+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43

Thread: Don't feed the MMORPG trolls

  1. #1
    Rift Master blackweb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    638

    Default Don't feed the MMORPG trolls

    Like many of you, I have tried many MMORPG's in the past few years. I have watched one game after another fail. Why have so many failed? To put it bluntly, the problem with new MMORPGs is not always the game, but the players. That's right, I said it, the players themselves can play a significant role in the success or failure of a new MMORPG. I have watched a significant portion of the player base of recent MMORPGs actively set out to destory the game both in game and in forums like this one. Admittedly there were some games that did not deserve to survive (Hellgate London). There were others that given a chance to be fixed by the devs, had a real shot at success.

    Most of you play RIFT or you would not be reading this. RIFT is the exception to the over-promising, under-delivering, early, incomplete release MMORPG pattern set by MMORPGs like AoC, WAR and Aion. RIFT is fairly complete and polished. RIFT has something for everyone, a great storyline, quests, zones, crafting, instanced and world PvP, achievements, artifacts, dungeons, rifts, raiding and world events. This begs the question, why so much QQ over RIFT by some of the players? They whine about being bored, content is too easy, content is too hard, item drop rates, class balance, pve and pvp grinding, you name it, they will QQ about it. Is RIFT, especially RIFT end game really that bad? In my experience and that of the majority of the player base, no it isn't that bad, in fact its pretty darn good. Will the whiners and haters every be satisfied? Should game developers even try to satisfy them.

    Yes, there has been a pattern of bad MMORPGs but there has also been a pattern of bad MMORPG gamers. Lets call them MMORPG trolls who hop from game to game, following the same cycle of negative behavior in every game. The MMO troll pattern goes something like this:

    1. Mindless fanboi-ism - the trolls build the game up to unrealistic expectations that no game and no team of developers can possibly match.

    2. Power gamer angst - they make it to max level in a matter of days then loudly proclaim that they are bored game sucks and they are quitting.

    3. There is no place like WoW - if only this or that WoW feature were added to the game, it would be perfect.

    4. Chicken Little, "The sky is falling!" - the trolls come to the forums and open chat channels in game and announce that one part of the game after another is "broken" and threaten to quit if it isn't immediately fixed.

    5. Going hostile - gangs of forum trolls endlessly troll positive or legitimate posters in forums and spam chat channels in game with everything negative about the game they can think of. Their ire is first directed at the game developers, then other players.

    6. Prophets of Doom - the trolls now reveal their true intention is not to make the game better but to cause it to fail by alarming the player base with prophecies of doom and gloom; empty servers, mass cancellations, dying guilds and rampant discontent are the predictions of these false prophets.

    7. The solution to the problem they created - now the trolls announce that they have the solutions that will save the game; server transfers, server mergers, free to play, arenas, new content, fire the developers, hire more GMs, stop the gold spammers and on and on.

    8. The trolls win - the servers are empty, the game is dead or dying. All your the effort you put into the game, your characters and your guild was for nothing. The trolls laugh and move on to the next MMORPG...

    The question is now, did the MMORPG trolls succeed in their effort to destroy your favorite game? That is up to you the players, the forum moderators and the game developers. First you must recognize the very real pattern I have described. Then you must make a commitment to the quiet majority of your player base that is enjoying your game. Realize that the MMORPG trolls are a very small minority of your player base, maybe 5-10%. Recognize that they have repeated the pattern above over and over again and that they will move on to the next MMORPG when they are through with yours. The most important thing to remember is don't feed the trolls. Do not listen to the trolls if you are a player and do not pander to them if you are a developer. They will never, ever be satisfied, their hunger for wreaking MMORPG havoc is insatiable. Please dont feed the MMORPG trolls.

  2. #2
    Telaran Flook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Belgium, Lommel
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Thumbs up for this! Amen
    Still got 73 VIP Beta Keys left! Visithttp://mmorpgsmag.blogspot.com/ to get your hands on one!

  3. #3
    Ascendant Sinndel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    I disagree with everything you said, but thank you for sharing your oppinions.

    Seriously though there's more of these threads than there are threads by actual trolls trying to kill the game. Unless you percieve every single grievance and negative feedback as a troll attempting to kill the game.

  4. #4
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    11

    Thumbs up This right here.

    Anyway OP, you are totally right.
    Last edited by Walsingham; 06-13-2011 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Rude

  5. #5
    Rift Master blackweb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    I disagree with everything you said, but thank you for sharing your oppinions.

    Seriously though there's more of these threads than there are threads by actual trolls trying to kill the game. Unless you percieve every single grievance and negative feedback as a troll attempting to kill the game.
    Stop putting words in my mouth unless you can quote me directly as having said
    every single grievance and negative feedback as a troll attempting to kill the game
    or words to that effect. I stand by my OP. I have seen the same pattern repeating itself over and over again and now the trolls are here, trying to kill my favorite game, again. Lets not let them succeed this time. It is time to put an end to the cycle.

  6. #6
    Ascendant Sinndel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackweb View Post
    Stop putting words in my mouth unless you can quote me directly as having said.
    How did I put words in your mouth? Do you know what "unless" means? I heard context is important.

  7. #7
    Rift Master blackweb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    638

    Default

    I admit that I love playing rift with my friends and that I want this game to succeed. I am a happy, loyal Trion customer. In fact, I help pay for this forum. I do not come to this forum to read endless QQ about my favorite game. Constructive criticism and helpful suggestions, yes, doom and gloom, the sky is falling, open harassment no, I should not have to put up with that in this forum.

  8. #8
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackweb View Post
    Stop putting words in my mouth unless you can quote me directly as having said


    or words to that effect. I stand by my OP. I have seen the same pattern repeating itself over and over again and now the trolls are here, trying to kill my favorite game, again. Lets not let them succeed this time. It is time to put an end to the cycle.
    So, in your world, no one could complain about anything? As long as you like it, it is good and everyone else that has an opinion should shut up? Wow.

    And honestly, if you like this game so much, you should go try out WoW. It has much better populations on the servers and the world is much bigger with more things to do. I am not being a troll here. Really stating a fact. This game is not much different from WoW and at least wow has different starting areas for most races so you can get different quest lines. You are not doing the exact same quest over and over for every new toon you create.
    Last edited by Eorith; 06-15-2011 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Removed inappropriate comment

  9. #9
    Rift Master blackweb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crimsondrac View Post
    So, in your world, no one could complain about anything? As long as you like it, it is good and everyone else that has an opinion should shut up? Wow.

    And honestly, if you like this game so much, you should go try out WoW. It has much better populations on the servers and the world is much bigger with more things to do. I am not being a troll here. Really stating a fact. This game is not much different from WoW and at least wow has different starting areas for most races so you can get different quest lines. You are not doing the exact same quest over and over for every new toon you create.
    Such tortured logic. Obvious trolling, button-pushing, name-calling etc. Taking my fact and experienced based post and turning it on its head, attempting to make me out to be the problem here. So obvious, so pedantic. Comparing me to the greatest mass murderer in history based on a forum post about an MMORPG? Bold but transparent and unimaginative. The essence of the ad-hominem attack that attempts to ignore the message and impugn the messenger. Trying to change the subject by making the thread about wow, not the cycle I carefully described above.

    If you openly challenge the MMORPG trolls and shed light on their methods and intentions you can expect responses like this one. I have no authority to tell posters like this one to "shut-up", I would be very happy if I never had to read a post like this one again.
    Last edited by Eorith; 06-15-2011 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Inappropriate comment in quote

  10. #10
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    469

    Default

    The OP is 100% correct

    Problem is most people who come an actively post of these forums are those types of people.

    This forum I personally have never seen so much negativity and usually over trivial items.

    I also believe that the troll is what I actually call a 2nd gen MMO player. Now certainly not all 2nd gens are trolls but they are people who basically started playing in the eq2/wow time frame and they actually dominate the MMO scene by a large amount at this time.

    I too have seen epic failures in MMO as anyone who plays alot of titles has seen. I also like Rift it has alot of content. It is not without its issues but it is so young still and I am going to see this game out because I think it is a high quality game and a promising future. I could be wrong ofc but we shall see.

    All of the nonsense I read I do not even respond to because of the toal lack of credibility. I am on a high pop server and I had a queue last night of 117 people, so I do not see any population issues on my server anyway.

    I do read about guild having poor numbers showing and we certainly are in the same boat but anyone who has played a good number of these games know summer bring attrition and winter shows highest numbers.

    But a very good post in the sea of nonsense.

  11. #11
    Ascendant Sinndel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackweb View Post
    Taking my fact and experienced based post.
    Everything in your post was an oppinion.

  12. #12
    Ascendant Jaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackweb View Post
    Stop putting words in my mouth unless you can quote me directly as having said
    You should re-read the post you quoted.

    It's saying that there are more threads like this than there are actual trolls trying to destroy the game; it does no make any claim about what you said.
    Jaya
    Tertian of the <Children of Mechanus>
    Kaleida (Defiant)

  13. #13
    Ascendant Jaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackweb View Post
    Such tortured logic. Obvious trolling, button-pushing, name-calling etc. Taking my fact and experienced based post and turning it on its head, attempting to make me out to be the problem here.
    There aren't any facts in your post. At all. None. They're just opinions.
    Last edited by Jaya; 06-13-2011 at 09:05 AM.
    Jaya
    Tertian of the <Children of Mechanus>
    Kaleida (Defiant)

  14. #14
    Plane Touched Ndangerdfevr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    232

    Default

    meh even if the op's post has little to do with fact it should remind us all to bring the standard of conversation up a notch.

  15. #15
    Rift Disciple AlexiousITA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crimsondrac View Post
    So, in your world, no one could complain about anything? As long as you like it, it is good and everyone else that has an opinion should shut up? Wow.

    And honestly, if you like this game so much, you should go try out WoW. It has much better populations on the servers and the world is much bigger with more things to do. I am not being a troll here. Really stating a fact. This game is not much different from WoW and at least wow has different starting areas for most races so you can get different quest lines. You are not doing the exact same quest over and over for every new toon you create.
    So all that matters is having different starting zones? Really? Come on.

    Besides, obviously WoW has much more content than Rift, it has been running since 7 years, whilst Trion's game is only live since 3 months. However, at the content production rate maintained by Blizzard and Trion, I expect RIFT to have more content in about less than a year; Blizzard constantly leaves players to rot in the same old zones and dungeons for months/years, and whenever they can they recycle old stuff with a new skin.
    Last edited by Eorith; 06-15-2011 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Inappropriate comment in quote

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts