+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nerf University courses to = college, they're too hard

Default Nerf University courses to = college, they're too hard

college courses pay the taxes. nerf university courses

Sword of Telara

they already nerfed highschool, seriously, lrn2study. it really isnt that hard. me and my friends have beaten half of college content with only 16 people.

if anything buff the loot teachers drop.

I just don't believe you kids these days. University has been made ez mode!

Back when I was in undergraduate school, we had to farm educational mats by going to the library and finding references in bound catalogs and card files. We then had to proceed to the "stacks" to harvest the raw materials and refine them using a copier, which spit out a finished product in the form of countless pages of dense type.

That was nerfed when I was working on the PhD progression. No longer did we have to farm references; we could look them up on the internet, find the articles, and print them out right at our computers. Oh, on occasion, a rare mat would pop up that still needed to be harvested and processed at the library--but the common mats could all be processed from start to finish in your home or office.

Farming and refining educational mats is such easy mode these days; I can't believe you kids STILL want it nerfed!

(And for the record: I walked to and from the university through the snow, going uphill both ways, barefoot. And I was happy for the opportunity!)
    Last edited by Palvy; 05-30-2011 at 02:38 PM.

Champion of Telara Silverangel69's Avatar

They are already EZ mode. Try an Asian college course if you think this is a grind. Lrn2study.

Rich Aemry

If you mean that University courses are too difficult due to the material covered now, then take a study skills class offered at the student center. I've never seen a university without such classes.

School in the USA has gotten much easier in some way, and much harder in others. When I started the material itself was higher level from the get go, while younger students have to play catch-up making it harder. That can't easily be helped, but we shouldn't dumb down colleges for that. The material has gotten easier in college as of late, but the workload has gotten brutal.

I never had graded homework in college, and only had to study so that I could learn, not to prove to the teacher I could fill out a worksheet like students do now. All the damn busywork makes universities harder than they need to be, and yes I think we should return to treating college and university students like adults. Busy work is for children, adults are old enough to sink or swim on 2-3 tests and a term paper. I can't believe how many group projects, and kindergarten level BS coloring projects I see handed out in undergrad, and even to masters candidates. Its rediculious and needless crap like that senselessly increases y'alls workload.

So I'm down with nefing University workload, but buffing the material taught.

Edit: grammar on a cell phone is horrid, but I can't see the post well enough to fix it. You all will just have to cope =P
    Last edited by Rich Aemry; 06-01-2011 at 09:09 AM.

It is difficult for the incoming player base to bridge the gap. They were used to their ez-mode game where everyone is treated equally and the good players have to play with the baddies to the point the good players became baddies too. Why, because they didnít have to do any better... Now they are coming into this new game where the content is beyond their understanding and all they want to do is bring it down to their level. Rather than grind out the experience gap, which after honing their rotations and soloing the final raid in each zone, they would have earned their epic loot and not just been handed the epic scroll. There is a reason why some content has to be gated, there are no ez-mode versions available and foraging for money on trees still isnít on this world's version.

lrn2swim, lrn2play, lrn2study

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aemry View Post
    If you mean that University courses are too difficult due to the material covered now, then take a study skills class offered at the student center. I've never seen a university without such classes.

School in the USA has gotten much easier in some way, and much harder in others. When I started the material itself was higher level from the get go, while younger students have to play catch-up making it harder. That can't easily be helped, but we shouldn't dumb down colleges for that. The material has gotten easier in college as of late, but the workload has gotten brutal.

I never had graded homework in college, and only had to study so that I could learn, not to prove to the teacher I could fill out a worksheet like students do now. All the damn busywork makes universities harder than they need to be, and yes I think we should return to treating college and university students like adults. Busy work is for children, adults are old enough to sink or swim on 2-3 tests and a term paper. I can't believe how many group projects, and kindergarten level BS coloring projects I see handed out in undergrad, and even to masters candidates. Its rediculious and needless crap like that senselessly increases y'alls workload.

So I'm down with nefing University workload, but buffing the material taught.

Edit: grammar on a cell phone is horrid, but I can't see the post well enough to fix it. You all will just have to cope =P
    I second this. When I graduated high school I figured I would get to focus on learning what needed to be learned, not a bunch of assinine worksheets and homework assignments. I have more petty assignments in university then I did in high school. I'm sorry, but worksheets do not help me learn, all they do is measure a students capability to deal with random BS and that's what general education classes are supposed to be for. At the same time, the material is a joke. I had a greater challenge from my high school teachers (and don't even get me started on my AP teachers). I've literally had classes where I skipped over half the lectures, skimmed the book and aced the class. The BS homework crap needs to stop, and the material covered needs a major improvement. When you pay 20-50k a year for something, it better be damn good quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorin View Post
    Think of a 30 meter circle around all ranged dps rogues and mages. Ranged dps can stand in the back line and focus fire targets without worrying about mobility and most forms of cc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    Sounds like an excellent plan for your healers to follow as well, as they have an even longer range on their heals.

Rich Aemry

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxagallanxchi View Post
    I second this. When I graduated high school I figured I would get to focus on learning what needed to be learned, not a bunch of assinine worksheets and homework assignments. I have more petty assignments in university then I did in high school. I'm sorry, but worksheets do not help me learn, all they do is measure a students capability to deal with random BS and that's what general education classes are supposed to be for. At the same time, the material is a joke. I had a greater challenge from my high school teachers (and don't even get me started on my AP teachers). I've literally had classes where I skipped over half the lectures, skimmed the book and aced the class. The BS homework crap needs to stop, and the material covered needs a major improvement. When you pay 20-50k a year for something, it better be damn good quality.
    You're lucky you don't have a 10% attendance rule where you live. The place I'm doing my PhD flunks undergraduate students who miss more than 10% of classes.

Soulwalker

University was easy as hell, all you have to do is spend 45min with the book, syllabus and the Internet and pretty much learn all you need to know for a class. Showing up helps and simply duplicate your professor's view of the subjects. I spent 100k on college and didn't learn a dammed thing.

College is too easy which is why we have so many ******s coming into job fields they have no business being in.

Quit and go to vocational school or bag my groceries.

Trust me college is easy, you're just lazy.
    Last edited by Micromachine; 06-03-2011 at 08:51 AM.

You're lucky you don't have a 10% attendance rule where you live. The place I'm doing my PhD flunks undergraduate students who miss more than 10% of classes.
    Well, the discussion sections for the lectures I attend because those have attendance. But a 500 person lecture is a little hard to take attendance in. Either way the point I was making is that University's (at least undergrad, I can't speak for anything above that) are unbelievably easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorin View Post
    Think of a 30 meter circle around all ranged dps rogues and mages. Ranged dps can stand in the back line and focus fire targets without worrying about mobility and most forms of cc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    Sounds like an excellent plan for your healers to follow as well, as they have an even longer range on their heals.

Rich Aemry

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxagallanxchi View Post
    Well, the discussion sections for the lectures I attend because those have attendance. But a 500 person lecture is a little hard to take attendance in. Either way the point I was making is that University's (at least undergrad, I can't speak for anything above that) are unbelievably easy.
    Y'all don't have electronic attendance?

But yes, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Micromachine View Post
    University was easy as hell, all you have to do is spend 45min with the book, syllabus and the Internet and pretty much learn all you need to know for a class. Showing up helps and simply duplicate your professor's view of the subjects. I spent 100k on college and didn't learn a dammed thing.

College is too easy which is why we have so many ******s coming into job fields they have no business being in.

Quit and go to vocational school or bag my groceries.

Trust me college is easy, you're just lazy.
    I am really curious what kind of major that was.

I never read any novels in university; I didn't have time. I remember enjoying spring by sitting in a lawn chair in the back yard, reading hundreds of pages of riveting material like Biochemistry by Lehninger, Nelson, and Cox or Biology of the Cell by Watson et al. I'm not sure it's even possible to sit for 45 minutes with the text, a syllabus, and the internet and then duplicate the professor's point of view (there are different points of view in physical chemistry???) in the major I took.

I do think that many prospective college students should take a hard look at the major they are contemplating, and whether it will actually lead to a decent career. I don't think majors like (insert minority group) studies prepare anyone for a career.

Soulwalker

haha i like this thread. I agree thermodynamics needs some nerfing =p

Rich Aemry

Quote Originally Posted by Palvy View Post
    I am really curious what kind of major that was.

I never read any novels in university; I didn't have time. I remember enjoying spring by sitting in a lawn chair in the back yard, reading hundreds of pages of riveting material like Biochemistry by Lehninger, Nelson, and Cox or Biology of the Cell by Watson et al. I'm not sure it's even possible to sit for 45 minutes with the text, a syllabus, and the internet and then duplicate the professor's point of view (there are different points of view in physical chemistry???) in the major I took.

I do think that many prospective college students should take a hard look at the major they are contemplating, and whether it will actually lead to a decent career. I don't think majors like (insert minority group) studies prepare anyone for a career.
    In the end almost no one uses what they learned in their major classes. The important things learned at a university are patience, submission to BS and often arbitrary authority, gumption, self motivation, independance self reliance, communication, and the ability to do well at things one dislikes. Those are the things almost any major will teach you. Only certain specialized carriers like engineering, psychology, coaching, and a few others require a specific major in undergraduate school. Most people get jobs that don't require any specific degree, one just needs to have a major in something (i.e. not general studies.)
    Last edited by Rich Aemry; 06-07-2011 at 05:38 AM.

In the end almost no one uses what they learned in their major classes. The important things learned at a university are patience, submission to BS and often arbitrary authority, gumption, self motivation, independance self reliance, communication, and the ability to do well at things one dislikes. Those are the things almost any major will teach you. Only certain specialized carriers like engineering, psychology, coaching, and a few others require a specific major in undergraduate school. Most people get jobs that don't require any specific degree, one just needs to have a major in something (i.e. not general studies.)
    I dunno about all that. What I learned in undergraduate school was mostly reinforced in graduate school, and I have to say that most of it has been useful information. Not useful in that I actively use the knowledge every day, but useful in the fact that if I am designing a new research project, I know what tools are available, whether I am proficient in them or not. Those tools might not be anything I've seen since undergraduate school--but remembering that they exist is half the battle. Some of those things you call important are not necessarily qualities I've observed in undergraduates. If that is the case, then what is the justification for the time and money spent on college?

I think that in many cases, employers use the degree requirement as a method of keeping the total number of applicants down, not because they require any special skills. For that purpose, is, or should a college degree be, really necessary? I think people are better off by learning some valuable/useful information that can be applied directly to a career. There is a lot of pressure on people to get college degrees, probably too much--I read somewhere recently that a large number of college graduates have little or no increased earning potential over what their non-college educated high school classmates can expect.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast