see the characters as an extension of themselves, but more like the characters in a book or movie.

I frequently play both male and female toons, just to define a character in my mind, and not so much to represent me. I get enough of myself in RL :P
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Ascendant

Generally when I play a game I make two male characters and than a female. I have names for all of them that I use in any game I play. Just mixes it up is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    Guys are going to tell you it's because they prefer staring at a female toons backside rather than a male toons. And I'm sure there's some merit to that for certain hyperactive libido disorders. But some people don't see the characters as an extension of themselves, but more like the characters in a book or movie.

I frequently play both male and female toons, just to define a character in my mind, and not so much to represent me. I get enough of myself in RL :P
    And theres this... lol Thats a good example of what RP is as well.
    :: Ceileigh Amberlight - Dwarf Engineer :: Nimhue Amberlight - Dwarf Druid :: Faeblight ::

Sez

I don't play a female toon for two reasons:

1. When someone refers to me, I don't want them to say "She is a good/bad player."

2. I don't want dudes hitting on me.

As for the argument of "I prefer stairing at a female butt," Uh, yeah, everyone does. If I wanted to stair at a woman's butt, I would invite my girlfriend over, or watch an adult movie, or look at a magazine.

If you need to fight dragons as a chick in a thong, then you are strange in my opinion.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

What an awesome and original thread!

Oh it's THIS thread again.

To cut it short, I play a woman character because I'm gay/furry/struggling with my inner woman. There, the ******** has been thrown.
    Last edited by Chomag; 06-21-2011 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post

To cut it short, I play a woman character because I'm gay/furry/struggling with my inner woman. There, the ******** has been thrown.
    I love Chomag.

I don't comprehend gender identity. I know most people think of thhemselves as male or female, but it makes no sense to me to identify strongly with it. So I make characters whatever they ought to be for the concept.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post

To cut it short, I play a woman character because I'm gay/FURRY/struggling with my inner woman. There, the ******** has been thrown.
    LOL If this game had furries, then I could see this being a valid option :P
    Last edited by FoxMaiden; 06-21-2011 at 01:11 PM.

I game with my wife. We have 2 couples.. a male/female and a female/female. I actually enjoy playing both a male and a female character. Me and my wife try to see who can make their female character look the most whorish.

In MMO's in general, I find it very difficult to imagine the character as an extension of myself. It makes no difference if it is male or female as it is simply a toon I move around on the screen. I will usually pick whichever gender has cooler looking armor with the class I want to play.

I am sure there are dozens or hundreds of different reasons why guys plays girl characters, depending on how secure/insecure they are or what they want out of their gaming experience... or who knows how many other variables.

Girl toons always look better. Its really that simple. After playing a number of them over the years I just find its more comfortable.

Sunspots the Retired
    Once R8 Guardian Cleric of Seastone
    Proud Alumni of [breaking bads]

Observe my Past Glory in Video Format here!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast