Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: An open apology to the Rift General Discussion Community

Default An open apology to the Rift General Discussion Community

I have received more than one negative rep where the comments tell me I'm trying to hard. I believe those comments are correct and I shall try to tone my posts/threads down. I don't want to do anything to harm this great community and game.

I know I can be too intense at times. I don't just play MMOs, I live em. Back in 1997 when I wanted to get into the UO beta, I went to OSI's HQ in Austin. This was back in the days when Richard was still in charge of UO, before EA paid him to go away. Yes, I did leave Austin with the beta CD.

Now, fast forward to 2008, to see if I had lost any of that passion. I went to Oslo to see Funcom about getting into their beta for AoC. Yep, it worked again. BTW, if YOU want to try this, I suggest you call ahead and set up an appointment with QA or marketing. Most game companies are VERY busy and don't have time to meet with every crazed fan who tracks em down.

Yes, I've been to EA's California HQ a few times too. but I think you get the picture. I luv MMOs.

So, now it's 2010... I do NOT plan on traveling to Redwood Shores again. I'll meet and interface with the Dev's and the community here on the forums.

Once again, I'm sorry. I shall try to remain passionate without slipping over the edge.

Peace.
    Last edited by MacDeath; 08-12-2010 at 04:53 AM.
    Mac

It takes a lot to stand up and apologize like this. Though I have not been able to personally run into any of your 'passionate' posts, I am sure others who have can at least acknowledge the apology.

Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    I have received more than one negative rep where the comments tell me I'm trying to hard. I believe those comments are correct and I shall try to tone my posts/threads down. I don't want to do anything to harm this great community and game.

I know I can be too intense at times. I don't just play MMOs, I live em. Back in 1997 when I wanted to get into the UO beta, I went to OSI's HQ in Austin. This was back in the days when Richard was still in charge of UO, before EA paid him to go away. Yes, I did leave Austin with the beta CD.

Now, fast forward to 2008, to see if I had lost any of that passion. I went to Oslo to see Funcom about getting into their beta for AoC. Yep, it worked again. BTW, if YOU want to try this, I suggest you call ahead and set up an appointment with QA or marketing. Most game companies are VERY busy and don't have time to meet with every crazed fan who tracks em down.

Yes, I've been to EA's California HQ a few times too. but I think you get the picture. I luv MMOs.

So, now it's 2010... I do NOT plan on traveling to Redwood Shores again. I'll meet and interface with the Dev's and the community here on the forums.

Once again, I'm sorry. I shall try to remain passionate without slipping over the edge.

Peace.
    MacDeath, this is very sad brother, rep system should not lead to censorship in this matter. People who choose to support your posts will do so, people who do not will do so.

You cannot please everyone, and passion does nothing more than exemplify your love for what you do. Do not change your ways because you did not appease 100% of the community. this is becoming politics. I want to hear how you feel on posts not some fabricated answers.

/salute brother, I have not seen any of your posts what warranted negative feedback. I do not mean negative feed back in the form of disagreement, either, that is not negative. I mean something against my scruples.

You're not the only one who 'live MMO's', hehe. I'd say if you want it this much they shouldn't stop you. And with your experience, they'd be lucky to have you!

Tjena!

Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    MacDeath, this is very sad brother, rep system should not lead to censorship in this matter. People who choose to support your posts will do so, people who do not will do so.

You cannot please everyone, and passion does nothing more than exemplify your love for what you do. Do not change your ways because you did not appease 100% of the community. this is becoming politics. I want to hear how you feel on posts not some fabricated answers.

/salute brother, I have not seen any of your posts what warranted negative feedback. I do not mean negative feed back in the form of disagreement, either, that is not negative. I mean something against my scruples.
    /agree. + rep for you, Blink. [EDIT: Ooops, can't rep you yet. Already did that somewhere too :/]

Mac, I'd +rep you but apparently I've already done that today. Look, you shouldn't apologize for your comments, it's not like you've started an epic flame war or anything. You are passionate, but you ain't "out there".

Be true to thyself!

-Krush

It seems to me there are some rep trolls going around just giving bad rep to help themselves get into beta, these forums are here for anyone to post what they feel the game should or shouldn't have. Don't let someone who is giving bad rep bring you down. Keep posting what it is you have on your mind and people will appreciate you for it. I personally do not care about my rep on the forums. I post on topics that i feel are important and say whatever I want. I guess this is why I have very little rep. LOL

Positive rep to you for making this post.

It takes allot of effort to post and admit your problems, I never noticed anything that was over the top from your post, you opinions are yours some will agree and some won't, but to come out and say sorry take allot of guts.

+1

And this is exactly why I feel this rep system is just a bad idea. It is to easy to for others to pass judgment on someone whose intentions may have been innocent, but subsequent actions may have been somewhat unacceptable. Nonetheless that person should not be 'penalized' for their passion.

I am not saying that MacDeath is in the right, as I haven't read anything that has appeared offensive in anyway, but unless he has caused outright unacceptable behavior on the forums, it shouldn't be used against him.

The only people who should be able to distribute rep is Trion. Do us and yourselves a favor Trion and nip this problem in the bud before it gets out of hand.

I would say go on and keep posting what you will. No need to censor yourself because of some ridiculous beta hungry trolls.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

Again i try to appeal to the forum admin to DISABLE the option to decrease some1's reputation, it leads to censorship, hatred and nothing good can come from it. This is a perfect example in which MacDeath is sorry for having an opinion it is sad that it has come to this.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1282&dateline=1279040  725

Agreed. I'm not sure I've read any of MacDeath's posts (I tend to read the posts for what they contain, not who posted them) but I believe that the forums are meant for everyone to give their honest opinion. I've read some things that I did not agree with but I enjoy reading it because all feedback will eventually make Rift a great MMO. I'm sure I've posted some stuff others did not agree with as well.

Sad day when other people can stifle feedback just by hitting a rep button. If this happens too much, we'll just end up with another cookie-cutter MMO.

I don't think your trying too hard...heck you only have 299 posts (at the time of my post).

+1 (taking the low road is always a plus in my book)

Telaran

I feel your pain brother, I've gotten some negative rep for saying my opinion in threads.

Sometimes I get so adamant about what I believe, be it class design, crafting ideas, pve, pvp. Does not matter, I'm a very logical person and sometimes when things don't make sense, I have to say so and people don't like being told "hey, maybe you're not seeing this the right way"

Like the summoner thread in the class design thread, I got told "You are wrong." when explaining my design of a summoner and you know what, maybe I could have neg rep'd the guy but hey, its an opinion, I'm allowed mine, you're allowed yours.

I think rep should only be +, because being - repped is just no fun and sometimes it's unjustly done.

At one point, I had in my signature something like "Rep me if you like what I'm posting" and I got neg rep'd because of my signature, not even what I said in the post...I was like "w T F". Anyway, don't let other people dictate what you say, even if you get neg rep'd for it. I'm sure the devs would prefer honestly over censorship.

I agree with Blink 100% on this. You have to be you man. Now if you are trolling, and you know it, then yea, chill the %&$@ down. But if you are just stating your true opinion which happens to be the unpopular one, don't worry what other people think of it. The only opinion aside from your own that matters when it comes to this game is the devs'.
    GeeksNGamers.com- Get Plugged In!

Shield of Telara

This reps for you Macdeath.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast