+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: so why is no one logging in anymore? --not trolling

Rift Disciple

Thumbs up so why is no one logging in anymore? --not trolling

I personally haven't logged in to this game in about 20 days. One of the other forums I read every day says this game seems to be losing lots of players and I wanna know why or what people think.. if you're on wolfbane or faeblight or the heavy pop pvp server ya we know your servers are bustling

This isn't a bad game tbh.. The graphics are very nice, the soul system is unique, the leveling progression is smooth and not overly grindy... all in all this is a better game than wow imo.. eq2 had a better combat system though.. again, in my opinion..

Are people just burnt out on wow type games? A couple people I work with quit wow, came to rift for a month then quit this and play other games now.. neither wow or rift .. I'm starting to suspect any game that copies the mmo genre wow molded into its final incarnation, will ultimately fail due to people being severely burntout on the same game mechanics.

If theres nothing innovative to keep us playing whats the point of playing; just to do what we did in wow or eq2 or <<insert mmo here>>.

The entire mmo rpg genre needs a massive overhaul, innovation and creative minds to bring it out of this wow-era rut we now find ourselves in.. I think investors will see swtor fail hard after about 2 months and that will be the final nail in coffin of the wow-era of mmo's. After that happens, any developers who try to copy wow will fail, you might as well go throw your money into a fire pit..

We as gamers and developers of games should move on to help mold a new generation; build some new innovative games.

I think the new hybrid of mmo-rpg gaming will be theme park mixed heavily with sandbox types games.. Its apparent those 2 types of rpg mmo's have seen better times and if not for wow I think we would have seen more sandbox mmo's pop up, but we didn't due to investors chasing the wow cash cow model that is at its end now.

A breakdown of this new hybrid theme-box type of mmo rpg game would offer a lot more freedom to the player. Example: If you took star wars galaxies crafting system and dumped it into rift you have an instant success among gamers who like to be more involved in crafting. You dont just go mine ore nodes for one type of ore, you actually survey and looks for hotspots of the most pristine raw metals you can find. Lower grade stuff becomes fodder used to grind up with. Crafting within the game itself becomes a mini game.. Only the strongest survive.. the best materials make better stated gear.. rare tokens are looted to make special items or augment them differently.. There is so much you can do, yet its never done..

I'm not much of a pvper but warfronts and instances of warfronts are a horrible idea. The pvp should be faction based and take place in the open world... Anyone remember star wars open world pvp system?
    Ic an recount the first time I logged into star wars galaxies, I was standing outside the starport in tattoine and 3 imperial troopers were running by chasing a couple rebel pvpers.. I was essentially hooked from that point on.. you started out neutral and aligned with one faction or another and you could change sides at any time.. What do we have in wow and rift clones? You're locked in to a faction.. Thats exactly my point, these old paradigms of control are fading fast and more freedoms are coming. swg was on to something hugely fun but it was missing the theme park questing and raids..

The wow killer will be a hybrid of swg and wow/rift/eq2... We just need someone with the balls to do it.. and the people who can envision this..
    Last edited by vaalix; 06-16-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Answer: People are in fact still logging in. Populations are increasing. People say the game is dead, but really, all you need to know to make sense of this is that someone was complaining that Briarcliff had "no one on it". You know, the server with the 90-minute queues on weekends.

It's just people whining, or trying to spread FUD because they're mad that some balance change made them actually lose a fight to a better-geared and more skilled player. :P
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

now that the mad rush for most people to hit max level is over, people are settling in to regular play times, etc... so it probably feels like there are less people logging in.

on the other hand I know a good number of people that have quit in the last month, and I know a few more that may follow them soon.

Plane Walker

People see what they see. Their random friend on the net stops logging in = he quit. The truth is they re-rolled off that server and still play

Shield of Telara

I feel like people on my server only log on to raid, kinda boring though when you do greenscale and most of RoS in one night. If I have free time I try to hop on and do some warfront's but that gets boring quickly and queuing for dungeons is a waste of time since nobody ever runs them anymore...

The problem is we as gamers keep buying the cloned junk we have been buying and sick of for 5 or so years already.

It's our fault, they keep reheating the same old ideas, we pay them to do it.

Until we finally refuse to buy yet another "me too" game, companies will keep milking it.

Quote Originally Posted by vaalix View Post
    I think the new hybrid of mmo-rpg gaming will be theme park mixed heavily with sandbox types games.. Its apparent those 2 types of rpg mmo's have seen better times and if not for wow I think we would have seen more sandbox mmo's pop up, but we didn't due to investors chasing the wow cash cow model that is at its end now
    Sorry to cut/paste your post so heavily but this paragraph jumped out at me.

I agree with most of what you say, the WoW format has been done to death and RIFT would appear to be the best incarnation of the model. I'm still loving RIFT, still logging in whenever I get a spare half hour and there's no sign of the appeal wearing off yet.

However, going back to the paragraph I quoted for a moment. You mention "sandbox" games, something that made me sit bolt-upright the instant I seen it.

I would give my left leg, my house and car keys to the developer who comes up with a decent, well implemented and balanced update to Ultima Online. The "sandbox" factor of UO was a major selling point for me and its something that I think has been missing from games for a long, long time. The flexible, open-ended and non-linear world of UO was an absolute joy to delve into. No two sessions were ever the same...

Ah, those were the days!

Quote Originally Posted by vaalix View Post
    I think the new hybrid of mmo-rpg gaming will be theme park mixed heavily with sandbox types games.. Its apparent those 2 types of rpg mmo's have seen better times and if not for wow I think we would have seen more sandbox mmo's pop up, but we didn't due to investors chasing the wow cash cow model that is at its end now.
    I would love to see a hybrid game like that. Seriously. The more variation, the more people would be satisfied with their gameplay.

I can't comment on people logging in or not.
    Rift Apothecary. "Better Living Brought to You by Aperture Science"

Ascendant

People keep referring to the mmo community as a static, finite group. It's not. Burned out on the WoW mechanic? No, there are people leaving and there are people coming in that have never experienced it.

Rift is not dying, it's settling in.

The fact that the question is even asked is disturbing. Are games that important to you that the life and death of them affects you so deeply?

Quote Originally Posted by Ethias View Post
    now that the mad rush for most people to hit max level is over, people are settling in to regular play times, etc... so it probably feels like there are less people logging in.

on the other hand I know a good number of people that have quit in the last month, and I know a few more that may follow them soon.
    This is part of the reason.

I've also noticed a lot of players getting MMO burnout. I think where these modern MMOs might be failing is the Heroic/Expert grind that people have to go through in order to be able to raid. Sure the PuG raids of Zone invasions are fun, but really loose their luster once players have farmed all the sourceshards, planarite and notoriety that they need.

One thing that made Vanilla and BC WoW so engaging is that you did not need to farm heroic dungeons in order to get into entry level raiding. (UBRS and Kara for example) People were doing into these places with blue dungeon and crafted gear. Heroics in BC were optional and not necessarily a requirement in the gear up process.

Pre 1.2 Trion had a pretty good balance of Expert difficulty and plaque drops from the daily quests. Now that there is more of a grind in order to experience the raids, players are losing interest and many raiding guilds are experiencing the effects from this.

Something is definitely wrong when the top two raiding guilds on our server are having to resort to advertising in general chat in order to fill vacant raid positions.

Prophet of Telara

wolfsbane still has queues from time to time

my guess is that ppl re-rolled to that server

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by DieScream View Post
    The problem is we as gamers keep buying the cloned junk we have been buying and sick of for 5 or so years already.

It's our fault, they keep reheating the same old ideas, we pay them to do it.

Until we finally refuse to buy yet another "me too" game, companies will keep milking it.
    This is exactly what is happening. My guild just basically imploded. 30 or 40 active players down to only a few each day. Same old gear grind, same old gee, raids are the end game, etc. I guess I just don't want to do it anymore and its time to move on. Only thing is that this time it seems like a lot of folks are feeling the same way. They have all done this dance before in other games and thought Rift would be different. There's a lot of untapped potential so I'll personally try to stay up with the Rift news and see where it goes down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Trythane View Post
    This is exactly what is happening. My guild just basically imploded. 30 or 40 active players down to only a few each day. Same old gear grind, same old gee, raids are the end game, etc. I guess I just don't want to do it anymore and its time to move on. Only thing is that this time it seems like a lot of folks are feeling the same way. They have all done this dance before in other games and thought Rift would be different. There's a lot of untapped potential so I'll personally try to stay up with the Rift news and see where it goes down the road.
    just stopped logging in just to raid, this is the same crap as other games my next home is EQnext unless its like this gear grind > raid its getting boring, unless its really hard to get the gear
    Last edited by Austin23; 06-16-2011 at 05:39 PM.
    Harrow - RPpvp

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigyin View Post
    I would give my left leg, my house and car keys to the developer who comes up with a decent, well implemented and balanced update to Ultima Online.
    Jake Song from Archeage would like to know where you live and what kind of car you drive...keep the leg however.

Quote Originally Posted by Nestran View Post
    People keep referring to the mmo community as a static, finite group. It's not. Burned out on the WoW mechanic? No, there are people leaving and there are people coming in that have never experienced it.

Rift is not dying, it's settling in.

The fact that the question is even asked is disturbing. Are games that important to you that the life and death of them affects you so deeply?

Good post. If in someone's opinion a game is dying then find another game, if, however, the game is alive and well then play it and enjoy. I just really don't understand the purpose of these posts, but this isn't the only MMO forum that gets them, so chances are high that there's something in the MMO community that encourages it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast