+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I can't bring myself to make a male character....

Soulwalker

Default I can't bring myself to make a male character....

Just wondered about the opinions of other gamers.... Backhistory is that while playing DAoC I got hooked on making female toons after making a female Albion Cleric. I knew a person in my guild that made a really kick-*** looking chain wearing lady cleric and so I made one. Now I'm hooked....

I really like the Lara Croft, G4 Girls of Gaming, type of thing. I like having my toon be a killer looking chick that's out to kill. Badass sexy women characters in gaming just really catch my interest.

I've never pretended to be a woman, rolepayed a woman or anything like that. I just love looking at my pixels thinking, dang she's one hot killing machine. I'm upfront with people I meet in game that I'm really a guy. I get mixed reactions.

#1 I'm 100% positively not gay. I'm married with kids and have no interest at all in men, not even remotely. I'm wholey attracted to women. The stigma to all of this is that I feel like I'm hiding something from people in real life. If it got out in my type of work I'd be the laughing stock of the place. Lots of testosterone where I'm employeed.

I'm an ex-Army veteran of a foreign war and a relatively old guy when gamings concerened. I'm thinking about making a male toon and sticking with it but don't know if I really should since I'm all about doing what makes me happy in game.

Any advice?

Sez

Quote Originally Posted by Crossfire00 View Post
    Any advice?
    Get a girlfriend for real life, and an avatar that represents you IN game.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    Read above .. I'm married with 2 kids.

I was this way for a long time. I actually broke the cycle not more than a year ago.

Male Bahmi are awesome looking. We have several rogues and clerics who are Male Bahmi and I think they look awesome.

I play a male Eth. Probably the most "normal" looking character I've ever made hahaha.

ps: I wouldn't be concerned with what others think unless it is really bothering you to the point where you don't wanna play anymore.
    Last edited by Enokarda; 05-29-2011 at 01:55 PM.

Art is meant to upset people, science reassures them.
    ~Georges Braque

It shouldn't matter what other people think. Play what you like, not what others THINK you should play. As long as your not acting like a girl while playing(yes i've met a few people like that) then you are fine. I for example can't make a defiant male. I just hate the races, so whenever i make a defiant character it is female.
    Got an itch for anime? Visit my anime thread here!
    Nexiga
    Retired from Rift

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Enokarda View Post
    I was this way for a long time. I actually broke the cycle not more than a year ago.

Male Bahmi are awesome looking I feel.

Also why do you feel you need to make a male character?

My wife jokes with me about it some and the other day my son asked me why my characters were women.
    He's 8.

Read above .. I'm married with 2 kids.
    Don't you just love it when people read the first line in a post, and make comments based on it?

I've known a few guys like this. You make what you like to look at. I'm not saying you make your characters extremely attractive women just to get your jollies off, but it definitely makes the game more pleasant when you like the way your character looks. I almost always roll female chars, being female myself, but I also take a look at what other male/race combinations look good in what types of armor are available to them. For instance, I have a male cleric, and I think he's one of, if not the coolest looking character I have. Has nothing to do with him being ripped (he's covered in armor all the time, can't tell anyway) and everything to do with the 'zomg that looks AMAZING' factor.

I also know a few guys who roll female characters to take advantage of single guys (read: nerds) in MMOs, just because they can. It really irks me, and I actually will go out of my way to point it out to the general populous.

I re-edited my post from before, but if you really feel you need to just give one a shot. Whats the worst that could happen?

Art is meant to upset people, science reassures them.
    ~Georges Braque

do what you like? who cares what others think.. if you really want to make a male character, do it, if you dont, dont do it

most who keep throwing that "gay" thing around are either trying to be cool, or are insecure with themselves

all my rogues are female with a ponytail (mainly because of tomb raider), all my cleric or priest types are female, because i see females as the nurturing types, my warriors and mages are usually male, except my warrior is a female bahmi because i like their jump but hate male bahmi

i havent found anyone that has an issue with me playing female characters, and if they do they didnt say anything and i dont care

when others start paying for your account is when you should let them decide things for you

EDIT: oh, and i find it funny how some people say you should get a girlfriend if you play a female character.. does that mean those that play males need a boyfriend?

as for your son asking you a question, i dont know how to respond to that.. the way my dad did it when i was that age is he would just say "cause theyre hot" lol
    Last edited by xanduin246; 05-29-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Thumbs up

I played the whole of wow as a female paladin. everyone I knew during that time always knew I was male by the way I speak alone, so don't be paranoid about it at all. Another thing is every female toon I meet along the way the assumption is 100% male player, until I'm corrected (and it does bring a smile and a laugh up when I am corrected)

My partner started playing wow and at first she was spooked by the main being female (rolled NE male druid to level with her female NE hunter) but once she caught up she was already recognising the paladin to be the "me" in the game - as we did every achievement we wanted to do together.

Personally I played it that way because I preferred the look of the animations and the style of the armors, as they do vary by quite a bit on occasion!

There has been a couple of instances where folks have approached me in the assumption manner of a girl player - always corrected immediately of course.

Be yourself, it's not a problem. I'm not going to flag "gay" as something to be worried about as that's pretty normal now these days! .. at least I'd frown at any haters whenever they show themselves.

Don't be concerned with what others think, it's not like they have any baring on your life, that's one of the best aspects of this game. From your perspective, it revolves around you, so you can be comfortable with how you want to play it - great is it not ?
    | Reply of the month | on the subject of hardcore players | By Seefer
    Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    Same here.......it's kinda like sex really.........you finish fast you're left sitting there going erm.....go slow take your time and enjoy every minute..........but I don't think he knows what sex is lol.

Soulwalker

I make female and male characters. Whatever I feel best suits the personality of the character. All of my healing characters are female, and I'm a male. Mostly the rest are males though.

I'm an ex-Army veteran of a foreign war and a relatively old guy when gamings concerened. I'm thinking about making a male toon and sticking with it but don't know if I really should since I'm all about doing what makes me happy in game.

Any advice?
    Question: If your answer to this question is "No" then carry on and all is well.

edit: if the answer to that question is "Yes" then start playing dudes and don't worry about it.
    Last edited by Trisian; 05-29-2011 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    Reading can be hard so you are excused.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viln View Post

PvP is a test of manhood and most of you will fail.

Plane Touched

I typically play female toons unless the male toons look particularly awesome. Why would I not want to look at the most aesthetically pleasing character I can make? I do this with all the games I play.

i play mainly female characters also. I just prefer to stare at a female char all day than a male char. When i make warrior type characters they are usually male but that is a rarity for me. I normally play healing classes.

never worry about what the general public thinks. if YOU are paying YOUR bills who gives a #$&*& what sex you pick?

If your wife had a problem with it it would be different!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast