+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Graphic Card Question (for the tech gurus who like these things)

Soulwalker

Default Graphic Card Question (for the tech gurus who like these things)

Hey guys, I'm currently looking into buying a new graphic card, and I'm just curious. Will a PCIe x16 2.0 fit into a regular PCIe x16 slot? The only reason is I noticed the abundance in the 2.0s, but I just wanted to make sure. I honestly didn't know where else to turn to ask the question, so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks for any help you can give me. Have a great day!

As long as it is a PCI-E 16x you're fine. 2.0 cards will fit and work with 1.0.

Soulwalker

will work fine as said above. Just to go a bit more in depth - 2.0 offers double the bandwidth of 1.0 and at a certain point the 1.0 slot will bottleneck the performance of a 2.0 card. Now if your going to see a decline in performance is probably not likely because i'm guessing your cpu will bottleneck it long before the bandwidth of your pci slots do. Even with that being said you'll only see a few % difference if your being held back by your pci bandwidth, but i thought i'd go a tad more in depth for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Jybwee View Post
    will work fine as said above. Just to go a bit more in depth - 2.0 offers double the bandwidth of 1.0 and at a certain point the 1.0 slot will bottleneck the performance of a 2.0 card. Now if your going to see a decline in performance is probably not likely because i'm guessing your cpu will bottleneck it long before the bandwidth of your pci slots do. Even with that being said you'll only see a few % difference if your being held back by your pci bandwidth, but i thought i'd go a tad more in depth for ya.
    good enough.

Basically, if you have a 1.0 slot...you're wasting money getting a 2.0 card unless you plan on upgrading your mbd in the near future as well.
    In the dusts of hell Lurked the blackest of hates, For he who eats fear awaits you
    RIFT Mantra: Exploit Now and Exploit Often, You wont be punished!!

+ Reply to Thread