+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Too many comparisons between Rift and "That" Game

Default Too many comparisons between Rift and "That" Game

I understand its natuaral because Warcraft is "Thee" Game and Rift is shown as a challenger to its throne so to speak... but in my eyes its really not even realistic to compare to two.. at least without a huge asterisk on the conversation. Or at least reversing time and comparing Warcraft 3 months after launch to Rift 3 months after launch.

Lets be real here. Wow has had so many years and expansions to grow and polish their product while Rift is in its infancy. Rifts seems to be patching and hotfixing almost daily.. and who knows what kind of future content we will see. More raids, PvP area's... maybe even future continents and additional classes may be added.

Give it time and patience. But too many people I see compare Warcraft today as a grown MMO to Rift as an infant MMO.

You gotta give Rift at least until after its first expansion in my opinion to start real comparisons. Yeah Yeah "IF it makes it" I dont have a doubt in my mind it will. I hope I'm right.

Giving RIFT 6 years to polish it's product is saying: stay in WoW.

The comparing is there for a lot or reasons, but it's clear that repeating history (Stormwind 2; LFD2; and ToC/ICC) is NOT going to retain the players Trion is trying to grab. WoW already has all that...and they had 6 years to polish their game to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Azraelll View Post
    I understand its natuaral because Warcraft is "Thee" Game and Rift is shown as a challenger to its throne so to speak... but in my eyes its really not even realistic to compare to two.. at least without a huge asterisk on the conversation. Or at least reversing time and comparing Warcraft 3 months after launch to Rift 3 months after launch.

Lets be real here. Wow has had so many years and expansions to grow and polish their product while Rift is in its infancy. Rifts seems to be patching and hotfixing almost daily.. and who knows what kind of future content we will see. More raids, PvP area's... maybe even future continents and additional classes may be added.

Give it time and patience. But too many people I see compare Warcraft today as a grown MMO to Rift as an infant MMO.

You gotta give Rift at least until after its first expansion in my opinion to start real comparisons. Yeah Yeah "IF it makes it" I dont have a doubt in my mind it will. I hope I'm right.
    Well this kind of thinking would be fairly reasonable and logical. As such, it has no place on these forums. We only speak in extremes, contradiction, declarative argument that has no basis in fact, and nerd rage fueled rants on these boards. You have no place here.
    You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    -Desiderata

ALC

I think that's pretty well-stated. And no, there's no point to me going back to WoW- it's gone for good, deleted the authenticator from my Touch and I'm done with it. This is, in effect, what has killed so many MMORPGs besides WoW so far. It's fine for players to rationalize "Well, they are obviously just as capable as WoW now! Gratification all-the-way, now!" To that I say, cancel your subs. This is not the game you're looking for, and probably never will live up to expectations.

I enjoy Rift for what it is. That is not to say I don't think improvements can/will be made. The game's 3 months old: it's in an MMO's infancy. After a year, I could definitely see more validity to "I WILL NEVER RIFT AGAINN!" concerns... however, now is the time Trion will have to separate the "Crash n' Burns" that travel from MMO to MMO, continuously comparing every little thing to WoW in an endlessly hungry need, and concerns from the other side of the playerbase that are very much valid and need looking into. I really wish "We're not in Azeroth anymore" wasn't a part of the advertising, since the slogan has generated so much heat for what it was. Rift could've stood on its own merits.

Patience is a virtue, but one I by no means expect every single Rift player to pay for.
    Last edited by ALC; 06-06-2011 at 12:31 PM.

"All the info's there, except the info that isn't there." ~Onett Librarian

Of course it's realistic to compare the two games.

And well done for creating another thread for everyone to do just that.
    "It always sound scarier when a hollerer talk soft."

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Marathon View Post
    Well this kind of thinking would be fairly reasonable and logical.
    No, it isn't logical or reasonable, it's idiotic.

No one's playing (at least not legally) the WoW of six years ago, they're paying to play the WoW of today. And no one in their right bloody mind is going to decide to play Rift because it's as good as another game was six years ago. Apples and Apples, Rift and WoW as they are now. Comparisons are not only inevitable, but required if you want to make any kind of informed decision as to where to put your entertainment dollar.

Rift doesn't get to compete with WoW of six years ago, any more than a new car manufacturer gets to compete with Toyotas of six years ago. You compete with what exists now, today, or don't bother.

ALC

Quote Originally Posted by Myria View Post

No one's playing (at least not legally) the WoW of six years ago, they're paying to play the WoW of today. And no one in their right bloody mind is going to decide to play Rift because it's as good as another game was six years ago. Apples and Apples, Rift and WoW as they are now. Comparisons are not only inevitable, but required if you want to make any kind of informed decision as to where to put your entertainment dollar.

Rift doesn't get to compete with WoW of six years ago, any more than a new car manufacturer gets to compete with Toyotas of six years ago. You compete with what exists now, today, or don't bother.
    Well, it seems like a lot of WoW's old community (Myself included), dislike the direction WoW has gone in. Apples and oranges: new metaphor. Major restaurant chain cheapens the spices and flavor of their food. They want you to pay the same price for this food, and want that now. Newer yet smaller restaurant has excellent food, but a limited menu. There are signs that this menu will have newer dishes added to it, and many people enjoy eating there. It's potential for a new direction.

"All the info's there, except the info that isn't there." ~Onett Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Myria View Post

well it hasn't stopped a ****load of people from trying on these forums has it? that was the point. yes it is idiotic.
    Last edited by Marathon; 06-06-2011 at 12:43 PM.
    You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    -Desiderata

Too many people screaming wow-clone because thats all they ever played so all they can see is wow. Unlike the rest of us who got sick of wow long time ago, or just never played it.

All games are wow-clones because you can only make a wheel so different before it looks like all the other wheels out there.
    :: Ceileigh Amberlight - Dwarf Engineer :: Nimhue Amberlight - Dwarf Druid :: Faeblight ::

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne View Post
    Giving RIFT 6 years to polish it's product is saying: stay in WoW.

The comparing is there for a lot or reasons, but it's clear that repeating history (Stormwind 2; LFD2; and ToC/ICC) is NOT going to retain the players Trion is trying to grab. WoW already has all that...and they had 6 years to polish their game to do it.
    It is NOT POSSIBLE for a new MMO to be as polished as a 6 year old MMO. To expect otherwise is lunacy.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by FoxMaiden View Post
    Too many people screaming wow-clone because thats all they ever played so all they can see is wow. Unlike the rest of us who got sick of wow long time ago, or just never played it.

All games are wow-clones because you can only make a wheel so different before it looks like all the other wheels out there.
    The limited nature of what RIFT allowed you to do when it was released is what made it great. The more they add - cross server lfd, add-ons, meters, is what will make it bad.

So yes it is a valid comparasin to compare it to WoW, because every new feature they add these days is mimicing a WoW feature that alot of people were sick of, and alot of people liked.

Pick a side Trion - make it WoW 2.0 and let me move on from your blizzard cloning attmept - or be different, and allow me to enjoy a NEW game.

IXI

People compare Rift and WoW because WoW was their first MMO. They don't see the heavy influence from other MMOs too. Even aesthetically, Rift is based nothing on WoW. They borrowed as much from WoW as WoW did from Everquest.
    It's spelled "Riftdrawal", and yeah you have it.

yes it is correct to say that Rift today has to compete with WOW today but if that's the case how exactly is it lacking? Other than someone subjective preferences how is it failing to compete?
    -Desiderata

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Azraelll View Post

So lets talk cars.

I'm driving around my beautiful, new, extremely polished, safe and comfortable 2010 Toyota.

But suddenly a new dealer (we'll call them Trion) manufactures the 2011 Rift Planarite. It has exactly half the features of my Toyota, half the safety rating, half the gas millage, no airconditioning, no AM/FM radio, no power steering, no cruise control... and the sunroof only opens half the time you try to open it.

But suddenly Azraelli on the Internet tells me: "Stop comparing it to Toyoda! Toyoda has been around for decades! It's not fair. Have patience and give it some time! In 6 years, Rift Planarite will be a good car."

Now I ask you: Would you take Azraelli from the Internet seriously... or would you go back to your ****ing Toyoda?
    Last edited by Lysander Salavone; 06-06-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Rift plays like a MMO Greatest Hits compilation with fresh graphics, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. The dungeons, raids, PvP, and game world are all to my liking. Trion still has a year or more to innovate their way to the top, and meanwhile the foundation is rock solid. Any new MMO has to be ready to compete as-is with the other established products, and Trion has exceeded my expectations.

People headed back to WoW as they wait for their subs to expire have good reason to whine here - Rift is the first real threat to their massive time investment in that slowly collapsing supernova, and they're afraid they won't have anyone to go back to.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast