+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need a New PC for RIFT

Question Need a New PC for RIFT

I'm currently playing on a lap top that is 4 years old... i usually run the game at 4-7 fps on the lowest possible settings, heh. I'm coming here because i know that there are a lot of people with extensive and reliable knowledge on computer anatomy and current benchmarks and limitations.

I've currently looking at a new desktop build and was looking for some tweaks or suggestions:

Processor
    AMD Phenom™ II X4 975 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU

Memory
    8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1600

Video Card
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 - 2GB - Single Card

Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-770T-USB3 -- AMD 770

Now, I don't really know too much about what that all means, but i'm looking to play RIFT in a raid environment with medium/high graphics settings with at least 24 FPS whilst staying within a $1000 range. If this will do the trick, then let me know haha. If theres something better or if you need more information then let me know that as well.

This community is great, thank you guys for the help.
    Last edited by PatchesNyx; 06-12-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Soulwalker

So you're looking at getting a computer that will cost 1,000$ Are you going to pirate the operating system or buy it legitimately, which operating system?

Quote Originally Posted by Valnen View Post
    So you're looking at getting a computer that will cost 1,000$ Are you going to pirate the operating system or buy it legitimately, which operating system?
    $1000 +/- $250. I'll be buying the operating system... i was just thinking of windows 7 home premium 64 bit... if there is an OS that will run RIFT better then I would opt for that one.

You definitely want to get a different processor, Phenom isn't good for gaming. Athlon are their gaming processors.
    Last edited by Sinndel; 06-12-2011 at 04:19 PM.

Soulwalker

Well also, if you're building a computer you're gonna need a power supply, and a computer case. There also seems to be a lack of a hard drive, and things like a CD/DVD drive. Are you gonna be taking them from your old PC or are you gonna try and find something for those? Also where are you getting all these from? Newegg? Tigerdirect? Bestbuy? Fry's?
    Last edited by Valnen; 06-12-2011 at 05:28 PM.

Rich Aemry

Don't waste your money on a phenom II. It's 3 generations behind and they chug in Rift. An i5 2500 costs the same and will smoke it.

Pick up an i5 2500 and a pair of GTX 460s, and you have one heck of a system for $750.

If you're a team red on red guy, wait until September since AMD delayed 'dozer yet again. I'm beginning to wonder if bulldozer really is the second coming of Christ and will get delayed until 2012 and then somehow end the world.
    Last edited by Rich Aemry; 06-12-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aemry View Post
    Don't waste your money on a phenom II. It's 3 generations behind and they chug in Rift. An i5 2500 costs the same and will smoke it.

Pick up an i5 2500 and a pair of GTX 460s, and you have one heck of a system for $750.
    What he said ^ I have an i5 and RIFT runs like cake.

AMD Phenom II X4 975 BE $179.99
    Intel Core i5-2400 $189.99
    Gigabyte GA-770T-USB3 -- AMD 770 $89.99
    GIGABYTE GA-P67A-D3-B3 LGA 1155 $109.99

Just to show you a product comparison between Intel and AMD. Here is a CPU benchmark to give you a bit more of a product comparison for chip performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokket View Post
    What he said ^ I have an i5 and RIFT runs like cake.
    I've honestly never seen cake run.

Rich Aemry

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    I've honestly never seen cake run.
    It's because you tried to eat it with a spoon. The cake is a lie, and their is no spoon.

Rich Aemry

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    You definitely want to get a different processor, Phenom isn't good for gaming. Athlon are their gaming processors.
    Phenom IIs are actually AMD's gaming units. Athlon IIs are their budget units. Original Athlons, Athlon 64, and Athlon 64x2s were for gaming, and AMD killed the lineup. Athlon IIs are binned phenom IIs who's L3 chace couldn't pass testing. After disabling the L3 cache AMD sells those slightly slower binned CPUs for a 30% discount.

Athlon IIs are fine for cheapie PCs, and honestly most games don't really need the L3 cache. Still a sandy bridge i3 costs only 10% more and is so much faster that no one should buy an AM3 CPU anymore. AM3+ will launch sometime before the end of the world and assuming the dolphins haven't left yet bulldozer will be a great product.

Rich Aemry

It's because you tried to eat it with a spoon. The cake is a lie, and their is no spoon.
    Gross homonym fail. I surrender one internet.

Gross homonym fail. I surrender one internet.
    I don't understand what you mean, where's the homonym? I may have missed it because I'm busy installing RIFT on my cake.

their instead of there

Rich Aemry

Quote Originally Posted by Razo View Post
    their instead of there
    You may have my internet. Please take care of it, and feed him often. He does however need a periodic break so go to work, and leave ESPN on so he has some entertainment. He also likes to come with me to Rangers games and often rants on his virtual book of faces about the poor umpiring. He may be a little tired of ranting and cheering right now though since he was so active when the Mavericks won the championship.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast