+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Bread heels are too flavorful -- a suggestion for fixing toast+jam.

Default Bread heels are too flavorful -- a suggestion for fixing toast+jam.

I think many of you that don't particularly like the heels of bread or who buy bread that comes without any heels will share my frustration when you are cooking the heel of a loaf in a toaster or open faced sammich and they taste way too strong and get sorta crunchy with impunity.

The fact of the matter is, in order to function correctly in sammiches a heel of bread needs to be very flavorful in order to keep up with fresh deli-cut roast beef and properly made swiss cheese. In all cases heels are much more flavorful than the butter or margarine we put on toast. This is good for sammiches because heels can just make a sandwich delicious with heels.

There are mechanics in place to hinder a toaster from burning heels by themselves but they are far too under powered to make any noticeable difference. A 50 second toast is not enough to get the center of the heel nice and crisp without burning the other side. In the majority of cases the only viable solution to making toast from a heel is to focus toast it, which I believe limits a cook's options when facing the end of a loaf of bread and also unbalancing this balanced breakfast, which was balanced around bread from the middle of the loaf.

I propose a very effective solution to this problem, without having to make new kinds of toast and possibly unbalance all other breakfast choices.

In order to limit bread (and other things that have heels, like shoes) ability to overpower the flavor of other foods as well as retain their powerful toast...

Oh nevermind.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Peanut butter and banana. You can't go wrong.

You need to open your mind re: heel mechanics.

Everything thinks they must spam heels into the toaster, but that just is not the case. You can get perfectly good heels by frying them in a pan with butter. With this method, you must keep the spatula buff evenly applied, which has the effect of pressing the center of the heel against the hot pan.

If you aren't worried about cholesterol, saturated fat, etc., you can load up on the butter, which makes a very tasty heel without the need for roast beef and cheese buffs. Otherwise, you just need enough butter to thinly coat the heel.

Sez

Nicely done, yet again, Sir Seebs

/creditwherecreditisdue
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

The OP is looking at bread heels from the point of view of someone who engages in an entirely BvT or BvOS environment (Bread vs Toaster/Open Sammich) and is neglecting the large proportion of paying bread buyers who prefer BvJ. (Bread vs Jaffle Iron).

Heels are the archetypal bakery product to use in the BvJ environment and produce (in the opinion of this author) noticeably superior toasties.

Trion neglects the BvJ customer at their peril - why only last week 12 of my friends cancelled and are now using Panini Presses.

Yours &c,
    Disgusted, Tunbridge Wells.
    My shiny carapace is cracked. I should have never left the sea. Krugon.

The best heels is peanut butter and banana sandwiches with a big glass of milk. If you want to wipe your raid and fail everything, you'd want to go with mayonnaise and bananas.(not a good suggestion but great for lulz)

Ascendant

Wraps>heels

Heels are just a cheap copy of wraps.

Crust one one side? It's always on the same side, how it this innovative?
    Heels are boring, once you get the toppings down it's the same thing all the time. Yeah, yeah, I know "it's your own fault for cooking heals in 5 minutes and now your bored" that's my style. Doesn't make it right.

Heels are fail!

And can I just say that the casual Oceanic playing population is disadvantaged by 'Heels' and demands at least 1 shard labelled 'Crusts' or 'Bread Ends'.
    Last edited by Friar Tuck; 05-30-2011 at 04:45 AM.
    My shiny carapace is cracked. I should have never left the sea. Krugon.

Soulwalker

Wow, thank you so much to the OP and the rest. A great laugh

10.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #10
    Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Salvatrix's Avatar

Trion's official position (and by that, I mean my own superior preference) is that store-bought bread is fail.

Go real home-made or go home.

Good bread makes the rest of these arguments void because the good bread shines through no matter how it is served. Get rid of your Vigil-toe-kissing, store-bought loaves. Smash the false promises of lazy Defiant bread machines.

Find the true path - real bread, no mixes, no machines, simple ingredients!

(Trivia - the baker NPC in the Whitefall tavern is named for my wife, baker of excellent artisan breads like her Kalamata olive sourdough or roasted rosemary potato bread.)

Have to agree with the purple name.

Back home there was a bakery about a mile away from our house and thats where we got out bread (for cheap since we knew the owner).

Fresh bread...there is no way to describe how good it is.

Actually, in America when i was young, and ate store bought bread, it made me sick until i got used to it (didnt have a choice at the time)

I found this thread extra amusing considering I baked my first loaf of bread last night.

Why is it that devs always give bread heels attention when buns get none???/?/????>>

14.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #14
    Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Salvatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tachi View Post
    Why is it that devs always give bread heels attention when buns get none???/?/????>>
    Just our clear bias against buns.

Just wait till you see how heels get buffed in 1.3. No one will ever want a bun again.
    An Interested Observer
    #WontBeErased

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash, and I am delighted to say I have no grasp of it what so ever."

Homemade bread is SO awesome, yeah. We do buy some store bread, but it's just plain not as delicious.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast