+ Reply to Thread

Thread: (un)Official Rift Team for Folding@Home

Soulwalker

Thumbs up (un)Official Rift Team for Folding@Home

(Mods, feel free to move this to a more appropriate section)

Rift has a lot of awesome people in it, with a lot of awesome computers. If you'd like to put your extra processor cycles to use for a good cause, consider joining the Rift team at Folding@Home

What is Folding@Home?

"Folding@home is a distributed computing project, that very simply stated, studies protein folding and misfolding. Protein folding is explained in more detail in the scientific background section. "

What is Distributed Computing?

"Distributed Computing is a method of computer processing in which different parts of a program, or different portions of data, are processing simultaneously on two or more computers that are communicating with each other over a network or through the Internet. "

To put it simply Folding@Home is a program you install on your computer. It runs using your CPU's normally wasted processing cycles and simulates the folding of proteins to advance science regarding "diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes."

Main site: http://folding.stanford.edu/

Download page, CPU version: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Download

High performance, GPU version (for high-end GPUs): http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther

Team ID: 207610
    Team page: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...teamnum=207610

How to join the team:
    -To join all you need to do is install the client, go to the configuration menu (right click on the tray icon), and put the team ID number in the box that asks for it.

I've -just- started this today, so there are no stats of yet, but I'd love to see others take part!

I think this would fall under "off-topic" (not to backseat moderate or anything)

Telaran

Thumbs up

I'm already running this on my home pc. Right now I'm not signed in as part of any group, just contributing as an individual. I'd be happy to add you group ID and lend some unused cpu cycles.

I'm not a man with a lot of money. I don't have a lot of time to lend to those in need. I can however lend a few extra dollars worth of power usage and some cpu usage. This is a good cause I can get behind.

I'm in.
    We run this on the 11 lab PCs at work and have been doing so for well over a year. We have our own group for that, but I've never set it up on my home PC. Might as well while I'm thinking about it; it'll be interesting to see how many people jump onboard.

Not to hijack the thread, but some might also be interested in:

Seti@home
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it's dressed in overalls and looks like work."
    Thomas Edison

Stop the Beating!

Quote Originally Posted by Murff View Post

Seti@home
    And also that folding works very good with ATI.. Folding@home does not support the ATI streams correct and you get 1/3 to 1/2 the production.
    System:
    Win7 64bit - I7 930 3.38GHz Liquid Cooled - 6 GB DDR3 - Ati 5970 Driver 11.8 CCC 2 - HDD Raid 0 1 TB -2nd HDD 1TB SATA - Blu-Ray - Display 32" Samsung HDTV 1920x1080

been running this on my PS3 for about 3 years now. Awesome idea.
    Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Quote Originally Posted by Murff View Post

Seti@home
    Very true.
    I'm personally more invested in dedicating my flops to real-world research into genetic anomalies like Alzheimer's, even if the project's polish isn't as pretty as SETI, but to each their own.

+ Reply to Thread