+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Confessions of a Ex Gold Buyer.

Default Confessions of a Ex Gold Buyer.

Yep, it's time to tell a story of a time when I was a gold buyer and how it began and how it ended. Some of you will look down on me while others may apperciate the insight of a short but very true story. Gold buying is like buying a drug for a game that can also be a drug at times. It can drain your income and lead to real life problems down the road. It is a dangerous addiction and one that is seriously over looked.

It all started in 2003 with the release of FFXI. My first ever MMO it was exciting and overwelming at the same time. It was a hard MMO and to enjoy the game. It took hours sometimes days to get the smallest accomplishments. Very much gear dependant and extremely challenging. The door that opened up to real life problems that haunted me for years.

Problem was simple and complex at the same time. Ether I can't play the game that I really enjoyed or find a way to beat the system some how. Gold buying as you will. I had no idea it existed until it was recommended to me by a guild mate if mine. I tried it once then bought the gear I needed to compete. Like a crack addict trying the drug for the first time I was hooked. This lead to the consequences that I mentioned.

I was 18 at the time. Just old enough to recieve a credit card and I worked part time with limited bills and no worries. Free money right? Boy was I wrong and payed dearly for it years later. I maxed out the credit card buying nothing but gil so I could play the game. Not worrying about having to pay the money back. Young and stupied and care free. Did this with my paychecks too over drafting 2 bank accounts. This went on for about 4 years into my next game World of warcraft as well. Something finally woke me up and I stopped buying gold.

Why you ask? 4-5 years of cheating the system and you just stop buying gold. What changed your mind? Simple enough I found out it was not that hard to make the gold I needed to buy items within the game. I found crafting and saving gold while leveling and not spending a fortune on gear that i would out level soon anyway. Not to mention the debt that took me years to pay off with about 3 payments left to go till im in the clear. It ruined my credit for the longest time and followed me in some jobs too. Credit checks are required by some companys now.

So the moral of the story is this. Don't do what I did and enjoy what you have. I lost a job, My soul mate and my family due to my actions that took years to recover from. My actions still affect me to this day with nothing but regret for what I done. I hope this post can enlighten potential buyers and current buyers alike.

tl;dr I was a bad person who learned from my mistake a few years ago.
    Last edited by Essala; 05-27-2011 at 06:30 PM.
    Account Cancelled 03/10/2013
    0 Months paid game time remaining.
    Bring the fun back into Rift.

Your post, while good in effort, will fall on a lot of deaf ears. If people want to cheat, they will, but they will get caught and punished for doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by DJTimeKiller View Post
    Your post, while good in effort, will fall on a lot of deaf ears. If people want to cheat, they will, but they will get caught and punished for doing so.
    Granted, but its worth having up. Noone ever confesses to doing it and it was time for someone to step up to the plate.

Normally I'd chastise you for doing what you did, but you suffered enough that you don't need some stranger on a forum criticizing you. At least you learned from your mistake. Sucks that all of that happened to you though.

Good to see you got wisdom.

Fortunately, platinum is so easy to make in RIFT that this isn't a problem.

Ascendant

I bought gold once and only once a very very long time ago, in another game. The thing is, I had just come over to MMOs from Second Life where buying gold was a fact of life. It was legal in the system. In fact, Second Life has a price for which you can sell your Second Life gold for US dollars. I used to make decent money playing Second Life.

So when I started MMOs saw an advert and did it. Then casually mentioned it to a guidie and man, the lecture I received. I hadn't thought about it, because I'd had no experience with it.

Five years later, my account on another game was hacked my gold sellers. I didn't get my items back, either. I quit that game, but it's a lesson well learned.

I wasn't buy gold anyway and hadn't for years, but even so, I still had my account hacked. Plenty of gold sellers get their gold this way, and by buying gold you're supporting it. Bad for the industry.

Now, I play and make my own gold and if I can't afford something for a long time, I don't have it. But it makes me appreciate the stuff I have now, and the stuff I get along the way a lot more.

For me, not buying gold as improved my experience in MMOs in general.

IXI

I don't get why people buy gold in the first place. It defeats the purpose of even playing the game. It's one major reason I quit playing EvE (besides that the game was just boring). You can legitimately "buy gold" but it gives no reason to even play the game at all.
    It's spelled "Riftdrawal", and yeah you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by IXI View Post
    I don't get why people buy gold in the first place. It defeats the purpose of even playing the game. It's one major reason I quit playing EvE (besides that the game was just boring). You can legitimately "buy gold" but it gives no reason to even play the game at all.
    Human nature. Some may denie it but people do like to take the path of least resistance. It can be in real life or in game.
    Last edited by Essala; 05-27-2011 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IXI View Post
    They want to bypass the hours of "gold grinding" usually.

Rift Master

warcraft pre bc, for someone who raided hardcore was tough on people who didn't have alot of time online. i know for a fact people within the guild i was in bought gold. i didn't really say anything figuring that was their choice. the real shocker was when i heard the guild leader offering to sell guildies gold, from the profits we made from raids no less. it pretty much disgusted me. oh, we had one younger guy whos parents bought him gold with his allowance by the way.

i think it's up to the game makers now to make currencies work in a way where you don't ever need to buy any and i think rift has done a very good job at it. non tradable rift currency, plaques etc. i mean once you buy your mount at level 50 plat becomes pretty much an optional thing imo.

while there are companies out there that do farm/sell currency but theres just as many people farming/playing the auction house so they can do the same thing. fortunately i think in rift given how easy it is to make currency theres less need to buy any and i think you can see that reflected in the gold spam adds from when the game started up to now, prices have dropped through the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by tiren View Post
    warcraft pre bc, for someone who raided hardcore was tough on people who didn't have alot of time online. i know for a fact people within the guild i was in bought gold. i didn't really say anything figuring that was their choice. the real shocker was when i heard the guild leader offering to sell guildies gold, from the profits we made from raids no less. it pretty much disgusted me. oh, we had one younger guy whos parents bought him gold with his allowance by the way.

i think it's up to the game makers now to make currencies work in a way where you don't ever need to buy any and i think rift has done a very good job at it. non tradable rift currency, plaques etc. i mean once you buy your mount at level 50 plat becomes pretty much an optional thing imo.

while there are companies out there that do farm/sell currency but theres just as many people farming/playing the auction house so they can do the same thing. fortunately i think in rift given how easy it is to make currency theres less need to buy any and i think you can see that reflected in the gold spam adds from when the game started up to now, prices have dropped through the floor.

Rift did a excellent job at not making this game extremely Plat dependant. You can get the gear you need through plaques and crafted items are reasonably priced with little to no inflation.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by nagennif View Post
    I bought gold once and only once a very very long time ago, in another game. The thing is, I had just come over to MMOs from Second Life where buying gold was a fact of life. It was legal in the system. In fact, Second Life has a price for which you can sell your Second Life gold for US dollars. I used to make decent money playing Second Life.

So when I started MMOs saw an advert and did it. Then casually mentioned it to a guidie and man, the lecture I received. I hadn't thought about it, because I'd had no experience with it.

Five years later, my account on another game was hacked my gold sellers. I didn't get my items back, either. I quit that game, but it's a lesson well learned.

I wasn't buy gold anyway and hadn't for years, but even so, I still had my account hacked. Plenty of gold sellers get their gold this way, and by buying gold you're supporting it. Bad for the industry.

Now, I play and make my own gold and if I can't afford something for a long time, I don't have it. But it makes me appreciate the stuff I have now, and the stuff I get along the way a lot more.

For me, not buying gold as improved my experience in MMOs in general.
    Yeah, Second Life it's currency exchange, not so much buying gold. The only way you get linden money is if SOMEONE spent RL money on it somewhere. (Yes, Linden Labs even "buys" the currency given away in contests, so as to not break their money economy) It's not like MMO's where you can make the money by doing something in the game, and the money is limitless because of it.

Some people got in the gold buying loop because of Ultima Online where while not encouraged, it was perfectly legal to do so. Shadowbane was another place where it wasn't expressly forbidden. EQ/EQ2 it was against the rules, but they didn't crack down on it early enough to fix it.

Honestly, I know someone is buying plat in rift, or the spammers wouldn't still be at it.

But I see their prices getting cheaper in their spam. They're getting more desperate for customers. So at the least, all the reporting we're doing is hurting their profits.

Telaran

I sell gold (lots of it) and i myself am proud of it as i keep my family and myself living a nice and easy lifestyle.

Not in this game as i actually like this one (and plat is worth little more than ****) but in others why not? when there is easy money to make why not make it? i know at least 4 people who do mmo`s gold and fps cheats and they are all minted, really if you dont take advantage while they cant fight back then stupid says as stupid goes really

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by xxxfarsing View Post
    I sell gold (lots of it) and i myself am proud of it as i keep my family and myself living a nice and easy lifestyle.

Not in this game as i actually like this one (and plat is worth little more than ****) but in others why not? when there is easy money to make why not make it? i know at least 4 people who do mmo`s gold and fps cheats and they are all minted, really if you dont take advantage while they cant fight back then stupid says as stupid goes really
    Actually people who ruin game economies for others due to their own selfishness are not smarter, just more opportunistic. I know a lot of opportunistic people that aren't that smart.

Telaran

But i bet they have loads of easy cash? really easy cash cheats/gold/stupid fake gold guides/bots/ loads of money dont need to be smart just savvy

game economies? its all about the $$, there are no game economies only $, at least not where im from game economies equal
    Last edited by xxxfarsing; 05-27-2011 at 07:37 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast