+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: a warning to all players

Default a warning to all players

MMOs may be dangerous to you health along with any other computer related stuff
    spending too much time on your computer will lead to carpal tunnel, which the doctor i just spoke to said i was in the early stages so i have to give my hand a rest. read up on it and take precautions

just wanted to inform everyone

Currently 32.

Been sitting in front of a computer nearly every day for the last 15 years.

No carpal tunnel.

However, I constantly use my hands and arms for more strenuous work. Lifting the kids, working in the yard, carrying heavy things. etc.

Keep your arms and hands flexible. Use them.

OP - It's to late for you, make your time.

My Rift Diary: Rift Diary

It's all in how you hold your hands and where you position the keyboard. I suppose there might be some individual susceptibility to carpal tunnel, as well.

I've been using computers for decades, and I've no sign of carpal tunnel.

Use a trackball, no carpal tunnel?

| <Fearless> | Defiant | Molinar |

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Palvy View Post
    It's all in how you hold your hands and where you position the keyboard. I suppose there might be some individual susceptibility to carpal tunnel, as well.

I've been using computers for decades, and I've no sign of carpal tunnel.
    Exactly. How have you been positioning your hands when you spam the 1 key repeatedly? Do you remain in proper typing position or do you just stick out your index finger and mash away?

Default Indeed

Indeed, highly addictive!
    No matter how dark the night, morning always comes. And our journey begins anew...

OP has just found out he has carpal tunnel.

Decides to warn the community.

I lol for a few minutes, then get on with my day.
    Last edited by x Ze x; 06-11-2011 at 06:06 AM.
    "It always sound scarier when a hollerer talk soft."

i was a table games dealer for 15 years, now in front of a comp at work and while i play mmo's. Still dont have this ailment. Keeping your hands flexible is very important, start stretching your fingers by placing your palms together and pressing your fingers back as far as they will go, also stretch your thumb my pushing it towards your arm as far as it will go. Your palms are what your trying to stetch. This is a tried and true method to battle this which can be dibilitating after years of dealing. My shift boss taught me this the first day of class.

Quote Originally Posted by scoobyo View Post
    MMOs may be dangerous to you health along with any other computer related stuff
    spending too much time on your computer will lead to carpal tunnel, which the doctor i just spoke to said i was in the early stages so i have to give my hand a rest. read up on it and take precautions

just wanted to inform everyone

uh..... it's a nerve problem, not a computer problem. CT syndrome happens when the median nerve gets pressured in tight spots most notably the wrist. It affects the small muscles in the hand and some sensations.

CTS is mostly due to congenital factors, trauma and injury such as a fracture/sprain. Many workers who use tools such as jackhammers, nail guns, etc are prone to CTS. Cysts and tumors can also cause CTS. Same thing with broken wrist bones, edema from arthritis, diabetes or pregnancy. Even obesity, gout or hypothyroidism can aggravate CTS.

Using a computer repetitive has not been proven to be a cause but a factor to aggravate CTS. Just quitting use of a computer doesn't mean you are not prone to getting CTS through another means. Mostly repetitive movements of the wrist in normal work or other activities such as golf, baseball, gardening, writing, typing and so on can result in bursitis and tendonitis rather than CTS. BTW, writer's cramp is not a symptom of CTS.

So, before you "cry wolf", I highly suggest you so totally read from reliable sources all about CTS. If you don't know reliable sources, try the National institute of Health on Neurological Disorders or Mayo Clinic.

In all probability you got CTS due to congenital factors and other consistent factors that caused swellings to the median nerve. Just using the computer is not the reason involved. You need to have a pre-disposition.

Talk to your doctor. I bet you would have CTS even if you didn't use the computer. It's all about not enough space in your wrist for the median nerve to move freely without any pressure. The rest of the story is which factor or factors decreased that space for long periods of time to start causing symptoms of CTS.

FYI
    Last edited by Jorun; 06-11-2011 at 08:59 AM.

It is also unhealthy to sit on your butt for hours on end playing video games or working in an office but a multitude of us still do it.

Personally over the next month I want to build up my tech bench so I can stand and work.

aux

Yeah I had trouble with my hands a few years back. As a programmer I type a lot. And fast. All day long. Till my fingers started to hurt.
    Now I work less hard, and my hands are healthy. Just find a good balance.
    I'm so BORED

There's a lot of things that can happen to hands from typing, mousing, etc.

The big things are:
    1. Learn about basic ergonomics if you're going to spend a lot of time at a computer.
    2. In general, if something hurts, stop doing it that way.
    3. Be aware that there are personal variances, and what's good for one person may not be good for another.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Telaran

u guys can can call me daddy

Soulwalker

If i listened to every little concern my doctor has had or listened to every study made i'd be to paranoid to even leave my house let alone eat a lot of the foods or use a lot of the tech gadgets out there. The fact of the matter is one day your body is gonna start getting tired and when it does it won't care if you've exercised and ate right all your life or sat at a computer desk working or playing games all day it will just start giving you troubles. No amount of preventative anything will stop you from these problems.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by x Ze x View Post
    OP has just found out he has carpal tunnel.

Decides to warn the community.

I lol for a few minutes, then get on with my day.
    I just spit up my drink

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast