+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Learning to Play

Default Learning to Play

"My rogue sucks in PvP. I cannot beat anything. I should be able to use 51 points in Riftstalker and kill a Pyromancer face to face."
    "I should be able to use my full PvP specific gear in your PvE raids."
    "My toughness score should not make a difference when I tank, I'm wearing like 5000 points of armor."
    "This is BS, how can a ranged class beat my melee class from 50 meters?!"
    "WTF?! I can die if I stay too long under water? What if I'm fighting or gathering stuff?!"
    "These mobs keep attacking me when I come within an inch of them, and they are grey!"

You have all heard these lines, in one shape or another. What advice do most players give to these statements? "Learn to play," of course. It is a phrase that has been around since the inception of MMO's. It is quick advice given to players who are irrational and misguided as they struggle playing through content without asking advice.

My question is though, "Is it rude to tell someone like this to learn how to play the game before they spout off one of the above statements?" Have any of you felt hurt when someone told you to learn how to play after making one of the above comments or something similar? If so, why did you feel hurt, and what could have been done to make you feel better?

You have to have thick skin when you're posting in a public, anonymous forum... or you shouldn't post.

I don't mean that in a bad way, there's just a world of dlcks out there that will find YOU. Take it with a grain of salt, look at the positive, helpful responses and move on. If your mom tells you "learn to play", worry about it.

Z
    Last edited by Znick; 06-10-2011 at 08:00 AM.

The Order of the Silver Hand is recruiting! Dayblind - Guardian - www.TheOrderoftheSilverHand.com

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu View Post
    "My rogue sucks in PvP. I cannot beat anything. I should be able to use 51 points in Riftstalker and kill a Pyromancer face to face."
    "I should be able to use my full PvP specific gear in your PvE raids."
    "My toughness score should not make a difference when I tank, I'm wearing like 5000 points of armor."
    "This is BS, how can a ranged class beat my melee class from 50 meters?!"
    "WTF?! I can die if I stay too long under water? What if I'm fighting or gathering stuff?!"
    "These mobs keep attacking me when I come within an inch of them, and they are grey!"

You have all heard these lines, in one shape or another. What advice do most players give to these statements? "Learn to play," of course. It is a phrase that has been around since the inception of MMO's. It is quick advice given to players who are irrational and misguided as they struggle playing through content without asking advice.

My question is though, "Is it rude to tell someone like this to learn how to play the game before they spout off one of the above statements?" Have any of you felt hurt when someone told you to learn how to play after making one of the above comments or something similar? If so, why did you feel hurt, and what could have been done to make you feel better?
    Answering as I have it my signature. Cpt Dog O'Prairie doesn't mean that anyone has to become a world champion in playing their fav game; rather, he means that we need to recover our long-lost ability to actually PLAY games instead of taking them as some kind of unpaid jobs or substitutes for real life.
    Whatever the intended meaning, if used as an answer to a post, yes I think it's a somewhat undiplomatic advice.
    Last edited by Goodberry; 06-10-2011 at 08:04 AM.
    Never give a sword to a man who can't dance (Confucius)

<duplicate post, sorry>
    Last edited by Goodberry; 06-10-2011 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodberry View Post
    Answering as I have it my signature. Cpt Dog O'Prairie doesn't mean that anyone has to become a world champion in playing their fav game; rather, he means that we need to recover our long-lost ability to actually PLAY games instead of taking them as some kind of unpaid jobs or substitutes for real life.
    Whatever the intended meaning, if used as an answer to a post, yes I think it's a somewhat undiplomatic advice.
    See, in my mind I had named your cute little sig creature Admiral Cuddlington Von Fuzzynuts, Dog of the Prairies. I think it is a far more suitable name. Perhaps you should adopt it in place of the one you have in place at present.
    Jharyn - Cleric - Druishamsticar! / Inquisicabanel!
    Member of the Brotherhood of the Dawn
    Faeblight Roleplayer

Quote Originally Posted by Insubstantial View Post
    See, in my mind I had named your cute little sig creature Admiral Cuddlington Von Fuzzynuts, Dog of the Prairies. I think it is a far more suitable name. Perhaps you should adopt it in place of the one you have in place at present.
    Wow... I've been calling him "Admiral Cuddlington VAN Fuzzynuts" Go figger.

Z

The Order of the Silver Hand is recruiting! Dayblind - Guardian - www.TheOrderoftheSilverHand.com

"Them's fightin' words, human N00bs!"
    Last edited by Goodberry; 06-10-2011 at 08:29 AM.

Have at you von fuzzynuts!
    Jharyn - Cleric - Druishamsticar! / Inquisicabanel!
    Member of the Brotherhood of the Dawn
    Faeblight Roleplayer

+ Reply to Thread