+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Too many comparisons between Rift and "That" Game

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander Salavone View Post
    So lets talk cars.

I'm driving around my beautiful, new, extremely polished, safe and comfortable 2010 Toyota.

But suddenly a new dealer (we'll call them Trion) manufactures the 2011 Rift Planarite. It has exactly half the features of my Toyota, half the safety rating, half the gas millage, no airconditioning, no AM/FM radio, no power steering, no cruise control... and the sunroof only opens half the time you try to open it.

But suddenly Azraelli on the Internet tells me: "Stop comparing it to Toyoda! Toyoda has been around for decades! It's not fair. Have patience and give it some time! In 6 years, Rift Planarite will be a good car."

Now I ask you: Would you take Azraelli from the Internet seriously... or would you go back to your ****ing Toyoda?
    dont think the examples accurate. MMOs evolve. when a particular years model of a car is released its a finished product. An MMO isnt a finished product until the servers close down.
    Last edited by Marathon; 06-06-2011 at 01:20 PM.
    You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    -Desiderata

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Marathon View Post
    dont think the examples accurate. MMOs evolve. when a particular model of a car is released its a finished product. An MMO isnt a finished product until the servers close down.
    If only MMOs were like cars... we'd have finished products that measure up to the current competition when they are released... perhaps even stuff that takes a bold step forward... not crap that's lightyears behind.
    Last edited by Lysander Salavone; 06-06-2011 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valnen View Post
    It is NOT POSSIBLE for a new MMO to be as polished as a 6 year old MMO. To expect otherwise is lunacy.
    It's lunacy to ask players to wait 6 years for RIFT to be polished, too.

We all know RIFT is new, but RIFT has something Blizzard didn't have...history.

RIFT has that benefit. RIFT doesn't NEED 6 years to polish their game!

I think the issue with MMOs lately is that when they are released, they *aren't* finished products... in fact, some of them shouldn't have even left Beta yet.
    well ill totally agree with you there but i thought Trion did a superb job. Honestly, they've been the best company ive seen to date in most regards. Ive never seen a company this responsive to its customer base and so willing to address and correct problems as they have come up. People should value them more.
    You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    -Desiderata

Rift Master

well ill totally agree with you there but i thought Trion did a superb job. Honestly, they've been the best company ive seen to date in most regards. Ive never seen a company this responsive to its customer base and so willing to address and correct problems as they have come up. People should value them more.
    To be 100% dead honest, I think the bar has been set so low after catastrophic flop after catastrophic flop that people are looking for ANY MMO that actually runs, has PvP, doesn't totally suck, and isn't WoW.

In that respect... Rift wins the prize. It actually runs. It has PvP. It doesn't totally suck. It isn't WoW...

... and it's the first MMO since WoW that's had all of that.
    Last edited by Lysander Salavone; 06-06-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Azraelll View Post
    I understand its natuaral because Warcraft is "Thee" Game and Rift is shown as a challenger to its throne so to speak... but in my eyes its really not even realistic to compare to two.. at least without a huge asterisk on the conversation. Or at least reversing time and comparing Warcraft 3 months after launch to Rift 3 months after launch.

Lets be real here. Wow has had so many years and expansions to grow and polish their product while Rift is in its infancy. Rifts seems to be patching and hotfixing almost daily.. and who knows what kind of future content we will see. More raids, PvP area's... maybe even future continents and additional classes may be added.

Give it time and patience. But too many people I see compare Warcraft today as a grown MMO to Rift as an infant MMO.

You gotta give Rift at least until after its first expansion in my opinion to start real comparisons. Yeah Yeah "IF it makes it" I dont have a doubt in my mind it will. I hope I'm right.
    You do see the irony between your post and the subject of your post right?

Champion

Can you imagine the car company... Hey we just released our brand new car. We have most of the basics in place such as seat belts and air bags; but the power stearing and air conditioning will have to wait for a few more years. You can't expect for us to compete with companies that have been making cars for decades now can you? Just not fair. Buy our cars as they are and in a few years we will let you trade them in for cars that have stereos in 2014.

Fact is Rift competes straight up today with what WoW is offering. Rift does actually have somewhat of an advantage in getting all the 6 year WoW veterans that have 5 level 85's and are looking for something different.

I think at first glance and for the first 30-60 days Rift does very very well head to head. Longterm Rift hurts a bit with only two starting areas and lack luster race. The soul system is great and flexible... but it also means you can level to 50 as a mage DPS and then magically change to a healer with a simple soul switch. This is fun and has a lot of upside... but there is a downside in that people don't need to roll a new character in a new race in which they get to experience an entire new starting area with it's own quest lines to level 12-15. Then after that you can easily find multiple areas to level in that are completely different even if you are in the same faction.

Rift is a good game. We are here because we like playing it. We make our HONEST comments because some of us have played both extensively. There is a ton of things to like about Rift. But it is silly to give Trion a pass for being late to market. They have a bit of wiggle room as people level to compete with WoW's content. But after 6 months to a year it is no longer going to work to say 'Rift is new so give them 6 years to catch up to wow.. " Because Blizzard certainly will be releasing new content and also has a new MMO in the works as well.

To be 100% dead honest, I think the bar has been set so low after catastrophic flop after catastrophic flop that people are looking for ANY MMO that actually runs, has PvP, doesn't totally suck, and isn't WoW.

In that respect... Rift wins the prize. It actually runs. It has PvP. It doesn't totally suck. It isn't WoW...

... and it's the first MMO since WoW that's had all of that.
    As an initial entry into the genre its a very good one. Based on that im willing to give them my sub to see what else they come up with. I will say this though, anyone that thinks SW or GW2 are going to be breaking any significant new ground are fooling themselves. When genre changing innovation comes its going to be from somewhere no one expected. That's the way it happens.
    -Desiderata

As an initial entry into the genre its a very good one. Based on that im willing to give them my sub to see what else they come up with. I will say this though, anyone that thinks SW or GW2 are going to be breaking any significant new ground are fooling themselves. When genre changing innovation comes its going to be from somewhere no one expected. That's the way it happens.
    Amen.

It's not coming from the status quo.

It'll be from a Trion like startup, who has nothing to lose and everything to gain.

So.. All of you expect ANY MMO to release 6 years of game content upon initial reelase to be able to compete with WoW? Using cars as an example is lame.., do cars have updates during the year? These types of threads make me laugh. And btw, there has been car companies that released cars with 'lower' ratings at first, got bad reviews, make crappy cars but stuck it out and now can 'compete' with the big boys. Again, there is no way to compare the two games. No MMO is gonna release 6 years of content at start as it would take them 6 years or maybe more to develop which during that time WoW would have had another 6 years of game content added to it... If you dont like the game, then **** and go play WoW.. plenty of bridges to go troll under there.

Soulwalker

I don't have much issue with comparing this game to WoW (or any other). My problem is the people out there who seem to want to just do everything the way it's done in WoW. If I wanted a game with every one of WoW's features, I'll just start my subscription back up.

Btw.....does anyone else think Rift plays more like a better version of warhammer online than it does WoW?

It's one of my least favorite things about RIFT. In WoW, there were a lot fewer comparsions to other games, that was much better. RIFT should be more like that.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Rift Master

GW2 is, without a doubt, breaking MASSIVE new ground. For starters, there's not a single static quest in the game... and every class can tank, heal or DPS. Right there, I mean... JESUS... that's kinda like the absolute opposite of quest-driven, class-driven MMOs.

... now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's going to work, but saying GW2 isn't TRYING to break new ground is about the most ignorant thing you can say.
    Last edited by Lysander Salavone; 06-06-2011 at 01:44 PM.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Phelissa View Post
    So.. All of you expect ANY MMO to release 6 years of game content upon initial reelase to be able to compete with WoW? Using cars as an example is lame.., do cars have updates during the year? These types of threads make me laugh. And btw, there has been car companies that released cars with 'lower' ratings at first, got bad reviews, make crappy cars but stuck it out and now can 'compete' with the big boys. Again, there is no way to compare the two games. No MMO is gonna release 6 years of content at start as it would take them 6 years or maybe more to develop which during that time WoW would have had another 6 years of game content added to it... If you dont like the game, then **** and go play WoW.. plenty of bridges to go troll under there.
    Thankfully, the trolling is limited to the forums atm, and not in game.

As soon as meters, cross server LFD, and add-ons are allowed the in game trolling shall begin. wait and watch. I will be the first in line to say I told you so.

Soulwalker

Well this kind of thinking would be fairly reasonable and logical. As such, it has no place on these forums. We only speak in extremes, contradiction, declarative argument that has no basis in fact, and nerd rage fueled rants on these boards. You have no place here.
    ^....nerd rage!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast