Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: People these days

Telaran

Default People these days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWeF6...ayer_embedded#

Buncha attention deprived individuals huh?
    Last edited by Aggrobeast; 05-29-2011 at 08:40 PM.

Ascendant

Default And you didn't

And you didn't put this is the "Off-topic" area why?
    Just trolling?

Plane Walker

So basically someone was taunting a police officer and was causing a disturbance? Nothing to see here.

And yes it was causing a disturbance, he got the crowd going, and the other guy could have been arrested for obstruction.

Why are people surprised when you act like a ******* and get arrested?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfax View Post
    And you didn't put this is the "Off-topic" area why?
    Just trolling?
    Whoops!? i'll remember that next time

Quote Originally Posted by KetMalice View Post
    Because most people are idiots.
    Oh mortal man, is there anything you cannot be made to believe?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by KetMalice View Post
    So basically someone was taunting a police officer and was causing a disturbance? Nothing to see here.

And yes it was causing a disturbance, he got the crowd going, and the other guy could have been arrested for obstruction.

I'm more suprised with people actually going out of their way to do this, all for youtube hits.

Ascendant

I'm amused at the people in this thread that live in a land that purports to value freedom, and yet support the unlimited power of the government to arrest the citizenry for "crimes" that cause absolutely no harm to anyone.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Isila View Post
    I'm amused at the people in this thread that live in a land that purports to value freedom, and yet support the unlimited power of the government to arrest the citizenry for "crimes" that cause absolutely no harm to anyone.
    isn't it like that everywhere?

*Edit*

Or is it just the U.S.?
    Last edited by Aggrobeast; 05-29-2011 at 08:57 PM.

Ascendant

Default Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Isila View Post
    It's a *memorial* to one of our dead Presidents. Idiots can dance elsewhere - I hope that they enjoy their fine and court costs.

Ascendant

It's a *memorial* to one of our dead Presidents. Idiots can dance elsewhere - I hope that they enjoy their fine and court costs.
    I would say that freedom trumps reverence.

But then, I'm not a fascist.

Plane Touched

Edit: Typo, thought was Lincoln memorial, not Jefferson.
    Last edited by Siphaed; 05-29-2011 at 09:25 PM.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=722134&dateline=12977  88610
    "Your worth consists in what you are and not in what you have."
    "What you are will show in what you do."
    --Thomas A. Edison

Ascendant

I'm wondering why would anyone revere dead presidents. They're men. Moreover, they're politicians. Every one of them had motivations and goals that were personal and what they did was influenced by everything from the desire to gather more votes, to the political situation at the time. Even the most famous American presidents had their issues. They were men. Sure they held a tough job, but you know, so do fire fighters.

That said, the freedoms of one group of people shouldn't negatively affect the freedoms of another. If you have a freedom to worship and someone is dancing naked in front of your house of worship, knowing that you find that offensive, they should be penalized.

Not because what they're doing is wrong in the sense of "evil", but what they're doing is impacting another citizen who also has rights.

If someone people feel those areas are "sacred" for some reason, then I think what he's doing is wrong, even if it's not wrong with a capital W.

Individual freedom has a responsibility to act maturely, or that freedom should be limited.

You can tell the immaturity of a species by the thickness of its lawbooks.

Ascendant

Default learn your history

Quote Originally Posted by nagennif View Post
    I'm wondering why would anyone revere dead presidents. They're men. Moreover, they're politicians. Every one of them had motivations and goals that were personal and what they did was influenced by everything from the desire to gather more votes, to the political situation at the time. Even the most famous American presidents had their issues. They were men. Sure they held a tough job, but you know, so do fire fighters.

That said, the freedoms of one group of people shouldn't negatively affect the freedoms of another. If you have a freedom to worship and someone is dancing naked in front of your house of worship, knowing that you find that offensive, they should be penalized.

Not because what they're doing is wrong in the sense of "evil", but what they're doing is impacting another citizen who also has rights.

If someone people feel those areas are "sacred" for some reason, then I think what he's doing is wrong, even if it's not wrong with a capital W.

Individual freedom has a responsibility to act maturely, or that freedom should be limited.

You can tell the immaturity of a species by the thickness of its lawbooks.
    Learn your history - the founding fathers of this country put their lives on the line, that's well documented. I think that's worth a memorial, but I'm from a different generation then most of ya'll.

Plane Touched

No, this is the reason though:

(Semi-Full, not edited to make those protesters look like goodguys version)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jUU3yCy3uI

Basically they brought their whole camera crew and set up to go purposely protest at that monument. The police gave them a clear warning as to what to do and not to do when protesting. They instead did exactly the opposite of that and purposely taunted the police to make them arrest them.

The law is indeed stupid as to what it is, but the people in the video are more stupid because they directly disregarded a police officer and choose to encourage ignoring police.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=722134&dateline=12977  88610
    "Your worth consists in what you are and not in what you have."
    "What you are will show in what you do."
    --Thomas A. Edison

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by nagennif View Post

The problem with this line of thinking is that you're defining right and wrong, in the eyes of the law, in terms of what offends people.

Maybe I feel that grocery stores are sacred, and wearing shoes in them is an affront to my sensibilities. Should people be arrested for that?

The only proper system of criminal law is one that defines right and wrong purely in terms of doing harm to others. Civil law is where matters of taste and respect should be dealt with. But even in those cases, caution must be exercised not to over-legislate.

Freedom is meaningless if you are only free to do what someone else defines as acceptable.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast