+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Final Fantasy XIV [Oh yea, I went there]

Default Final Fantasy XIV [Oh yea, I went there]

So I notcied Final Fantasy XIV is $14.99 at Gamestop and the clerk girl (who was a total babe) said its free to play now as well.

So guys, lets hear it. Tell me about this game. Please no flaming stupid posts, I honestly want to know why it was good or bad. Looking for opiniongs from open minded people not die-hard Western MMo fans or whatever
    j

Champion of Telara Silverangel69's Avatar

It was free to play for months after it launched, because it had so many issues and so many people quit that they just let people play for free, as a way of SE apologizing. The producer was replaced and a bunch of other people were brought in from...FFXI I think?

Why it was bad...no real quests except the main quest line (the leves were basic daily grind tasks more than quests), really, really horrible, laggy UI made for console more than PC, items keep breaking over and over and you need other people to repair them, or the repairs cost a lot. No AH, you have to manually browse player stores. No factions, no rep to gain, no real dungeons. Huge lag in cities. Sometimes you could wait for minutes and NPC's would not show up.

If you've got a really good gaming computer, it might be worth $15 just to look at it an play around, but I thought last fall that it would never be fixable, and it seems to be becoming just a legend of failure at this point, in blog posts I've seen.
    Last edited by Silverangel69; 06-02-2011 at 08:16 PM.

ouch! good thing I didnt get this.really sad,square-enix has really gone downhill lately

I played the beta. For some freakin reason (I guess I was gullible), I thought that they were just letting us test what they needed testing. The game was fun, for the shell of a game I thought it was, so I bought it.

Sadly that shell of a game was actually the whole game.

It's a grind. You go out and you kill the same mob(s) 1000 times and you gain a level. You go back to town and repair your gear (because they broke), clean the trash out of your bag and go back out and kill 1100 mobs to gain another level.
    By the way, you'll be fighting those same monsters all the way to max level. They'll have different names, perhaps vary in size and color, but they're basically the same.

Eventually you had to make several trips back to town per level because your weapon would break before you dinged. You could repair the weapon yourself, if you grinded out the proper professions (mind numbingly boring) AND brought the materials or you could bring several replacements.
    Needless to say durability loss was super annoying and the only money sink in the game.

The economy... well there wasn't one. You would sell items either from your character or from your personal NPC. People would have to select your character (or NPC) examine it, click to check the wares and then scroll through everything you were selling to see if perhaps there was something that they wanted. There was no way to determine who had what or how much they were selling it for, so when you wanted to buy something (like a weapon), you had the chore of searching through 100's if not 1000's of "characters" in a very time consuming fashion. There were times where I spent over 3 hours looking for items and leaving without finding anything.

The game had no personality. The world was very bland and terrain was copy and pasted all over the place. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA7GGnyNwEs is a good example.
    It's like this all over and in every zone.

The UI was horrible. I played the game on PC with a PS2 controller (which it was designed for) and it was still really bad. Super laggy as well. It would take something like 30 minutes to vendor the trash in your bags.... last I heard they reduced the lag, but reduced doesn't mean that they got rid of it.

Needless to say this game is crap. They created the whole game with being anti RMT in mind (because SE allowed them to take over FFXI for years and didn't want to have the same problem this time around), which if anyone knows anything about RMTs it's that they perform the most mindless repetitive tasks which no normal person who is wanting to have fun would ever do. So if the game is that unfriendly to them, you can only imagine how unfriendly it is to a person who is just wanting to play a freaking game.

It's one redeemable trait is that it looks pretty. Armor design is very nice and I thought character models were pretty cool.

Btw it's only free to play until SE finds it worthy of charging people for it... That alone should say enough.

edit: I cant believe I wasted that much time writing about such a horrible game.
    I loved FFXI and that came out like 10 years ago. I cant believe SE with all of the progress they made in their own game (let alone "innovations" in MMORPGs in general) could take several steps backwards with FF14.
    Last edited by Bobjohnson; 06-03-2011 at 12:23 AM.

Somehow I played it for over seven months. I don't know how or why. I guess I believed eventually it would get better but the further along I went and the closer to cap I got, I realized it wouldn't.

There's only three zones, and they are bland as hell. There's no settlements other than a couple of small collections of NPCs and buildings WAY off the beaten path, which served absolutely no purpose so you would never see anyone there and had no reason to go there. The level 5 areas in the zones looked the same as the level 45 areas minus the strength of the monsters.

So no incentive to explore there. And even if you did, you'd quickly find all you would gain from it would be getting oneshot from the mobs as you unwittingly cross from a level 10 area to a level 40 area. And for what? Nothing. There's nothing to find or gain, anywhere. No quests, no treasures, no odd little areas to explore.

So yeah, furthering the discussion on that, you would literally have a high level area bumped up next to a low level area, but since all the mobs share pretty much the same appearance (some exactly the same), that low level bird you thought you could take out ended up being a level 45 noobcrusher. On top of that, they eventually went out of their way to stop people from exploring and put craptons of aggressive enemies in the area bottlenecks and on top of THAT, gave them ranged attacks. Even if got past them in melee range, you'd get hit in the *** from half an area away and die.

Enemies are recolors and half-assed renames. Sometimes not even recolors, like goats. All the goats look the same, whether they're level 20 or level 50. You could argue that they do change sizes but I wouldn't dignify you with a response.

Some armor is cool until you realize what you get at 15 looks almost exactly the same as what you get at 50. Same goes for weapons. The big bad lance you get from crafting materials from bosses at 50 looks the same as a lance you get in your 30s, and a lance from rank 45ish ends up being better anyway.

And what is there to use those big bad end-game weapons and gear on? Nothing. Except killing more open-world bosses (of which there are 3 and are farmed by usually one specific guild) for more crafting material for more useless weapons and gear. Don't forget you have to be near rank 50 in a craft to craft the crap you get anyway. Plus help from other high level crafts.

Crafting was fun by itself though, I did enjoy that. And on the surface, the graphics are great. It's just a pretty face though, there's nothing behind it.

The community is also atrocious. No chat other than guild recruit spam in the main cities (if they even have people in them at all). No one will answer you in /say, ever. They will just tell you to join an LS. Why? Why can't you just talk in /say? Is there some rule that says you have to have an LS to talk? Is there a 'no talking' rule? I managed to find a nice LS but it took quite a bit of doing as most of them are empty or full of stuck-up attention ***** people that would sooner forget your name than anything.

There is no zone-wide chat.

I didn't really ever quit, I just eventually stopped playing once everything slowly sank in. The story is also awful, a total disappointment of a Final Fantasy. Those are the only real quests, the other ones are basically the same 'dailies', but on a 36-hour timer and you can only have 8 and finish them in about an hour. What do you do for the other 35 hours?

Craft, I guess. But why?

I could go on but that's enough from me. Basically its a waste of money, time and effort and you should stay well enough away. I also never played a Western MMO until Rift, all I played was Asian MMOs, some not even translated. So if you want a credibility card from me, there it is.
    Last edited by Akhet; 06-03-2011 at 07:16 AM.

Soulwalker

Default No jumping

There is no jumping mechanic either. So for everyone who likes to run around and hop like a bunny, you can't.

I was done with the game before I hit 20. Crafting was infuriating, leveling was boring, questing was a grind...

They pretty much INTENTIONALLY made the game as unuserfriendly as possible.
    Welcome to Rift 1.2
    No Challenge. No Reward. No Point.

Sez

Game stores hire "babes" cuz nerds will do anything they say, including buying bad games.
    Last edited by Sez; 06-03-2011 at 09:17 AM. Reason: grammar
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    Game stores hire "babes" cuz nerds will do anything they say, including buying bad games.
    but seldom do they hire smart ones.I think that there should be a rule that if your going to work in a store selling stuff you need to know what you are talking about or have someone teach you what you need to know.
    side note- i used to work at gamestop and the stories i could tell you-some funny,some not so funny and I saw a mixed bag of people who were gamers and people who werent working there.

I buy most games that come out 'cos I like collecting things... so I bought a CE of FFXIV. Interesting franchise, colourful story. Didn't play XI but it seemed to do ok, went for a few years - so XIV can't be any worse. (So I thought)

CE box is still sitting unopened based on final beta reviews before release.

I never went there. Won't be going there. Nor going anywhere in the future that's 'there' created by this software company unless they undergo some remarkable reinvention. They currently don't have what it takes to deliver the goods.
    My shiny carapace is cracked. I should have never left the sea. Krugon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    I chose to buy the game, picked it up and brought it to the register. Was buying it regardless of what this
    "babe" who happened to be a complete nerd said. That applies with G4tv more then Gamestop. She wasnt Pamela Anderson hot but she was cute thats it.

But mk
    j

That was hands down the worst game I've ever played. The graphics were the best I've ever seen & that's about all I can say that was good about it...maybe character creation?

I quit BEFORE my time ran out. I won't go too much into the specifics b/c just about every part of the game was terrible. If you google reviews for this game, you will get a good idea of what went wrong. It may have changed some since then, but that scar is much too fresh for me ever to give them another shot.

If you already bought it, then our opinions don't really matter all that much, you've already committed to it unless you take it back without opening it.

Sez

Quote Originally Posted by cluongo View Post
    I chose to buy the game, picked it up and brought it to the register. Was buying it regardless of what this
    "babe" who happened to be a complete nerd said. That applies with G4tv more then Gamestop. She wasnt Pamela Anderson hot but she was cute thats it.

But mk
    If your thread could blush, I think it would right now...

Whatever you say Rico Suave
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

+ Reply to Thread