+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: What doomed MMOs (and now we know for Rift)

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by muylaetrex View Post
    why put restrictions on the client ? that doesn't make sense. i've run in enough mmo's that had 100(s) of players onscreen fighting it out with nothing but a loss of framerate. but as soon as things get hectic in rift, half of the stuff that is hitting on me isn't even displayed on the screen. :/
    Not every PC can handle displaying everything that is going on in a massive fight involving hundreds of players. So you restrict the client to display up to a certain threshold in order to try and preserve framerates. I have a fairly good PC by modern standards and my framerate suffers in massive battles already. I could turn down some setttings to offset that, but not everyone can do that. There are people who are playing on the lowest possible settings already just to get reasonable performance from everyday gameplay. Stress their rig with massive events and it's a no-win situation for them.

Point being, all these people insisting that server capacities should be increased aren't thinking things all the way through. The game was designed and marketed around the rifts and zone events, and if the quality of play suffers every time there's an event because Trion overloaded the servers just to keep people with a narrow view happy, it's not going to go over very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfire View Post
    LoTR: Too much story (even a great story, told very well) without enough game-play = a niche game that many people tried but few stayed with.
    I really really shouldve just stopped reading there but ....

Rift: So much promise and potential ... I Beta tested this game since last year and really love it so its imminent death for the stupidest of reasons is killing me ... but here it is.

BAD SERVER HARDWARE DESIGN KILLED RIFT.
    BAAAAHAAAHAAHAHAH! ... so glad I didnt.

Quote Originally Posted by Licentia View Post
    Not every PC can handle displaying everything that is going on in a massive fight involving hundreds of players. So you restrict the client to display up to a certain threshold in order to try and preserve framerates. I have a fairly good PC by modern standards and my framerate suffers in massive battles already. I could turn down some setttings to offset that, but not everyone can do that. There are people who are playing on the lowest possible settings already just to get reasonable performance from everyday gameplay. Stress their rig with massive events and it's a no-win situation for them.

Point being, all these people insisting that server capacities should be increased aren't thinking things all the way through. The game was designed and marketed around the rifts and zone events, and if the quality of play suffers every time there's an event because Trion overloaded the servers just to keep people with a narrow view happy, it's not going to go over very well.
    i don't mind that my framerate goes low in massive events, that's normal, i do mind that the client only shows a fraction of what there should be on the screen and my graphic card runs at 50 % use and cpu 70 % use at that time.
    “The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.” – Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Murff View Post
    By so few people that even the developers consider them "done".
    I think you are wrong or why would they still add new content and DDO and LOTRO are doing great. So no the games are not dead or even close to it.

The problem is people got it into their heads that a game needs gazillion players to be successful.

The other problem is folk want games that cannot be created yet......we are limited by our technology as to what we can do. This is why MMOs all start to feel the same after awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius View Post
    The horrible 'Trinity system'

Tanks / Healers / DPS

The whole concept is absurdly limiting.

Can you just imagine how much more fun and challenging it would be to just group with any random group of players and jump into content instead of having to wait around sometimes for hours to try and fill the necessary roles forced onto gamers by the trinity system!
    For some reason, that reminds me of my early days in WoW, when I would get together with a group of hunters and warriors (I was a hunter) and we would do Zul'Farrak... this went on for about 6 weekends in a row, until, one day, one of the warriors couldn't make it and we got some sort of squishy instead. That squishy healed us--and for the first time, we actually finished ZF.

But, yeah, until the paradigm of heals/tank/dps, is altered, I don't expect to see much improvement in the way groups are formed. I don't know about Rift, but WoW complicated the problem by making the ratio needed for instances 1:1:3, but the needed ratio for raids could be 3:1:6, or 4:2:14, or some other ratio that didn't mesh well with the instance ratio. Since fewer tanks are needed for raiding than for instancing, there wasn't much incentive for people to level tanks.

It would be nice to see that paradigm changed around. Diablo 1 and 2, as I recall, had no set party makeup, if you played with other people. Why should every fight require a tank? Why can't every player have some sort of self-healing ability?

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius View Post
    The horrible 'Trinity system'
    Which RIFT doesn't exactly use -- this is a four-role system, with support as a distinct role.

It isn't too late for Rift to make the change away from this god awful system and move towards balancing all players so everyone can take on both roles (offense and defense)
    There are four roles, not two. And everyone can take at least three of them.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8