+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Casual vs. Hardcore?

Rift Disciple

Default Casual vs. Hardcore?

I play games often as I can. I like playing games. I decided to get ya'lls observation on this current trend. I am quite happy with the current state of MMOs being casual friendly. As I see it these are games and should be games. If I have to think like a do at work to play a game then I will go back to work at least I will make more money. No offense to the Hardcores but its a game and lets keep it that way. In no way am I saying make it simple. I like some stuff to be hard but the majority should be casual.

Maybe its cause I am out in the world married and with a job but I like games to be relaxing. Anyone else see it this way or am I wrong?

Plane Touched

Over/under on the number of times "entitlement" and "elitest" is used before the thread lock is 100. Place your bets...

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Razaden View Post
    I play games often as I can. I like playing games. I decided to get ya'lls observation on this current trend. I am quite happy with the current state of MMOs being casual friendly. As I see it these are games and should be games. If I have to think like a do at work to play a game then I will go back to work at least I will make more money. No offense to the Hardcores but its a game and lets keep it that way. In no way am I saying make it simple. I like some stuff to be hard but the majority should be casual.

Maybe its cause I am out in the world married and with a job but I like games to be relaxing
    . Anyone else see it this way or am I wrong?
    I find that hardcore is really something that cannot be maintained by the working class. I enjoy rift, starting to get a little jaded because we don't have enough people to pull off a 10 man and alts can never find a dungeon in the LFG thing.

Hopefully the server merges will help but I'm also concerned with servers getting hammered with transfers and I'm trading waiting in LFG for waiting in server queue.

I have to agree with liking the casual trend. The reason MMORPGs are so successful these days is because they've evolved into games that the working class can play and enjoy without having to quit their full time job.

This also helps hardcore players, because it provides more money to the game developer so they can create more content at a faster rate. This helps to keep the hardcore players from running out of content as fast as they would have without the casual player base and that extra development cash.

It's partly this evolutionary direction that put WoW (and MMORPGs in general) into more homes than ever before and allows new games like RIFT to get more investment dollars in the begging when the game is just starting to be designed.
    Last edited by Buho; 06-02-2011 at 10:36 AM.

Majuk & Maju Bhi'bri

Hardcore... in rift? Really, how does that even work?

Soulwalker

There is no right or wrong here, just a matter of opinion. Be happy your married to some hot chick, rather than spending 24/7 playing a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulstitch View Post
    Hardcore... in rift? Really, how does that even work?
    Depends on your definition of hardcore? For some, it means having the equivalent of a full-time job in time played per week. I guess it could just as easily mean striving for and achieving as many server-firsts as possible? It could also be some parsimonious blend of the two.

What do you think hardcore is?

Majuk & Maju Bhi'bri

Casual is just a sugar coated way of saying somebody is bad.

"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion."
    Basileus of The Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by Horrigan View Post
    Casual is just a sugar coated way of saying somebody is bad.
    "Bad" meaning...?

Majuk & Maju Bhi'bri

Ascendant

Maybe its cause I am out in the world married and with a job but I like games to be relaxing. Anyone else see it this way or am I wrong?
    You are conflating Hardcore/Skilled and Casual/Bad.

This game is not hardcore. Nothing requires EQ1-level time to accomplish. Some things do require you to not suck though.
    Pessimistick - <Esti Efiu> - Mage - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Esti Efiu> - Rogue - Guardian - Sunrest
    Uchimata - <Esti Efiu> - Cleric - Guardian - Sunrest
    Noppi - <Esti Efiu> - Warrior - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Spike Flail> - Ner'zhul

Rift Disciple

Seems I am not the only one thinking this. I get tired of certain things in these games. One of those being you gotta have the FOTM spec or you suck. Well I guess I suck cause I play whatever spec I want. I will certainly not play the crapest one because then how could you? I remember when games were games and not a full time job and I wasn't called noob because I was trying a new spec out or forgot to change gear.

I ran expert CC and first thing the tank did was link my few pieces of PvP gear and assume I was an idiot. Well I switched my gear and he had no comments after that.

Soulwalker

I find min/maxing my character to be relaxing and fun. I enjoy(ed) talking with other healers from my old WoW servers about various builds, point allocations, and spell rankings (back when you could actually do that). It's a game. That's what I enjoy doing. I also don't know what you define as "hard", because "hard" to me is something like pre-nerf M'uru, which was a fairly difficult fight.

I may not be married, but I have fun and enjoy doing this 'hardcore' stuff (which doesn't even compare to my FFXI or EQ days), is it therefore fair to limit us as well?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by PessimiStick View Post
    You are conflating Hardcore/Skilled and Casual/Bad.

This game is not hardcore. Nothing requires EQ1-level time to accomplish. Some things do require you to not suck though.
    I hate to say it but what you just said it was alot of the hardcore community thinks. Just cause I am casual means I am bad

Ascendant

I hate to say it but what you just said it was alot of the hardcore community thinks. Just cause I am casual means I am bad
    Most casuals are, in fact, bad. A majority of hardcores are as well.

Your problem is that you are asking for things to be "easy" because you're casual.

You should be asking for things to be easy because you suck, not because you're casual.
    Last edited by PessimiStick; 06-02-2011 at 10:50 AM.
    Pessimistick - <Esti Efiu> - Mage - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Esti Efiu> - Rogue - Guardian - Sunrest
    Uchimata - <Esti Efiu> - Cleric - Guardian - Sunrest
    Noppi - <Esti Efiu> - Warrior - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Spike Flail> - Ner'zhul

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Kaialynn View Post
    I find min/maxing my character to be relaxing and fun. I enjoy(ed) talking with other healers from my old WoW servers about various builds, point allocations, and spell rankings (back when you could actually do that). It's a game. That's what I enjoy doing. I also don't know what you define as "hard", because "hard" to me is something like pre-nerf M'uru, which was a fairly difficult fight.

I may not be married, but I have fun and enjoy doing this 'hardcore' stuff (which doesn't even compare to my FFXI or EQ days), is it therefore fair to limit us as well?
    I see no reason to limit you but then again I may not be refering to you. I am refering to the people who want everything hard and your noob if ya got the wrong spec or maybe you are in the zone dpsing and missed the aoe on you. I don't even use addons cause I can do without. I had addons in WoW and some were useful but others I don't really care about. It just seems alot of community has become hardcore elitest and frankly it gets old.

Possibly I got the title wrong and maybe should have headed more toward elitest vs casual.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast