+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The true meaning of "Antisocial"

I've always considered "asocial" to be the correct term to describe someone that doesn't enjoy socializing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    You're an idiot.

Anti-social =/= antisocial. Go back to primary school language baddie.
    Case in point.

Haha, I was actually just talking about this today. Far too many people misuse the term.

Quote Originally Posted by Selenity View Post
    Case in point.
    Yes that's right. Rebuking someone's pedantry with my sarcasm is even worse than making sweeping generalisations about entire demographics, splitting hairs over word technicalities, and saying people have a very serious and dangerous mental illness based on their forum posts. I'm a monster.

Lol @ all of the pseudo intellectual types in this thread trying really hard to sound smart. Most of you are just making yourself look like misinformed morons that happened to stumble upon your parents dictionary and not understand the depth and impact of context within a sentence to define its usage.

The OP is probably the most guilty in the thread, but so many are making yourself look really stupid.

Context - It isn't just something your English teacher would use as an excuse to mark your paper with red ink, it is an important part of the English language, and is used to define meaning within the given usage and structure of the overall sentences or assertion.

I think the OP found his parents dictionary without actually understanding that most words and terms have multiple conventional meanings, and those meanings are determined by context. Really, he is just an uneducated fool trying to look smart by copy/pasting something he found on the Internet.

I truly hope the OP is trolling. If he/she is not, then I feel truly bad for him/her.
    Last edited by Gawdzilla; 06-11-2011 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post
    I think the OP found his parents dictionary without actually understanding that most words and terms have multiple conventional meanings, and those meanings are determined by context. Really, he is just an uneducated fool trying to look smart by copy/pasting something he found on the Internet.
    His parents' dictionary, or their copy of DSM-III or DSM-IV?

Quote Originally Posted by Rolien View Post
    I have been reading the fourms and seeing many people saying things like grouping in this game is hard because people are antisocial.

This is not true.

Infact Antisocial people are more likely to group and they are the people who are going to screw you over on loot and such.
    Why?
    Because here is the true meaning of antisocial.

Antisocial personality disorder

A condition characterized by repetitive behavioral patterns that are contrary to usual moral and ethical standards and cause a person to experience continuous conflict with society. Symptoms include aggression, callousness, impulsiveness, irresponsibility, hostility, a low frustration level, marked emotional immaturity, and poor judgment. A person who has this disorder overlooks the rights of others, is incapable of loyalty to others or to social values, is unable to experience guilt or to learn from past behaviors, is impervious to punishment, and tends to rationalize his or her behavior or to blame it on others.

Thus Antisocial does not mean you do not communicate with others.

Avoidant personality disorder is when people avoid contact with others in any way shape or form.

People with avoidant personality disorder can't stop thinking about their own shortcomings. They form relationships with other people only if they believe they will not be rejected. Loss and rejection are so painful that these people will choose to be lonely rather than risk trying to connect with others.

So please stop with the whole people are antisocial so they dont group.

Thanks
    Your exerpt from wikipedia fails to mention that anti-social persons often react this way because they are so detached from societal norms that they often feel uncomfortable when placed in such situations against their will. They don't actively seek out other people so they can demonstrate their confrontational aptitude. They are so devoid of social interactions that if a situation arises where they are forced to interact at that level, they become hostile, frustrated, impulsive or agressive. Just like a person who can't swim when they are pushed into a pool.
    Last edited by Sinndel; 06-12-2011 at 05:31 AM.

Soulwalker

Let's assume for a moment that the Rift community was making a diagnosis of a disorder. Let's assume they were using the term incorrectly (which they weren't). In the English language, common usage defines proper usage. A COMMUNITY can never incorrectly use a word, due to the nature and purpose of language.

Pretty cool, huh OP?

Quote Originally Posted by Azalia Rift View Post
    Let's assume for a moment that the Rift community was making a diagnosis of a disorder. Let's assume they were using the term incorrectly (which they weren't). In the English language, common usage defines proper usage. A COMMUNITY can never incorrectly use a word, due to the nature and purpose of language.

Pretty cool, huh OP?
    I have to disagree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerin View Post
    LOL, another modern politically-correct disorder .. it's ANTISOCIAL, it's a chosen attitude, stop making out it's some sort of mental condition.
    That's a fascinating theory. In what peer-reviewed journal have you published, and what was your methodology?

Oh, sorry, didn't mean to blame you personally, obviously you just have making stupid stuff up on the internet disorder.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

I feel soooo "edjumakated" now.

Rift Disciple

Antisocial doesn't work like some other words you might be familiar with. It can sometimes be used to refer to attitudes and conduct that is socially damaging or hostile, but it doesn't have to be used like that and most definitely can be used simply to refer to people who prefer to avoid the company of others with no ill will or malevolence at all: you can actually define the word "asocial" simply by "antisocial", making "antisocial" a very different animal to word families like "moral / amoral / immoral" where there's a clear distinction made between the "not getting involved" version and the "actively going against version". In the case of antisocial, the one word can simply stand for either one. If it's not clear which you mean from the context then you could consider using asocial instead for the meaning they hold in common, but antisocial is equally correct.
    Last edited by Erex; 06-13-2011 at 02:59 PM.

Really? I've always though it means someone who seeks out loneliness.

You need to look for shortcomings in yourself before you look for them in others. Otherwise, you're just a fat bluff and your word means nothing.

Telaran

I always laugh when people in a mmorpg use "antisocial" as some sort of insult. It's a label even the government uses to keep sheep in line. Don't follow the crowd? You're antisocial.

Anyway think about it next time. You are trying to make friends in a video game while calling people antisocial. If you can't understand how much of a joke that is, you need to go outside and get laid, rather than rp bang all you friends in game you big socialite, you.
    Last edited by Caapi; 06-13-2011 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caapi View Post
    I always laugh when people in a mmorpg use "antisocial" as some sort of insult. It's a label even the government uses to keep sheep in line. Don't follow the crowd? You're antisocial.

Anyway think about it next time. You are trying to make friends in a video game while calling people antisocial. If you can't understand how much of a joke that is, you need to go outside and get laid, rather than rp bang all you friends in game you big socialite, you.
    I can say without a doubt that you are antisocial.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast