+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Don't any of you ever misss....

Default Don't any of you ever misss....

-Things in EQ like dungeon crawling threw ToFS, or old Seb?
    - Camping the FBSS or ragefire? (I know a week spawn time would be terrible)
    - Doing the coldain ring event where the whole zone got involved....
    - Coming up to a mob and truly being lik Holy *** that is bad***
    - Open world content like avatars in EQ2 or the Sleeper in EQ1/naggy/Vox
    - Or getting your whole guild Keys b4 you could move on in PoAir.. (the original PoA)

There is so much more i could go on to post... but don't you guys want to see some things like that here? SO open world content that truly means something to go after? Or how about epics that are actually epics instead of the eh its another purple... (acting like its a blue item)

Rift has so much potential... I just wish they would add in some open world content.. make that 1 item for each class badass and hard to obtain... Something that i could work for and be proud to get when i got it. This game has great GREAT potential.. I just wish they would add in some content like this for us all.... I miss a lot of it.. (and no im not going back to EQ... just wish they would take some of EQ here)

/discuss!
    Last edited by Fzeus; 06-17-2011 at 05:31 AM.

My system: i3 3.5ghz processor, Asus GeForce 450 1gig 128bit GDDR5, 2x4GiG Corsair 2000 mem, Samsung B-ray, Coolmaster HEF case, 650PW supply and win 7 64bit Home Proffesional.. Also a few other mods..

Rift Disciple

Nope... sorry. That's exactly why I avoided oldschool MMOs, like EQ, UO, AC, Lineage and stuff.

It wasn't until Star Wars Galaxies and Dark Age of Camelot when MMOs were slowly started to catter more to casuals with the OPTION to play hardcore if I chose to, that I really got into MMOs.

Never liked'em, never missed'em, and I hope they stay buried away!

Rift Chaser

Yes i miss old non scripted content so much!
    I miss rare mobs being rare!
    i miss the randomness of older games like EQ.
    I miss dungeon crawling so much...though Rifts dungeons arent that bad to be fair, theres just not enough of them..at the moment!

I miss the whole adventure aspect of older games.

EQ was set up to be a world for you to adventure in. Levelling was something that happened while you were adventuring and...well grinding i suppose, but not just for levels. I remember i had been playing for months before there was a server wide anouncment that someone had reached max level.

Modern games are set up for levelling..dungeons etc are something that you can experience while levelling. Everything is an afterthough compared to levelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Fzeus View Post
    -Rift has so much potential... I just wish they would add in some open world content..

/discuss!
    Agreed, which is why so many of us want to kick Trion squarely in the rear by posting it on these forums before they are trapped and start doing kneejerk changes.

Warhammer was the perfect example of a game that had 'potential'. Their problem (and soon to be Trion's) is that they are a reactionary company.

WAR players- "Put in more Open RvR. Make the lakes/open world content more accessible and important for players, not dungeon crawling for gearsets. Fix these stupid forts! My server is dead/dying.. I want to get off of it."

WAR- Yep, we are actively looking into that and have some exciting stuff on the way for you! Stay tuned!

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Systhro View Post
    Nope... sorry. That's exactly why I avoided oldschool MMOs, like EQ, UO, AC, Lineage and stuff.

It wasn't until Star Wars Galaxies and Dark Age of Camelot when MMOs were slowly started to catter more to casuals with the OPTION to play hardcore if I chose to, that I really got into MMOs.

Never liked'em, never missed'em, and I hope they stay buried away!
    Sadly i never experienced DaoC untill it was too late and dead ( i feel like i missed out from what people say ) Though i did think it was much more akin to EQ than modern games...kind of EQ with pvp for me.
    Admittedly i only played it for a few months though so i could be way of the mark.

Ascendant

Better left as a memory.

Prophet of Telara

I think if enough people truly missed games with that style they would be doing better.

For whatever reason people left that behind and game companies like all businesses react to demand.

Quote Originally Posted by -Beck- View Post
    I think if enough people truly missed games with that style they would be doing better.

For whatever reason people left that behind and game companies like all businesses react to demand.
    I so agree with you on this!

My system: i3 3.5ghz processor, Asus GeForce 450 1gig 128bit GDDR5, 2x4GiG Corsair 2000 mem, Samsung B-ray, Coolmaster HEF case, 650PW supply and win 7 64bit Home Proffesional.. Also a few other mods..

Soulwalker

Yes, yes, and yes! I miss all of that. I think that even though we loved that experience, newer games are being made easier in order for the company to make more money. The sad fact is that we are in the minority and games simply can not be as lucrative with that format. The problem that I have is that the easy mode has just gotten out of hand. They needed to make some very fine, delicate, precision adjustments and they used a sledgehammer.

I think there is a way to provide both to the players and still remain profitable. You brought up a great point with epics. Just give each class an epic weapon, make the drops for the quest updates come from raid encounters and make it awesome. That system was never broke, why did everyone try to fix it? If you want to add a casual aspect to it, fine. Make the raid boss drop that item for everyone who needs it in the raid and not just one. Still epic, still hard to obtain, but really something to work on and look forward to.

I agree with you %100 this game has the potential to be great. Will it be the first game to make some things more difficult as the game progresses? Or will it be a downward spiral of everything getting easier and easier until it is no longer fun for people like us?

I'd love to see an updated version of EQ1...as popular as WoW has been I honestly think if a company could combine the best of BOTH worlds it would make for one heck of a game.
    http://www.axiomfiles.com/Files/391408/SigJulianna01.jpg

Plane Touched

I played EQ almost from launch and until just about a year ago, was in an end game guild, etc, etc.

You listed many positives about the EQ experience but did not list any of the negatives really. The positive generally outweighed the negatives but the negatives were enough to get people very angry, which a game shouldn't be doing.

I can't count the number of times guilds would come in and trample past you for a boss while you did all the work and cleared the trash in an open world dungeon.

I also can't count the number of times another guild sent out their "enforcers" to wipe you, train, you,etc while you were prepping or mid fight on an open world boss.

Having to choose between having a life or finishing a quest also is not on the positive side of what EQ brought to the table.

As soon as you introduce rare mob spawns that drop specific items that tremendously bump up a class that same thing will happen here.. I personally don't want that, that isn't what this game was designed around.

As for the "keying" thing, hell no... spending months factioning to obtain a key or having to kill dragons to get a single key each time with the entire server camping them? No thanks, never again.

I will agree the coldain ring quest was great and rift is perfectly set up to allow that and I think we will see it.

EQ has basically died for a number of reasons, first the idiots created EQ2 and broke up a tight knit community which then led to most of them leaving EQ2 and going to WOW since their "addiction" to EQ1 was gone.

SOE tried to make EQ1 compete with WoW, which they shouldn't have done, EQ1 was always a more hardcore game and they started making obtaining gear ridiculously easy and this made the hardcore players upset. It was very frustrating to finish an expansion and then a new one come out and see gear dropping off trash that was almost as good as what you worked a year for. That playstyle has its place too but they shouldn't mix in my opinion.

Once the community broke in EQ, it was the beginning of the end because that is the thing that held that game together.

Rift is what it is and they are responding well to the community, it will do fine.
    Last edited by PanaDW; 06-17-2011 at 06:16 AM.

No other gaming experience has rivaled the comaraderie I had with my guild in old EQ on the FV server.

BUT I also had the experience of sitting in a hotel room in Hawaii on my computer while my children and husband were out playing in the sun. I won't ever play a game again that requires the kind of dedication that EQ did. It's amazing, but, man, that's just messed up. Life's too short to spend it camping some mob.

I've experienced all of these things but I do not miss any of them. For those of you that do, luckily these games are still online and you can go re-live these moments at any time

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Obscurewing View Post
    No other gaming experience has rivaled the comaraderie I had with my guild in old EQ on the FV server.

BUT I also had the experience of sitting in a hotel room in Hawaii on my computer while my children and husband were out playing in the sun. I won't ever play a game again that requires the kind of dedication that EQ did. It's amazing, but, man, that's just messed up. Life's too short to spend it camping some mob.
    That's a sad story... they didn't call it Evercrack for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by -Beck- View Post
    That's a sad story... they didn't call it Evercrack for nothing.

You can easily get on a hacked server these days where hitting level cap can be done in a few minutes though

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast