+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How Off Topic is Off Topic?

Soulwalker

Default How Off Topic is Off Topic?

On another game based Off Topic board there was never even a mention of the actual game it comes from, in fact rather than discuss it when something slipped in people would redirect them to the general board rather than continue discussion about it there.

However in the past few days I've been here I keep reading about rift this and rift that, and I'm not condemning it or anything, I was just curious just how off topic we could get?

Quote Originally Posted by Valnen View Post
    How Off Topic is Off Topic??
    Wednesday morning

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

On another game based Off Topic board there was never even a mention of the actual game it comes from, in fact rather than discuss it when something slipped in people would redirect them to the general board rather than continue discussion about it there.

However in the past few days I've been here I keep reading about rift this and rift that, and I'm not condemning it or anything, I was just curious just how off topic we could get?
    The mods will move threads from general into off topic if they feel it's not constructive but don't want to lock it. Usuaully when someone compares Rift to WoW, has some feedback about Rift that isn't constructive (and therefor can't be counted as a suggestion) or just wants to vent some frustration about the game in general.

Soulwalker

Okay, that explains it, at least the mods do something with the threads

So can we talk about off topic things? What sort of "Off Topic" things, like if a funny event happened could I make a post about it? Or would that be too off topic? TV and Music?

So can we talk about off topic things? What sort of "Off Topic" things, like if a funny event happened could I make a post about it? Or would that be too off topic? TV and Music?
    The only thing they seem to close in Off Topic is threads about games that are coming out in the future like GW2 and SWTOR if the author of the thread seems to be implying that they will quit Rift when they come out. Pretty much everything else, including but not limited to, threads about your favorite kitchen utensil, are permited.
    Last edited by Sinndel; 06-12-2011 at 01:45 PM.

Off topic is off topic. As long as it isn't breaking forum rules like racism, rude etc it is ok in Off topic. I'm sure you will find that.

I don't log in anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    The only thing they seem to close in Off Topic is threads about games that are coming out in the future like GW2 and SWTOR if the author of the thread seems to be implying that they will quit Rift when they come out. Pretty much everything else, including but not limited to, threads about your favorite kitchen utensil, are permited.
    Really? That is normally allowed in other games Off Topics but I can see why. Hmmm

And FWIW, fish slice.
    Last edited by Anuhart; 06-12-2011 at 01:48 PM.

I don't log in anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Anuhart View Post
    Really? That is normally allowed in other games Off Topics but I can see why. Hmmm

And FWIW, fish slice.
    Usually they allow talk about other games, as long as the OP isn't being all "man I can't wait till GW2 comes out so I can leave this fail game". Or such forth in that manner. Depending on the mod, they might not allow talk about their competition at all.

Usually they allow talk about other games, as long as the OP isn't being all "man I can't wait till GW2 comes out so I can leave this fail game". Or such forth in that manner. Depending on the mod, they might not allow talk about their competition at all.

Yeah I did note the "quit" reference after I posted. Makes more sense.

I don't log in anymore.

Religious nor political threads are allowed. Both of which I use to love reading in WoW's old off topic forum.

There actually seems like there is more in which you can't talk about then can.

I miss the "Wild West" like atmosphere which WoW's off topic forums had. You could talk about basically anything but ran the risk of being reported if you took something too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobjohnson View Post
    Religious nor political threads are allowed. Both of which I use to love reading in WoW's old off topic forum.

I miss the "Wild West" like atmosphere which WoW's off topic forums had. You could talk about basically anything but ran the risk of being reported if you took something too far.
    Oh yeah, I forgot they were closing "apocalypse didn't happen" threads for awhile there too.

Soulwalker

Yeah that's actually where I'm coming from =X

Oh well I'm sure either way I'll still enjoy it here

Also, I noticed that my post count doesn't seem to be rising o_O
    Last edited by Valnen; 06-12-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Also, I noticed that my post count doesn't seem to be rising o_O
    Posts in the Off Topic portion of the forums don't increase your post count.

I'd say a good rule of thumb is if it's the sort of convo appropriate for a fairly civilised cocktail party (not a student scull-scull-scull and finger assisted roll into the gutter affair, right) it will fit into Off Topic.

That means no sex, religion and politics.
    My shiny carapace is cracked. I should have never left the sea. Krugon.

In WoW's off-topic forums, I seemed to have a knack for going right to doomed threads that ended up being deleted shortly after becoming lively... *sigh*

+ Reply to Thread