+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any really good sanbox mmos out there?

Shadowlander

Default Any really good sanbox mmos out there?

Rift is my first real mmo, but recently I have become increasingly interested in trying out a sanbox mmo. I took a brief look at eve and found the gameplay really not to my taste, so I figured I would ask here. My dream mmo has little in the way of grind (and kill x of x quests) and lots of user generated content. Being an rp geek I also require a strong rper presence, preferably their own server! Does anybody have any recommendations for me?

Telaran

If you are looking for a sandbox type mmo the best one i can reccomend is Archeage .

3 land masses , 1 for each faction and 1 contested for those that want rvr .

you can build houses , build cities, build a shop and be a crafter hireing npc`s to run the shop for you .

chop down trees, plant trees, grow crops, build warships, have naval battles . .

siege warfare, burn down cities , castles , or just dungeon crawl. total sandbox, player driven endgame player driven encomy , crafted items are some of the best items in game .

you can eeven furnish your house and arrange the items in it for those that like that sort of thing.

I`m terrible at links but i`d suggest you take a look on youtube for ARCHEAGE 3RD GENERATION that title has a great vid for it all showing in game footage aswell as devs comentary.

Aswell as NAVAL BATTLE IN ARCHEAGE on youtube simply amazing ingame footage .
    Last edited by tasar; 06-08-2011 at 10:54 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by tasar View Post
    If you are looking for a sandbox type mmo the best one i can reccomend is Archeage .

3 land masses , 1 for each faction and 1 contested for those that want rvr .

you can build houses , build cities, build a shop and be a crafter hireing npc`s to run the shop for you .

chop down trees, plant trees, grow crops, build warships, have naval battles . .

siege warfare, burn down cities , castles , or just dungeon crawl. total sandbox, player driven endgame player driven encomy , crafted items are some of the best items in game .

you can eeven furnish your house and arrange the items in it for those that like that sort of thing.

I`m terrible at links but i`d suggest you take a look on youtube for ARCHEAGE 3RD GENERATION that title has a great vid for it all showing in game footage aswell as devs comentary.

Aswell as NAVAL BATTLE IN ARCHEAGE on youtube simply amazing ingame footage .
    Only problem is, it's not out there yet and won't be for another year unless your in Korea.

Maybe take a look at Ryzom?

Sez

People have told me minecraft is supposidly nothing but sandbox.

Have fun with that, imma go kill a dragon.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Could always go for an old timer and look at UO for a good sandbox. It's got a few years under it's belt, but it is still relatively strong in terms of open world content to find/explore.
    ***Somebody has to be willing to push to get the ball rolling***

Telaran

here you go actualy got the links to work this time .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmcNHa7y9bg
    Last edited by tasar; 06-09-2011 at 01:02 PM.

Shadowlander

That looks really nice but I don't think it will be out for some time.

Asheron's Call is a great sandbox game. It kept my interest for the better part of a decade.

If the mechanics were slightly updated and the graphics were modernized, I'd be all over it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireforge View Post
    Your patience is completely unnecessary in this matter. You put a quarter in the machine and you need your gumball. It's cool.
    Your "Likes" fuel me.
    E . ` ' / . F
    Selling 1.4 Crafting Components. X-Shard Delivery Available.

Sweet jesus, Arche Age looks sweet. That's one more game to try this year.

You need to look for shortcomings in yourself before you look for them in others. Otherwise, you're just a fat bluff and your word means nothing.

I don't want to get my hopes up on ArcheAge. But the very intricate sandbox systems are starting to prove that it's going to be the reminder in the MMORPG genre as to what MMORPG's are truly about.

Haseno
    "Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
    I love my comma's, deal with it, chump.

Thumbs up

You could allways try Istaria (used to be called Horizons) was bought back by the original devs and is still a decent game. Plus its the ONLY mmo where you can actually be a Dragon and fly.
    Great landscapes and content is being updated alot more-often than certain 'top' mmo's.
    Oh it can also be a F2P game so it's worth checking out with no upfront expence

http://www.istaria.com/

Ascendant

Xsyon is the one and only. You can build everything there its so realistic you die when you get too old. Its full pvp so carebears can take it easy. But its really proper sandbox.
    Last edited by June; 06-09-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Shadowlander

I don't mind pvp too much, but an active community (particularly an active rp community) is a must for me, do those games have that?

+ Reply to Thread