+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 152

Thread: Its not Rift.....Its the whole genre.

  1. #1
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    96

    Default Its not Rift.....Its the whole genre.

    We complain about the same thing in every MMO we play. I refuse to list here what the complaints are always about, but just read through these forums, you'll see a common thread.

    The fact of the matter is, its not a problem with Rift so much as its a problem with MMO's in general.

    It seems, and understandable so, that the developers are afraid to try something new with any MMO they are developing. They all seem comfortable just re-hashing other MMO's with different clothes on.

    We need a paradigm-shift in MMO development and creativity.
    Some one some day is going to have enough backing and job security to chance something new and fresh in our beloved MMO genre.
    Until then, you will be playing the same game over and over again with every MMO that comes out.
    No wonder we're bored in a month. We've done the same thing for years, over and over again. Any sane person would be bored sick after doing that.

    I hope that some developer somewhere is busy breaking the mold as I type this. Willing to take a risk and come up with something new and fresh.

    A guy can hope.
    Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown.

  2. #2
    RIFT Guide Writer Flaymar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    804

    Default

    There are limitations tho mate, and like anything no one is going to put up the kind of money to invest in a new polished mmo if its a huge gamble on untested content.

    Everquest started the mmo trend, and every mmo that has tried to be different or not conform to the general outline provided by EQ has gone to the wayside. Thets be frank, Rift is so successful because it follows the template outlined by Everquest and then WOW. However Rift is so much more dynamic than all other MMOS in this template so i think we need to be loyal and have faith =)

  3. #3
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeLuge View Post
    We complain about the same thing in every MMO we play. I refuse to list here what the complaints are always about, but just read through these forums, you'll see a common thread.

    The fact of the matter is, its not a problem with Rift so much as its a problem with MMO's in general.

    It seems, and understandable so, that the developers are afraid to try something new with any MMO they are developing. They all seem comfortable just re-hashing other MMO's with different clothes on.

    We need a paradigm-shift in MMO development and creativity.
    Some one some day is going to have enough backing and job security to chance something new and fresh in our beloved MMO genre.
    Until then, you will be playing the same game over and over again with every MMO that comes out.
    No wonder we're bored in a month. We've done the same thing for years, over and over again. Any sane person would be bored sick after doing that.

    I hope that some developer somewhere is busy breaking the mold as I type this. Willing to take a risk and come up with something new and fresh.

    A guy can hope.
    People like to complain but yet they still play. There are many of us that are quite satisfied with the game and excited about what will be added in future expanisons.

  4. #4
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flaymar View Post
    There are limitations tho mate, and like anything no one is going to put up the kind of money to invest in a new polished mmo if its a huge gamble on untested content.

    Everquest started the mmo trend, and every mmo that has tried to be different or not conform to the general outline provided by EQ has gone to the wayside. Thets be frank, Rift is so successful because it follows the template outlined by Everquest and then WOW. However Rift is so much more dynamic than all other MMOS in this template so i think we need to be loyal and have faith =)
    Eve Online has been successful for years based on how it's mechanics are so unlike any other MMO out there. This is despite the fact that the UI and game servers are a buggy, laggy mess and the developers have been embroiled in multiple scandals over the years. Imagine if a competent developer were to make an MMO that far off the established gameplay norms.

    I agree Rift has a great idea in it's dynamic world and rift/invasion events. Here's hoping that doesn't fall to the wayside by focusing too much on the gear, raid, gear, raid, gear, raid cycle. It's really what could make them stand out from all the other MMO's out there.

  5. #5
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,865

    Default

    well with standard mmo people will play 1-3 Months. The problem is: inovative mmos people wont even buy first hand ...

  6. #6
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    258

    Default Yeah...

    Well to be fair Rift may be in the same "skin" as other games but they do have some of the dynamics going for it, but I understand what you are saying.

    A development company needs to branch out and take a chance like Eve Online did. Sure that game is a grindfest and not for the feint of heart, but it is so different than the current MMOG mold. I'm also excited for SWTOR as an MMO, sure I know its going to be like most of today's MMO in a Star Wars setting, but I think what Bioware is doing with its focus on story and companions and small party instances they are taking those risky steps in the right direction. I wish other companies would do stuff like that too... and I think Trion is with its dynamic events experimentation they've got with rifts, invasions, and slivers.

  7. #7
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flaymar View Post
    There are limitations tho mate, and like anything no one is going to put up the kind of money to invest in a new polished mmo if its a huge gamble on untested content.

    Everquest started the mmo trend, and every mmo that has tried to be different or not conform to the general outline provided by EQ has gone to the wayside. Thets be frank, Rift is so successful because it follows the template outlined by Everquest and then WOW. However Rift is so much more dynamic than all other MMOS in this template so i think we need to be loyal and have faith =)

    This is the thinking that gets the same game over and over, get out of the box mate. If rift is so succesfull how come its half price after 3 months...... its dead get over it.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flaymar View Post
    There are limitations tho mate, and like anything no one is going to put up the kind of money to invest in a new polished mmo if its a huge gamble on untested content.

    Everquest started the mmo trend, and every mmo that has tried to be different or not conform to the general outline provided by EQ has gone to the wayside. Thets be frank, Rift is so successful because it follows the template outlined by Everquest and then WOW. However Rift is so much more dynamic than all other MMOS in this template so i think we need to be loyal and have faith =)
    Sorry sir, but, RIFT has no semblance of Everquest to me at all. You didn't level to 50 in a week in Everquest. You didn't level to 10 in a week in Everquest when it was new. Everquest also didn't lead you by the hand from point A to point B when it was new. You EXPLORED the world you didn't just follow the yellow brick road like RIFT. You made friends and grouped A LOT in Everquest. Players hardly group at all up to 50 in RIFT. The only groupings I've seen are when INVASIONS that are too big for one player to take on appear. It amazes me how you'll hardly see anyone and you let an invasion start and they come out of the woodwork from their SOLO play.

    So, no, maybe RIFT got something from WOW but it's hardly anything like Everquest was in the beginning. I played Everquest for 5 years so I know and RIFT is nothing like it. RIFT is nothing more than a romper room casual carebear type of game. It's for the Game Genie age of game players who want everything now and instant gratification. I will not resubscribe unless things change rapidly. Diablo 2 has more content and challenge than RIFT does, especially the challenge.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shuey View Post
    This is the thinking that gets the same game over and over, get out of the box mate. If rift is so succesfull how come its half price after 3 months...... its dead get over it.
    It's worse than half price. The reason I'm playing a subscription is because it was already in the bargain bin for $9.99 at Software etc. where I live.

  10. #10
    Ascendant Fireforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Femme Fatal1 View Post
    It's worse than half price. The reason I'm playing a subscription is because it was already in the bargain bin for $9.99 at Software etc. where I live.
    Sounds to me like you got a great deal.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fireforge View Post
    Sounds to me like you got a great deal.
    Most all bargain bin sales are great deals. Surely you've seen Steam's and Gamersgates and Impulse's and Direct 2 Drive's and GoGs'?

  12. #12
    Ascendant Fireforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Femme Fatal1 View Post
    Most all bargain bin sales are great deals. Surely you've seen Steam's and Gamersgates and Impulse's and Direct 2 Drive's and GoGs'?
    Yup. Lowering the price is a good strategy for a subscription based game. Especially after they have hit their target sales of the initial box.

  13. #13
    Rift Chaser Protokill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeLuge View Post
    We complain about the same thing in every MMO we play. I refuse to list here what the complaints are always about, but just read through these forums, you'll see a common thread.

    The fact of the matter is, its not a problem with Rift so much as its a problem with MMO's in general.

    It seems, and understandable so, that the developers are afraid to try something new with any MMO they are developing. They all seem comfortable just re-hashing other MMO's with different clothes on.

    We need a paradigm-shift in MMO development and creativity.
    Some one some day is going to have enough backing and job security to chance something new and fresh in our beloved MMO genre.
    Until then, you will be playing the same game over and over again with every MMO that comes out.
    No wonder we're bored in a month. We've done the same thing for years, over and over again. Any sane person would be bored sick after doing that.

    I hope that some developer somewhere is busy breaking the mold as I type this. Willing to take a risk and come up with something new and fresh.

    A guy can hope.
    Play Age of Conan if you're sick of the same old MMO. Its the only one I can think of besides EVE online that has unique gameplay that has depth, strategy, and can truly be called "original".

  14. #14
    Soulwalker ToXic1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    10

    Default

    I agree with the OP here. The gaming community as a whole just SUCK. No one likes to work together, if someone ask a question anyone you are ridiculed to death for asking. I wish we could move back to EQ days when people weren't such A-holes! I been playing games online since early days of MUDs. The change in the MMO community really started a little after WoW came out and it went down hill fast from there.

    People complain that nothing ever changes in a game or a company stole this idea from another. I LOVE when people say that, they have no clue what they are even talking about. Each company takes something from another one and tries to improve on it. But all you get is whiney little bastards crying about it. And heaven forbid if a company tries to do something different. We as gamers need to open our minds and let the new things come with open arms!

    I am willing to try new things and give feedback to help my gaming experience better.
    Alt -O- Holic Extraordinaire

  15. #15
    Shadowlander Chrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    43

    Default

    While consumer electronics have grown by leaps and bounds the games themselves haven't changed. They aren't going to change...they can't. The basic foundation of a game involves three things: you get gear to be more powerful, the challenge grows more difficult to meet the gear, goto 10. Maybe in the early life of video games it was little different like Mario jumping over pools of lava and in later levels that became pools of lava with a fireball shooting up but we don't play those kinds of games anymore. Oh yeah, think back, Mario got upgrades from tiny guy to big guy to fireball-slinging guy so even those games had upgrades.

    No video game can change from that foundation because there simply isn't another formula for success...FPS games like Halo, GoW, CoD, all involve you getting better weapons and gear to destroy increasingly difficult targets (opfor). RPG games like EQ, WoW, and Rift involve you getting better gear to destroy increasingly more difficult targets.

    Here's a question, if you were given the chance to have a meeting with a game designer/publisher to push a game and they would back you 100% what would you say? What would be your genre-altering vision? Let's see if it can be done without borrowing from RPG or FPS stuff (it's already been done and is the complaint).
    Carl - Reaver/Paladin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts