+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trion...you've got problems. And this time they're external.

Champion

Default Trion...you've got problems. And this time they're external.

Let me Preface this post with two things. 1. Its long. 2. Its NOT DYING.

If you were a major starwars fan like i am you were shocked dismayed and likely outraged over the announcement nearly a year ago now for 'space on rails'. A starfox combat style system limiting movement and direction. Not allowing ships to be able to sit in space and give the true space combat sim feel a LARGE portion of the fanbase wanted. This was a piece in Rift's rise to prominence.

Starwars as someone on here put it is a space opera. In the movies. That's true.

But the books have given the universe an entirely new spin on things. Games spurned on by the books enhanced this belief. Shadows of the Empire and Force Unleashed primary among them. ToR for the longest time had the highest popularity on MMORPG.com and was THE most anticipated game of the upcoming cycle. When ToR annoucned space on rails hype dropped significantly and tremendously. To the point insiders in the industry suggested that Investors could pull funding. That was speculation but reasonably based given the outcry by their potential players. Rift jumped into the vaccum with both feet.

It appears this announcement has been recinded though i havent seen a public 'announcement' on the subject. EA launched the biggest trailer for TOR just moments ago at E3 that strongly suggest that Space Combat and Travel will be released with the true 360 X Y and Z system. If this is the case. TOR Will be the biggest undertaking in MMO history and will move me back into the MUST have bracket.

Rift has an awesome story. And a solid foundation to survive in a post ToR world. But if it intends to compete head to head with ToR and WoW its going to need to accelerate plans and it needs to start making some of them more concrete and public. Mystery is fun sometimes. But if a clear idea of what is coming is not released to the public at large soon: I fear for the worst for this game. I dont want that. I've never wanted that.

Trion I think you've got the guts and the balls to make the waves necessary to keep this game afloat and not continue down the road to WoW 2.0. WoW 2.0 will NOT survive post ToR. But you need to start showing them. And start doing it now. A clear vision for the game must be revealed soon.

1.3 is firming up. Class Changes, Character Transfers, Hammerknell, surrounding events.

This is good. Its a start.

1.4-1.6 could be where this game is won or lost. I've already made predictions on the forums where the game is going. And while you've not silenced the debate it is time you do so i believe.

Key issues:

Direction: I've already talked about this. Look up.

Balance. There is a large disparity either real or imagined. There are cases where you might be better off taking the class and completely reworking it from the ground up. This is not a bad idea. I get the issues with balancing so much. It's one of the hardest parts of game design and development. But it needs to be a larger part of the thought process.

The world: The current world is small and while there is information to suggest that it is going to be increased in size new dungeons and instances wont do the trick. Scion was ready to go when the game launched. If the players aren't ready give us the tools to MAKE us ready to face what's inside.

Addons: The touchiest subject currently running right now. Some addons are wonderful. Some have been abused to high heaven and will get players to leave. This game could live or die on what addon's are allowed.

Warfronts: There are only four. PVP'ers do not like this one bit. I dont pvp so much but i'd like greater choices when i do decide to pvp. I get intergrating it into the story but come on guys. The same warfronts over and over get real boring real quick.

These are the issues that will make or break this game over the next few months. I want to resubscribe. Hell i'd dual subscribe this and ToR if this game was good enough. Right now...Its not looking that way. Trion. Make me think otherwise. Make EVERYONE think otherwise. Please.
    Last edited by Hyperion5182; 06-06-2011 at 12:13 PM.

Google leaked beta footage. Rift has nothing to worry about. Eventually they will stop delaying the release and it will become the single biggest fail ever in mmo history. I say this having wanted a good star wars mmo, but EAoware isnt going to do it.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Original_Hellfire View Post
    Google leaked beta footage. Rift has nothing to worry about. Eventually they will stop delaying the release and it will become the single biggest fail ever in mmo history. I say this having wanted a good star wars mmo, but EAoware isnt going to do it.
    I think FFXIV remains unchallenged king in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion5182 View Post
    Let me Preface this post with two things. 1. Its long. 2. Its NOT DYING.

If you were a major starwars fan like i am you were shocked dismayed and likely outraged over the announcement nearly a year ago now for 'space on rails'. A starfox combat style system limiting movement and direction. Not allowing ships to be able to sit in space and give the true space combat sim feel a LARGE portion of the fanbase wanted. This was a piece in Rift's rise to prominence.

Starwars as someone on here put it is a space opera. In the movies. That's true.

But the books have given the universe an entirely new spin on things. Games spurned on by the books enhanced this belief. Shadows of the Empire and Force Unleashed primary among them. ToR for the longest time had the highest popularity on MMORPG.com and was THE most anticipated game of the upcoming cycle. When ToR annoucned space on rails hype dropped significantly and tremendously. To the point insiders in the industry suggested that Investors could pull funding. That was speculation but reasonably based given the outcry by their potential players. Rift jumped into the vaccum with both feet.

It appears this announcement has been recinded though i havent seen a public 'announcement' on the subject. EA launched the biggest trailer for TOR just moments ago at E3 that strongly suggest that Space Combat and Travel will be released with the true 360 X Y and Z system. If this is the case. TOR Will be the biggest undertaking in MMO history and will move me back into the MUST have bracket.
    the new trailer.. the one I watched about 3 hours ago .. that still showed rail combat for space ?

And still very dubious with what I am hearing that isnt from a carefully prepared press release or interview..

Precept
    Gaming in the Multiverse

Quote Originally Posted by Xzenivar View Post
    Yes but SE didnt spend half a billion to make it.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion5182 View Post
    These are the issues that will make or break this game over the next few months. I want to resubscribe. Hell i'd dual subscribe this and ToR if this game was good enough. Right now...Its not looking that way. Trion. Make me think otherwise. Make EVERYONE think otherwise. Please.

I'm looking forward to ToR as well...love the SW universe and am excited to seeing what they do with it.

Soulwalker

/10char

+1

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by paspinall View Post
    the new trailer.. the one I watched about 3 hours ago .. that still showed rail combat for space ?

And still very dubious with what I am hearing that isnt from a carefully prepared press release or interview..
    No. The one they just used at E3 about an hour ago that showed a far different space combat system potentially. If they're still using space on rails then i've just wasted my time unfortunately.

ALC

Well-put. Sometimes there's a GOOD reason for continuous delays... sometimes not. Judging by the employee leak quite a few months back, this is one of those bad reasons. EAoware indeed. Will the icons in their MMO also look like they were slopped together in MS paint?

Will it be a corridor simulator? Ah, space-on-rails this time.:P

*Eagerly awaits the battle of the century, FFXIV vs. ToR MMO*
    Last edited by ALC; 06-06-2011 at 12:35 PM.

"All the info's there, except the info that isn't there." ~Onett Librarian

Hey now, at least FFXIV is still free to play until further notice... =P

As a life long FF fan, FFXIV was probably the most disappointing game I've played since I started playing MMORPGs. I give it a shot after each new patch, and it's getting there, but I just hope "it gets there" before I loose the will to keep trying. Haha.
    [Server] Faeblight
    [Retail] M_1=Chloromancer(D), M_2=Cleric(D), A=Rogue(D)
    [Beta 1-7] Tank (Reaver/Paladin)

Until SWTOR releases of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laughingstock
    SWTOR will hit a big enough audience on it's own to be successful. Know why? Because Star Wars has fanbois just like you: that would buy anything that says SW on the box that know nothing about Bioware.
    When defending something, the best course of action is not to admit the only thing going for it is blind devotion.

Rift Master

Dude...

Trion can do no more to insulate itself from Star Wars the Old Republic than a Maximilien Robespierre could from the damn guillotine at the end of the French Freakin Revolution.

The only people who will remain are dieharders who wouldn't leave even if Trion never fixed another problem, so they might as well just start developing a new game, and I don't doubt that's exactly what they are doing, since they've all but stopped communicating about anything. Heck, it took them 3 months to fix the damn red ball.

Rift was a reasonable success for them, but it won't stand up to the newer MMOs coming out by 2012. They might as well just take their current profits, invest them, and go into maintenance mode.
    Last edited by Lysander Salavone; 06-06-2011 at 12:41 PM.

I second this statement. Amen brother, or sister, whatever the case may be.
    You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    -Desiderata

Rift Master

"Space on Rails" is literally a mini-game with no PvP application. It's just meant as a fun distraction/alternative. You can't compare it to anything in the present market because no one else has anything like it.

And seriously, what the heck is wrong with Starfox? I loved that game. lol

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander Salavone View Post
    "Space on Rails" is literally a mini-game with no PvP application. It's just meant as a fun distraction/alternative. You can't compare it to anything in the present market because no one else has anything like it.

And seriously, what the heck is wrong with Starfox? I loved that game. lol
    Starfox =/= Star Wars. People want X-wing. They want Colony Wars they want Wing Commander. They want a fully capable full multi-directional universe to dog fight in. And in your other statement. Right now the leaked information from the beta is doing more to insulate true gamers from ToR than the tagalong casuals that just go after an IP.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast