+ Reply to Thread

Thread: This is the main reason I left World of Warcraft.

Default This is the main reason I left World of Warcraft.

Dev Watercooler’ is a blog series that provides an inside look into the thoughts and discussions happening within the World of Warcraft development team. In our first entry, Lead Systems Designer Greg "Ghostctrawler" Street laid down a few ground rules:

1. No promises are being made in these Dev Watercooler blogs.

2. Don’t read too much between the lines.

3. No complaints about the topic not being what you want to see covered.

I hate the "Your gonna listen to what I say. If u don't like it too bad. If you do complain we will ban you" attitude in WoW. I absolutely hated it that you disagreed with alot of there changes the banhammer fell hard. They got so big over the years that they began to bully the player base with no consequence.

Trion, I thank you for being so open with us and not being so over obsessive with the banning. We may get out of hand once in a while but you always listen and atleast try to soothe the anger. You really are trying and I admire it.

Now Blizzard will never get another dime from me ever again on any MMO. They really need to take a step back and relise that there attitudes need some serious adjustment.

Thanks
    Account Cancelled 03/10/2013
    0 Months paid game time remaining.
    Bring the fun back into Rift.

I must say that Trion has done a great job in trying to keep the new content coming, to satiate the bloodlust of the PvE crowd. 3 months into release and another "world event" I hope it is functional this time.
    The PvP crowd has been pretty much ignored up to this point, with no real ORvR content that would challenge the PvP crowd to control areas or resources,keeps etc. for special bonuses or whatever.
    I hope they can deliver a 2 server ruleset, 1 for PvP and 1 for PvE for spell damage,melee, healing etc. And also, some more PvP centric gear that doesn't take a back seat to PvE gear......

Agreed.

Blizz just stopped listening to the playerbase. They spent time on nerfing things that were fun, like shapeshift items, ToL form, and tons of other stuff, instead of making a game.

There were several full threads, and a 400+ page thread on the forums about the appearance tab, and it was months until Blizz even aknowledged it.

TRION made it within 2 months.

Bravo, TRION, you get my vote. If it weren't for Nyx's slowly dying atmosphere of Defiants roasting each other alive and hacking Guardians to bits while they eat small children.....

Nevermind. I remember why I rolled on that shard now.

It took a lot more reasons than just that, but yes... that was one of the reasons I left as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Essala View Post
    I hate the "Your gonna listen to what I say. If u don't like it too bad. If you do complain we will ban you" attitude in WoW. I absolutely hated it that you disagreed with alot of there changes the banhammer fell hard. They got so big over the years that they began to bully the player base with no consequence.

Trion, I thank you for being so open with us and not being so over obsessive with the banning. We may get out of hand once in a while but you always listen and atleast try to soothe the anger. You really are trying and I admire it.

Now Blizzard will never get another dime from me ever again on any MMO. They really need to take a step back and relise that there attitudes need some serious adjustment.

Thanks
    Yep, the devs and forum moderators there certainly were arrogant.

"We will change your favorite part of the game until it's no longer recognizable, we will ignore all forum threads begging us not to make that change, and you will LIKE the change because we say so! Oh, and if you complain, we will ban you from the forum, as well!"

When people don't like an upcoming idea, and they care enough to post about it with well-reasoned criticism, they're communicating that they like the game and think the change will have a negative effect.

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/weeklyfactionactivity.php <-- still trending downward. I read that subscription losses are projected to be around 1 million by the end of June. An 8% loss of customers is not trivial!

I appreciate the fact that the forum moderators here don't automatically take a "the customer is always wrong" approach. They seem to take time to read the threads, and post a (usually) appropriate reason as to why a thread was closed.

Soulwalker

Well at the start of WoW they listened to people, but over time people started complaining in all directions, and then the game got so bloated that it'd be unreasonable to listen to everybody, however Rift is still small, they have the wiggle room to make a few cosmetic changes without fear of losing a subscription base over lack of actual end game content.

Wow has enough gold farmers subscribing to the game that they dont need to worry about loosing customers when they nerf or obliterate something loved (like Darkshore).

Also I think the devs at Blizzard dont get the idea of a "watercooler" Its where EVERYONE gets to talk, not just the dev posting the article. If they wanted a platform to browbeat their customers, they should have called it a Soapbox.
    Last edited by FoxMaiden; 06-19-2011 at 06:21 AM.
    :: Ceileigh Amberlight - Dwarf Engineer :: Nimhue Amberlight - Dwarf Druid :: Faeblight ::

Shield of Telara

Some people in the WoW general forum whine and groan about anything and everything, even to the personal expence of their fellow players? :|
    Last edited by Lienda; 06-19-2011 at 11:04 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Lienda View Post
    Some people in the WoW general forum whine and groan about anything and everything, even to the personal expence of their fellow players? :|
    Just like on theese forums

Thanks
    this is a true story and a cautionary tale. Keep it up.
    Thanks for the haircuts.

Agreed.

It was a big reason for my leaving as well. That "watercooler" nonsense that Ghostcrawler is now posting is just making things worse. From the replies on this thread, I have to wonder, why do they think those blogs are such a good idea? All he does is rag on the consumers with this terrible, "If you don't like it, beat it," attitude. There is no room for response or constructive criticism. He treats everyone like all they ever do is sit and flame the developers. It's so bitter and angry. I hate being treated like that.

I saw a list the other day of "reasons why RIFT > Some Other Game" that had been created by another thread. "No Ghostcrawler" was #2. And hell, I agreed with it.

I love TRION's attitude. They're wonderful here! And I hope they keep it up. I hope they don't get burned out and become bitter with the attitudes of ungrateful customers and continue to treat us all with some respect.

Some people say, "Oh, RIFT is just like WoW. You should just play WoW." You know what? It's not. The attitudes are completely different here. Blizzard is rude, sarcastic, and cynical. They make fun of their players and then ban anyone who has a problem with it. They're bullies. But TRION is nicer. I've seen some comments where they've been firm, but you can tell, their attitudes are a complete 180 of Blizzard. They're patient, happy, and they listen to their customers.

I was really skeptical with Trion's attitude when they released their advertisement campaign but... they really backed their words up.

The idea of RIFTS is just amazing, such a great way to bring people together in game world interaction across Telara. (needs some work imo) but invasions are a great way to make you feel like you are protecting your zones, and I do agree it needs to be worse if you fail, so that you feel like you lost the zone for a while. (Fight to take it back!)

But Trion Worlds is a great company - one i hope to work for some day if i can break into the industry - genius companies with great ideas are always fun to subscribe to and I look forward to their new game, the mmorts - End of Nations

The rule for that 1 forum is that you cannot complain. They are using it as a tool to let you know what they are thinking. On another point they fixed vanish so it IS working as intended!

Soulwalker

Qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

+ Reply to Thread