+ Reply to Thread

Thread: About video games, the gaming industry and the bleak future

Default About video games, the gaming industry and the bleak future

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-mo...n-video-games/

I'd like to share with you this article that, sad as it may be, mentions terrible truths about the state of the gaming industry, as it is today.

Read it and draw your own conclusions.
    As it stands now, our characters are more replaceable than our gear...
    My character is not a coat hanger!

A lot of people on these forums, and really all MMO forums, should really read this one:
    http://www.cracked.com/article_18461...dicted_p2.html

Reminds me a lot about the people the cry non stop about nerfs, changes to gear, and so on and so forth.

And:
    http://www.nickyee.com/eqt/skinner.html
    http://www.nickyee.com/hub/addiction/attraction.html
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...ign.php?page=1
    Last edited by Credo; 06-14-2011 at 10:41 AM.
    Even free cost too much now

Champion of Telara Silverangel69's Avatar

*Eats a steak* Ignorance is bliss.

Yet this somehow doesn't deter me from wanting to play any of the new releases slated for this year and the coming years. I think the Wii U looks stupid but that is just personal preference there.

There will always be limitations in consoles and computer hardware. One hurdle that a lot of game developers face early on is making a game that is accessible to millions of customers even though the hardware market has huge generational gaps. This is prevalent especially in PC games when you compare computers that can play World of Warcraft to computers that can play Final Fantasy 14. Both are very well optimized games for the PC but there is a huge generational gap between the computer that can play WoW to the computer that can play FF14 smoothly.

Its all food for thought but I wouldn't go screaming the sky is falling because gaming is part of pop culture now.

Rift Disciple

I couldn't agree any more with that writer without physically transforming into them.

All MMOs will feel the wrath of my AVATAR!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Razo View Post
    Yet this somehow doesn't deter me from wanting to play any of the new releases slated for this year and the coming years. I think the Wii U looks stupid but that is just personal preference there.

There will always be limitations in consoles and computer hardware. One hurdle that a lot of game developers face early on is making a game that is accessible to millions of customers even though the hardware market has huge generational gaps. This is prevalent especially in PC games when you compare computers that can play World of Warcraft to computers that can play Final Fantasy 14. Both are very well optimized games for the PC but there is a huge generational gap between the computer that can play WoW to the computer that can play FF14 smoothly.

Its all food for thought but I wouldn't go screaming the sky is falling because gaming is part of pop culture now.
    On the other hand, i have no interest at all in "modern FPS" or other things like that. Frankly, i think the last non-MMO game i really enjoyed was Minecraft.
    Still, we can't deny that there is a distinct lack of originality when it comes to non-indie games. Be it in story, setting or purely gameplay mechanics. Even if the game developers might want to make something new, they won't be able to, as investors will only go for "low-risk franchises", meaning sequel after sequel of the same things. And the worst part is: people keep encouraging them by buying that crap.
    As it stands now, our characters are more replaceable than our gear...
    My character is not a coat hanger!

Ascendant

You forgot more wow-clones.

Shadowlander

All of those things are the fault of the people who keep buying this stuff. If the sheep stopped buying all these sequels whenever they are released, game developers would be forced into trying new things. They have millions of dollars that are available for game development, and they decide to put all their money in a safe bet because they know it will work.

It's the same thing with 'infinite payment', if people are willing to pay, then companies will charge them for it. WoW is a perfect example of 'testing' how flexible the market is by adding these mounts and pets that people buy with cold hard cash, rather than the ingame currency. The worst part of it, is there are gamers that are defending this move, and think that with them buying it will have no effect in the future. WoW is the test grounds to see if 'Titan' will be able to charge a monthly subscription fee, as well as offer micro transactions without negative action from the community.

I used to be one of those people who would buy everything that came out the day it was released. Then I realized that my actions was only supporting rehashed content games.

One company that you can count on for video game progress? ID software. Quake 1,2,3 were pretty much completely different games, and then Rage on the horizon. You also don't see a new title from ID every year.

If you really want to have an impact on the future of gaming, speak with the one thing that everybody listens to. Your wallet, this will be the only way to stop this trend of pathetic development.

+ Reply to Thread