+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: What doomed MMOs (and now we know for Rift)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne View Post
    What doomed MMOs is those wanting to relive 1998 in 2010, and not realizing the world and it's new generation of kids have changed.

Saddest part of MMOs is that WoW and RIFT both resemble more FPS games than MMORPGs. They don't even include biographies for your toons, they just cut out all the RP, it's DPS, DPS and more DPS and explains why the highest pop servers in WoW are all PvP.

By bringing in FPS players and their "bang, bang" mentalities, the genre has become a FPS. No more puzzles; no more adventures in the sticks; heck, even Laura Croft games had you climbing and jumping over things (notice WoW and RIFT doesn't even include climbing animations???). Nope, deathmatch style plays.

Bottom line is: if you want to play a FPS you buy a FPS game. If you want to play a MMORPG...sadly, you can't buy a major title one anymore -- and yet more reasons why this genre is stagnating (population capped in 2008). -_-
    I think you should consider the two biggest mmo titles coming in the future. GuildWars 2 and The Old Republic. Both of them have a few things in common. The first is that they are both wanting to put huge emphasis on the player story. Not the faction story, not the go randomly kill X rabbits, but an actual story. This has caused many of the new generation of mmo players (you know them, they aren't good enough for fps but they don't want a story driven experience). So you end up with hybrid games. Games like RIFT and WoW. They appeal to this group the most because you can go through the whole game and never even know the story. In the games above you WILL know the story because you are a huge focus of it. I actually liked the PvE of GuildWars 1 because of how focused the player seemed to be. In many ways it seemed to all be about you as a player.

Sure graphics, and innovation are huge ones. I don't think it's a coincidence that they are both so anticipated and both so deeply about the players story.

Quote Originally Posted by Riftspike View Post
    I think you should consider the two biggest mmo titles coming in the future. GuildWars 2 and The Old Republic.
    1. GW2 won't have dedicated healers, so it's completely out. It's a role I prefer to play in classic MMOs.
    2. SW:ToR depending on it's end-game access to all, will depend if I play the game.

1. GW2 won't have dedicated healers, so it's completely out. It's a role I prefer to play in classic MMOs.
    2. SW:ToR depending on it's end-game access to all, will depend if I play the game.
    Number one doesn't interest me either.

Number two doesn't interest me at all.

And yet people play every one of those games you listed...and have fun. I'd hardly call them dead.

The only thing dead around here is your FUBAR'd opinion, OP.
    Oh mortal man, is there anything you cannot be made to believe?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfire View Post
    Server cap is 1800-2000 = FACT

IPP. Stillmoor, and Shimmersand have <10 players in each zone on 90% of the servers 90% of the time = FACT.

LFG Queues are > 1hr on most of the servers most of the time = FACT

Warfronts use instance servers while dungeons are separate instances on the main server = FACT.

Sorry I missed where the opinions were?
    Rubbish.

I'm on what is a low-medium populated server, and there's almost always more than 10 people in IPP and Stillmore.

LFG ques are rarely more than an hour except in the morning. And, the reason ques are long where they are, is people are playing with their regular groups. You act like nobody's doing anything.

Bottom line is: if you want to play a FPS you buy a FPS game. If you want to play a MMORPG...sadly, you can't buy a major title one anymore -- and yet more reasons why this genre is stagnating (population capped in 2008). -_-
    Sorry to break it to you, but Rift AND WoW are both "Major Titles".... as are plenty of others.

This genre is stagnating? There's 9 million people playing WoW and a million playing Rift. Six years ago MMO's that had 250k players were the big dogs... you people need to put the pipe down. :P

Z
    Last edited by Znick; 06-04-2011 at 04:49 PM.

The Order of the Silver Hand is recruiting! Dayblind - Guardian - www.TheOrderoftheSilverHand.com

I understand you are not interested in them then. That doesn't change what I said. The polls out there all show the most interest is in those two. They even beat out diablo 3. Hell check out E3 if you want a good example.

My point wasn't about people liking their class system etc. It was that they are hugely focused on the players story. Something almost no MMO today is doing. I think (and this is opinion) that it's a huge part of their popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by Whytwulf View Post
    And yet people play every one of those games you listed...and have fun. I'd hardly call them dead.

The only thing dead around here is your FUBAR'd opinion, OP.
    Actually some of those games are truly dead like Horizons and maybe Vanguard.

All of them other than WoW and Rift (and maybe DDO since it went FTP) are at less than 20% of their peak populations

The point is - RIFT can be saved but the developers have to fix their critical hardware mistake soon before everyone moves on.... because the one universal truth of MMOs over the last 15 years has been ... once people leave its extraordinarily hard to get them back.

And I also have very little interest in GW2 or the new SW.....EQ-next on the other hand is potentially very interesting depending on how much SoE learned by getting trounced by Blizzard last time around.

hmmm. Rift seems like its doing just fine to me.
    You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    -Desiderata

Quote Originally Posted by Fireforge View Post
    I'm kind of with Kevyne (as long as he doesn't link that glare emote from EQ2 again) about moving on. I loved EQ1 tremendously but I have zero desire to play that game again. I was there already. I want fresh and exciting. There is enough here to keep me busy for the duration of my 6 month sub. I am sure I will resub ($60 is mega-cheap) to Rift when that is up. Open world PVE is a step in the right direction.
    Truth is I don't want to return to EQ2 itself (it's a v-e-r-y niched game and the players are set in 1/2/3 EQ2 style), but I want the best elements of EQ2 in a MMO (and yes the glare emote, too! lol).

Trion is onto something, and I hope they don't water down RIFT as yet another themepark MMO, with cookie cutter formulas that kill the game after 6 months (Why leave WoW if you can already dungeon/raid with your maxed out main???). Trion NEEDS to perfect open world PvE as an alternative to the stale dungeon/raid formula in current big name MMOs.

I always played in PuRs because I love the chance of meeting and playing with as many as I can. AV BGs in WoW were my favorite past time because 40 players would all be there playing together. RIFT has that feel in rift chasing, and the larger the raid the more epic it feels...and fun...and without the trade spam for hours to even form a raid. It's ALL about access, having fun, and meeting the most people every day. That's a MMO to me. Not sitting in cities queuing for the nth dungeon; and wondering if your server can even get 10 players to raid (Cata killed PuRs).

I'm looking at picking up Vanguard as my second game.

Quote Originally Posted by Znick View Post
    Rubbish.

I'm on what is a low-medium populated server, and there's almost always more than 10 people in IPP and Stillmore.

LFG ques are rarely more than an hour except in the morning. And, the reason ques are long where they are, is people are playing with their regular groups. You act like nobody's doing anything.

Sorry to break it to you, but Rift AND WoW are both "Major Titles".... as are plenty of others.

This genre is stagnating? There's 9 million people playing WoW and a million playing Rift. Six years ago MMO's that had 250k players were the big dogs... you people need to put the pipe down. :P

Z
    bah you are lucky. lfg ques on my server are an hour at minimum and that's when you're using the level chat to help to fill the group as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Znick View Post
    Now compare it to how many play even Farmville.

Now you see the problem...the genre IS stagnating from content to people who even play the genre. Most of us are playing more than one MMO, further diluding the actual player numbers playing these MMOs.

Telaran

All of them other than WoW and Rift (and maybe DDO since it went FTP) are at less than 20% of their peak populations

The point is - RIFT can be saved but the developers have to fix their critical hardware mistake soon before everyone moves on.... because the one universal truth of MMOs over the last 15 years has been ... once people leave its extraordinarily hard to get them back.

And I also have very little interest in GW2 or the new SW.....EQ-next on the other hand is potentially very interesting depending on how much SoE learned by getting trounced by Blizzard last time around.
    EQ Next will probably too much micro transactions for my taste (wouldnt be surprised if the model would be F2P like eq2x with loads of micro transactions). I'm hoping the underdog with the dreamteam line up codnamed "Project Copernicus" will deliver something outstanding, Curt's said that they will start releasing information about it during the second half of this year.

Plane Touched

DoAC: Not enough non-RvR, too much repetitive, recycled content ... at one point >20% of mobs in the game used the "spraggon" model
    LMAO. Not even close to the reason.

WoW : Oversimplification of the game to appease short-term casual players + editing of content for all players to appease asian governments with larger markets is rapidly driving every serious MMO player out of the game.

Its the serious players that tend to stay with games for years, the casuals tend to sub a couple months and move on.

WoW won't "die" for quite some time but the NA/EU servers are dropping fast and the rate of this loss will hasten in the coming years until WoW is a 90% Asian MMO by 2013 (It's already over 60% Asian so this shouldn't be a huge shocker).
    News flash: Asian players are much more 'serious' MMOs than you will ever be.

Try letting your kids die in your house because you spent all day gaming at an internet cafe with your wife. Try playing so much and for so long that your government has to impose strict LAWS on how long an individual can play a MMO per day. By law.

You're not as serious a gamer as you think.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast