+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What do you Brits and Aussies think of us Americans?

Champion of Telara Silverangel69's Avatar

Default What do you Brits and Aussies think of us Americans?

I just wondered what you thought of us. I heard that the typical stereotype is that you guys think we're brash and rude.

What do you think of American English? Is it sensible to leave out letters and make up new words all the time, or is it childish and an annoying headache for stodgy Oxford dictionary people?

What do you think about our sports in comparison to yours? (Rugby vs American football etc.)

What do you think of American women (or men, whatever)?

What do you think of American music (country, jazz, rap, whatever)?

Have you ever been to America, and how did you find it? Would you want to live here?

Well im an American but i think that major part of MMO population from West south central states is just rude and classless.. if you will...

I enjoy playing with Canadians and Aussies tbh... they are way more down to earth.
    Last edited by Blays; 06-02-2011 at 07:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torvax View Post
    Im an R8 Cleric.
    1 Rogue can annihilate 2 healing clerics together-Cross healing doesnt work against a rog. .

For me, I think people are people no matter where they live. You are going to find all kinds in the all the nooks and crannys of the world. Generalizations about certain groups of people based solely on where they live is going to warrant errors and misjudgments.
    Have you ever wanted to?

I don't think these sort of threads can ever end well.
    My shiny carapace is cracked. I should have never left the sea. Krugon.

I would say that most people I have met from the United States are the most kind and selfless people on the planet. That being said, most of the people I have met were well traveled and open minded.

I am Australian so I would feel biased if I commented on my own people, mainly because I have had much more exposure.

I have also traveled quite a lot in my young 30 odd years on this planet, and to be honest, it doesn't matter where you are from. Most regular people are the same in every country. They care about family and friends and are generally helpful to outsiders but suspicious at the same time. The more remote or reclusive the people are, the more dangerous and unfriendly they become. The human race needs to be social and learn from other cultures, without that they will digress into another state of barbarism.

What about us Canadian's, eh?

You don't want to know how much we make fun of you guys... You really don't.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure."
    -Homer J. Simpson

Soulwalker

Default No qualms

Mate, my philosophy is, at least you are playing and there when I am on line. Americans seem to like us Kiwi's so we like you right back. If you want to start messing with the Queens English, it doesn't make me all snooty. But I don't want to start talking about Aussies, we have always been friendly rivals.

I havent had the chance to travel the way I would like to but the times coming.I have had the pleasure and honor of being able to meet people from all over the world.and i have found that theres good and bad everywhere,but I like to think the good outweighs the bad.

Doesn't matter where you are from, your religion, persuasion, colour or wealth. If you are pleasant and well mannered and like the occasional joke and can take a bit of a ribbing if you mess up, take constructive critisism, give advice when I mess up by the same token if I haven't been somewhere before and are generally ok to be around then I don't care if you are from another galaxy to be honest.

My gran always used to say, be nice to each other, tell the truth and their is no need for swearing in adult conversations, and to be honest, I heard less swearing on the battlefield than I do in some areas of most MMOs.

So, as long as you are ok with me and others then I am ok wherever you are from.
    Last edited by Kelvenaru; 06-03-2011 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvenaru View Post
    Doesn't matter where you are from, your religion, persuasion, colour or wealth. If you are pleasant and well mannered and like the occasional joke and can take a bit of a ribbing if you mess up, take constructive critisism, give advice when I mess up by the same token if I haven't been somewhere before and are generally ok to be around then I don't care if you are from another galaxy to be honest.

My gran always used to say, be nice to each other, tell the truth and their is no need for swearing in adult conversations, and to be honest, I heard less swearing on the battlefield than I do in some areas of most MMOs.

So, as long as you are ok with me and others then I am ok wherever you are from.

Well said and exactly the point I was trying to make

Ps I am well traveled and have met great people from all walks of life, nationality ect
    Have you ever wanted to?

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Silverangel69 View Post
    I just wondered what you thought of us. I heard that the typical stereotype is that you guys think we're brash and rude.

What do you think of American English? Is it sensible to leave out letters and make up new words all the time, or is it childish and an annoying headache for stodgy Oxford dictionary people?
    This is one of my pret peeves. People who abbreviate words that don't need it, refuse to use decent grammer etc. As for words like Colour and Honour you can spell those however you like.

What do you think about our sports in comparison to yours? (Rugby vs American football etc.)
    Great comparison seeing as they are similar games. Play American Football without the pads. Best of both worlds and almost certainly worth watching.

Well I'm British and as a country we have a shortage of really attractive women but that may be because we have a much smaller talent pool to pull from. Also not forgetting that, apparently, 40% of americans are overweight. At least we brits cant make that claim.

I dont listen to much music. Well thats not true, I listen to music all the time, I just dont listen to songs. Way to many bands these days who all sound the same to me.

Have you ever been to America, and how did you find it? Would you want to live here?
    Havent ever been but would consider moving if I ever got sick of our weather. Plus Love Actually paints a really nice picture of America (Nah not really. I'll stick with Great Britain. The clues in the name.)
    Last edited by Korhil; 06-03-2011 at 12:59 AM.

I can speak from my own point of view on this as i moved out to Oklahoma from the UK about 6 months ago.

The people i've met their are some of the most friendly i've met anywhere in the world, they will physically go out of there way to make you feel at home.

As for the language, not really much difference anymore as most things are abreviated in UK to these days and hardly anyone writes anymore so thats no problem.
    Something that does make me giggle is that in a Restaurant i goto (Freddies steak house in Sapulpa) i'm often asked to translate what other guests are saying. OK those from Norway have a strange accent to apply to English but not understanding people from New York or Montana? just makes me giggle.

Women are women are women - enough said. (oh and there are ALOT of overweight peeps over in UK too, 40% or over i'd say is easy)

Loving the Country music now i'm actually listening to it. In the UK we don't get Country and what they shove in jukeboxes is stuff like Dolly parton and other 60's Country. New country is sweet. Jason Aldean - my kinda party
    Chase Adkins - brown chicken, brown cow
    Blake shelton, Ronnie Dunn, Brad paisley, Seasick steve ect.
    If we got stuff like that in UK, their'd be alot more country fans.

Being down in Okie, it's college football thats the sport of choice. SOONERS!!!!!
    Once you get to learn the game its very technical and nothing like rugby. Just hate that it stops for comercial breaks ect, but i suppose thats where the money comes from.

So basically yes. I went out there on a work contract to the parent company and loved it so much that i've moved out here now

Just gotta get used to the summers, 120`f is a bit much for us Brits brought up on grey skies and rain

P.S. I'm 36 and Male. (I just play a female char cos if i gotta look at a backside for countless hours then it better be a nice one ;) )
    Last edited by Sindala; 06-03-2011 at 04:04 AM.

The American English thing doesnt really bother me - only that sometimes it gets mixed in and i am guilty of getting the 2 mixed up.

Personally i think the sports in America are over rated and alot is put into it over there - this being said, the young players have good support and they are all well funded.

Some american women i find a bit over the top but thats the same anywhere. I went to Vegas, chicago and LA back in 2000 but i have to say i find americans on the whole annoyingly happy and over the top - also, the food portions gave me a heart attack. I could never live there.

Hopefully thats not too offensive. :P
    I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
    R50 Azama - Mage L60 R 13 Optional - Rogue L60 Sardonic - Cleric L50 Snugglepants - Warrior L50 @ Zaviel

+ Reply to Thread