+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Since no one else has...

Default Since no one else has...

A short history of Activision Blizzard or how B.Net 2.0 came to be

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...opic_id=128252

this is creating some very interesting discussions on other forums and something the gaming community should probably be aware of

Shadowlander

Thanks for this i might have to put that link as my sig when i figure out how. I didnt buy mw2as i didnt have the money and would have bought it soon now that i do but now i think i will be passing. I prob would have bought sc2 and diablo 3 as well was really looking forward to diablo but i will pass on those as well until i think this issue has been resolved to my satisfaction. Some will say yeah but hes there to make them money and thats fine but with his shortsighted views he wont be making my money anytime soon.

It's hard to tell how much of that is accurate, and how much is a hit piece.

Details like taking five years to replace the duct tape holding the carpet together, while painting a vivid picture, don't really ring true. All it takes is a single phone call to OSHA; inspectors can and do close down work places for health and safety violations. The negative publicity and fines really aren't something any employer wants to deal with. Plus, it's in everyone's best interest to make sure the employees are satisfied; they can always go somewhere else.

I do agree that Blizzard has lost sight of what gaming is all about. Many of the development decisions leading up to Cata showed a complete blindness as to what the players really want, and lack of understanding as to why certain features are popular and others aren't. Although they ask everyone canceling their subscription to fill out a survey as to why, there isn't a lot of indication they look at surveys of any kind. Personally, I have no desire to buy any more of their products--in utter arrogance, they destroyed a great game (not just my impression; the one million projected subscription losses by the end of June shows that I have plenty of company).

That said, however, I'd take that article with a grain of salt.

each piece of information has the link to the original article it came from-most of which are fairly entertaining because Blizzard later commented that that wasn't what Bobby actually meant.

Activision and Blizzard merge in an 18 billion $ deal into Activision Blizzard, with Activision as the dominant partner.
    It doesn't look promising when the first sentence is inaccurate. Blizzard is still Blizzard, Activision has been merged with Vivendi games and the resulting company has been renamed Activision-Blizzard. The dominant partner in this is still Vivendi SA who have owned Blizzard for years.

Notice, that while it might be true that Blizzard gets to remain “independent” in decisions as how to make their games or put together their teams etc., they both now share and have to please the same stakeholders, investors and have to ultimately answer to the same Board of Directors and Corporate Management.
    Yes, Activision now have to answer to the people Blizzard have been answering to for years.

I read this some time ago. It appears to have been extended. The last section shows a corporate Bulldust Artist at their very best:

Tippl, a laundry powder, toilet paper and chip salesman said:
    “When people come up and tell me, ‘how can you possibly make another Call of Duty,’ I always tell them that I used to work for a company that every year had to figure out how to make a white shirt whiter,” Tippl said. “And [Procter & Gamble] have been doing that for 35 years with a product like Tide.”

He continued, “You’re telling me with all the opportunities we have, and the technologies and the content ... and all the different stories, the characters that we can develop, that we can’t innovate on a franchise for 10 years? Give me a break. Then we’re just not doing our job.”
    Mm. Such an empty mass of words, yet so telling. Translation: 'I don't have a clue what we do, but I can put spin on anything'.
    My shiny carapace is cracked. I should have never left the sea. – Krugon.

+ Reply to Thread