+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: IGN Article re MMO's

Soulwalker

Default IGN Article re MMO's

Just curious of people's thoughts on this article... I think its pretty well written, not completely desparaging the genre but making some valid points. Need to update the ideology of MMO's I think everyone can at least agree on that.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/117/1177008p1.html

Still love Rift, but take some of this advice it will help when these games get released that you are not left behind. Being like WoW (despite the great income it provides) is not ALWAYS the way to go, take some bold moves forward and be yourself!
    Server: Seastone Faction: Defiant Characters: Tigerhawk, Blackhawx

[Duke examines the Duke Nukem II arcade machine]
    Duke Nukem: Hmm, don't have time to play with myself.

Ascendant

Those are two games I've been waiting for. I'm playing Rift as something to do to pass time, till one of those two games come out.

Though the Guild Wars 2 video they put in there is ridiculous and shows nothing about the game. You'd be much better off googling the MMO Manifesto.

They picked a pretty poor example to show off GW2 Combat.

Which is annoying, because a half decent player would show how fighting a mob is actually really interactive and fun. One of the main selling points IMO.
    "It always sound scarier when a hollerer talk soft."

Rift Disciple

for me honestly, I don't mind grinding.

I like MMo's for kinda relaxation. for me its just kinda fun to hang out and figure out your strategy.

but, that gameplay on GW2 looked cool. (but bad quality i see)

I just like the relaxation part of MMOs if that makes sense
    Last edited by sandpaper3; 06-20-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by sandpaper3 View Post
    for me honestly, I don't mind grinding.

I like MMo's for kinda relaxation. for me its just kinda fun to hang out and figure out your strategy.

but, that gameplay on GW2 looked cool. (but bad quality i see)

I just like the relaxation part of MMOs if that makes sense
    Every MMO should have relaxing bits...things to do during down time. They should also have challenges. But you may not get what is meant by grinding. Even the person who wrote that article didn't.

Leveling in Rift wasn't grinding. You moved through different quests to get to the next area. Not a grind. You never ran out of quests, or shouldn't have, before you hit max level.

In Rift, however, rep grind at 50 is a grind. The same quests over and over, day after day until you max the rep. It's dull as dishwater. Not my cup of tea at all.

It's not just about grinding for leveling. It's about doing the same dungeons over and over and over just to gear up for the next set of dungeons you're going to repeat over and over and over.

This is the kind of grind that's killing MMOs, not leveling grind. This is the kind of grind fans need to walk away from. Well, the ones who don't like it anyway.

I just don't know how anyone, who has either played GW2 at a convention, or watched all the combat videos on youtube, can really find enjoyment in standing in 1 spot, killing a mob with almost no interaction whatsoever.

Considering how much of the game is killing things, i see that as a major reason why MMOs are just boring as hell and only worth playing if you're happy with being part of a Skinner's box that requires a monthly sub.

Shadowlander

If you would like to get a better feel for how GW2 will play out I would suggest going to youtube and searching Guild Wars2 gameplay. Many many hours of video. Cant wait for it to come out, (hopefully this year)
    We have enough youth, how about a fountain of 'smart'?

Quote Originally Posted by brianw4300 View Post
    I pay for my subscription just like you and i can use the forums however i like.

Been following Secret World for years now, and have taken place in some of the ARGs FC has started regarding the game. Simply cannot wait for this to come out, and friends me and my wife have made through 16 MMOs are going to converge on it in a small army. Creating a cabal will be the first step, then there's just no telling.

Dragon for life.. ;)

Dark days are coming... (grin)
    Principally I hate and detest that animal called man; although I heartily love John, Peter, Thomas, and so forth.

Atrum Dies Es Coming...

Quote Originally Posted by Dementer View Post
    If you would like to get a better feel for how GW2 will play out I would suggest going to youtube and searching Guild Wars2 gameplay. Many many hours of video. Cant wait for it to come out, (hopefully this year)
    Yeah

The videos showing character creation are great aswell, the whole personal story and background as well as player housing are just great.

The people who fob it off as just another MMO, are really missing out on what a truly awesome game it is going to be.

It makes the idea of Rift being a "dynamic game world" laughable at best.

Edit : I feel i'm ranting slightly, sorry. Alcohol combined with spotting a GW2 thread in this forum is not a good combo for me.
    Last edited by x Ze x; 06-20-2011 at 02:28 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by x Ze x View Post
    Yeah

The videos showing character creation are great aswell, the whole personal story and background as well as player housing are just great.

The people who fob it off as just another MMO, are really missing out on what a truly awesome game it is going to be.

It makes the idea of Rift being a "dynamic game world" laughable at best.

Edit : I feel i'm ranting slightly, sorry. Alcohol combined with spotting a GW2 thread in this forum is not a good combo for me.
    There is no player housing in Guild Wars 2. You get an instanced area that changes based on choices you make but it's nothing like player housing...just thought I should let you know.

Good read so far; he makes many good points but ultimately, I can't help but wonder: do gamers really want what games like GW2 and Secret World offer?

I know *I* do - but in my time in WoW, I have seen thousands of people who are there for the high. This is not a casual or hardcore thing. It's the "I don't really care about the game, gimme my gear, show me my big numbers!" attitude.

It's why I predict the "failure" (in EA's eyes) of SWTOR. I don't think the instant crowd that makes up the vast majority of WoW's playerbase will enjoy having to listen to text. I mean they skip quest text!

Many of the points brought up in the article make me think that the MMO genre needs to return to it's non-mainstream niche for the genre to truly go to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by nagennif View Post
    There is no player housing in Guild Wars 2. You get an instanced area that changes based on choices you make but it's nothing like player housing...just thought I should let you know.
    Yeah thanks, that's what i was 'trying' to refer to.

Quote Originally Posted by empyrean View Post
    Good read so far; he makes many good points but ultimately, I can't help but wonder: do gamers really want what games like GW2 and Secret World offer?

I know *I* do - but in my time in WoW, I have seen thousands of people who are there for the high. This is not a casual or hardcore thing. It's the "I don't really care about the game, gimme my gear, show me my big numbers!" attitude.

It's why I predict the "failure" (in EA's eyes) of SWTOR. I don't think the instant crowd that makes up the vast majority of WoW's playerbase will enjoy having to listen to text. I mean they skip quest text!

Many of the points brought up in the article make me think that the MMO genre needs to return to it's non-mainstream niche for the genre to truly go to the next level.

I think you are right, a lot of people play for the constant small thrills, however irrelevant they seem to outside onlookers. But that's purely a Skinner's box, and really isn't how game companies should be developing their games.

Personally i want great gameplay and story, and not a little electrical pulse in my brain that keeps me playing despite my lack of actual enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by x Ze x View Post
    I think you are right, a lot of people play for the constant small thrills, however irrelevant they seem to outside onlookers. But that's purely a Skinner's box, and really isn't how game companies should be developing their games.

Personally i want great gameplay and story, and not a little electrical pulse in my brain that keeps me playing despite my lack of actual enjoyment.

Oh god, I await these games with MUCH anticipation... *droool*
    If it bleeds, we can kill it.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by empyrean View Post

Not all players, certainly but lots of players are looking for depth, not just phat lootz.

Think of it this way. A lot of people play and enjoy single player games. Those players avoid MMOs altogether, or many do, because MMOs aren't as deep. But if you create a deep MMO with a real story and character development, you might end up losing half your MMO population and picking up half the single player game population. Especially a buy to play game with no monthly charge like Guild Wars 2.

I don't expect raiders to go to Guild Wars 2, but I do expect a lot of PVPers to go there. 3 faction RvR is what a lot of PVPers are asking for, and GW 2 is going to offer that.

Will it be WoW? Nope. Why should it have to be?

Will it be very successful? The first Guild Wars, which wasn't a true MMO, sold over 7 million copies. The odds are at least some of those players will move up to Guild Wars 2. I can certainly see the appeal of having a personal storyline in an MMO (even though that wasn't mentioned in the article).

And I can certainly see the advantage of getting rid of the standard quest system and the holy trinity of MMOs.

In fact, long before Guild Wars 2 annouced these changes, I was already asking when someone was going to do it already.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast