+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Who keeps saying nerf MMOs?

Default Who keeps saying nerf MMOs?

I really don't understand this. MMORPGs keep getting easier and easier by the year, but who's crying about stuff being to hard?!

I understand a lot of the new generation want things handed to them on a...diamond platter, but don't MMO vets outnumber spoon fed children at the moment? I mean, 90% of the people i talk to say the genre is getting way to easy and they miss the old EQ/UO days.

When will they get it right? When will they realize that most of us want challenge, not a insta max level with the best gear in the game! We want more then PvP/PvE we want non-combat too! We want a decent crafting system that is WORTH leveling!

Who knows maybe I'm just burnt out, or maybe I'm waiting for a game to do it right.

#show
    suppressmacrofailures
    /Rant End
    Last edited by Raiga; 06-06-2011 at 04:58 AM.
    Got an itch for anime? Visit my anime thread here!
    Nexiga
    Retired from Rift

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
    but who's crying about stuff being to hard?!
    Bad players.
    Last edited by SnakeBites; 06-06-2011 at 05:07 AM.

I really don't understand this. MMORPGs keep getting easier and easier by the year, but who's crying about stuff being to hard?!

I understand a lot of the new generation want things handed to them on a...diamond platter, but don't MMO vets outnumber spoon fed children at the moment? I mean, 90% of the people i talk to say the genre is getting way to easy and they miss the old EQ/UO days.

When will they get it right? When will they realize that most of us want challenge, not a insta max level with the best gear in the game! We want more then PvP/PvE we want non-combat too! We want a decent crafting system that is WORTH leveling!

Who knows maybe I'm just burnt out, or maybe I'm waiting for a game to do it right.

#show
    suppressmacrofailures
    /Rant End
    Sounds like you want Vanguard.

Unfortunately, SoE didn't.
    Noco@Wolfsbane

I don't mind short and difficult, but if it becomes difficult in the sense that it takes four hours to do anything, I simply cannot fit that into my RL. Again, I'm fine with difficulty as long as it's about skill and not available time to spend. So I'm in that boat. I think a lot people are there with me.
    ((A gentleman never speaks out of bracket.))

Sometimes one must cast aside nobility in order to see justice done - Odamir the Lion

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by -Swag- View Post
    Sounds like you want Vanguard.

Unfortunately, SoE didn't.
    Vanguard was awesome.

My problem with MMO's is that there is not enough diversity. I don't mind that there are easy MMORPG's out there, its the fact that they are all easy.

Why can't there be one company that caters to the hardcore players? And actually sticks with the game?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by LaefChaosblade View Post
    I don't mind short and difficult, but if it becomes difficult in the sense that it takes four hours to do anything, I simply cannot fit that into my RL. Again, I'm fine with difficulty as long as it's about skill and not available time to spend. So I'm in that boat. I think a lot people are there with me.
    But not all players are. Just because most players like to hit 50 in a month or two doesn't mean everyone does.

Unfortunately, all games nowadays cater to the 80-90% of players who want quick leveling.

If MMORPG developers did fast food, we would all be eating burgers and not have any KFC.

Banned

#show
    suppressmacrofailures
    /Rant End
    I'm with yah man. I've played 2 weeks and I'm already bored with it all. This is just too easy for this old vet of MMORPG's from EQ to DAOC and SWG and EQ2 and AO.

AO is free I don't know why I'm paying to play this ola. Oh well we live and learn. I never played WOW so I guess I never knew it was a romper room game also since they compare this one to it a lot only this one is "easier". lol

Oh well I got it for $9.99 and played the 7 day free trial before that and well I played it like a day and a half cause they wouldn't let me play past level 15. That's too fast to get to level 15. Shame these things are just getting easier and easier and more spoon feeding like I've never seen before.

I made over 100 plat just selling artifacts and some cheap garbage armor in less than 2 weeks. You know how long it took to make 100 plat in EQ when it was NEW? hahaha You were lucky to make 2 GOLD piece in two hours.

I cannot believe this is what the MMORPG genre has turned into. I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. Even Guild Wars is better than this, at least it's challenging wherever you go and you get 7 heroes npc's you can build and play with when you solo.

Hopefully Guild Wars 2 won't let us down like this one did and stick to what works and is fun and challenging. Thank the gods I found out I won't get charged the 3 extra months I put down for to get a discount. If you canx before the first 30 days are up you don't get charge. YAY for that. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by LaefChaosblade View Post
    Well that's what it boils down to right there. MMOs require no skill anymore. Spend 100 hours in game and you will have anything and everything you want. You get favor/prestige by just showing up in a WF and leeching kills, you get plaques by pugging T2s with people in crap gear that don't know what they're doing.
    Nexiga
    Retired from Rift

Well that's what it boils down to right there. MMOs require no skill anymore. Spend 100 hours in game and you will have anything and everything you want. You get favor/prestige by just showing up in a WF and leeching kills, you get plaques by pugging T2s with people in crap gear that don't know what they're doing.
    Fair enough; however, as a lowbie, I find a lot of difficulty in trying to reach rifts through waves of mobs only to find the rift getting invaded. But not gonna argue that WFs require individual effort to be profitable.

Sometimes one must cast aside nobility in order to see justice done - Odamir the Lion

Quote Originally Posted by Femme Fatal1 View Post
    I'm with yah man. I've played 2 weeks and I'm already bored with it all. This is just too easy for this old vet of MMORPG's from EQ to DAOC and SWG and EQ2 and AO.

AO is free I don't know why I'm paying to play this ola. Oh well we live and learn. I never played WOW so I guess I never knew it was a romper room game also since they compare this one to it a lot only this one is "easier". lol

Oh well I got it for $9.99 and played the 7 day free trial before that and well I played it like a day and a half cause they wouldn't let me play past level 15. That's too fast to get to level 15. Shame these things are just getting easier and easier and more spoon feeding like I've never seen before.

I made over 100 plat just selling artifacts and some cheap garbage armor in less than 2 weeks. You know how long it took to make 100 plat in EQ when it was NEW? hahaha You were lucky to make 2 GOLD piece in two hours.

I cannot believe this is what the MMORPG genre has turned into. I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. Even Guild Wars is better than this, at least it's challenging wherever you go and you get 7 heroes npc's you can build and play with when you solo.

Hopefully Guild Wars 2 won't let us down like this one did and stick to what works and is fun and challenging. Thank the gods I found out I won't get charged the 3 extra months I put down for to get a discount. If you canx before the first 30 days are up you don't get charge. YAY for that. ;)
    You have no idea. I pray every day that GW2 will quench my thirst for a challenge. Its suppose to have dynamic content also, so i hope it'll be like an upgraded Rift with Guild Wars lore and EQs challenge. Hey, I can dream right?
    Nexiga
    Retired from Rift

You have no idea. I pray every day that GW2 will quench my thirst for a challenge. Its suppose to have dynamic content also, so i hope it'll be like an upgraded Rift with Guild Wars lore and EQs challenge. Hey, I can dream right?
    You can dream. I see a lot of people doing it; e.g., "GW2 soon!". I saw a bit about GW2, and I have great doubts that it will be a big hit. I remember a reviewer saying, "Even if you're level cap, you can play with your pals in their story, because you'll be leveled down temporarily in essence." That sounds good in a way, but I'm pretty sure there are far more rollplayers than roleplayers. They might grow weary of their "hard-earned" level not mattering.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaal Blightbringer View Post
    Vanguard was awesome.

My problem with MMO's is that there is not enough diversity. I don't mind that there are easy MMORPG's out there, its the fact that they are all easy.

Why can't there be one company that caters to the hardcore players? And actually sticks with the game?
    CCP does, but unfortunately Eve isn't fantasy.

Eve proved that a HC game can be profitable and have steady growth. Unfortunately these days if you're not designed/touted as a WoW-killer, nobody will finance the game. They're stuck in the mindset that all MMORPG players play WoW and are totally happy playing WoW and wouldn't leave WoW for anything other than WoW 2.

I'm holding out some hope for Copernicus, but that's still years away.
    Noco@Wolfsbane

Quote Originally Posted by Femme Fatal1 View Post
    Same. I'm still playing, but I'm playing compulsively and for lack of better options (though I'm considering giving AoC another shot). I'm not playing because I like the game.
    Noco@Wolfsbane

Soulwalker

Eve proved that a HC game can be profitable and have steady growth. Unfortunately these days if you're not designed/touted as a WoW-killer, nobody will finance the game. They're stuck in the mindset that all MMORPG players play WoW and are totally happy playing WoW and wouldn't leave WoW for anything other than WoW 2.

I agree with what you say. If it doesn't have 1 million subs then its considered a failure?

There should be nitch MMORPG's that work for the HC players. But alas they won't have 1+ million subs so no one is interested in making them.

I know a lot of people who went to WoW straight from EQ, loved it until it went easy-mode, and are now playing it until a new challenge arises. So if a game DID come along that catered to skill rather then time played, i think WoW would lose a large number of subs. Of course WoW wouldn't die cause no game truly dies until it gets shutdown, but i could see some competition between the two. This is purely speculation though. For all i know 10 million of WoWs playerbase could be spoon fed children and 2 million could be vets.
    Nexiga
    Retired from Rift

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast