+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Rift: Free to Play?

Default Rift: Free to Play?

Hi, I was just curious when Rift was going to go F2P.

Thanks guys.

Plane Touched

1/10 for unoriginal troll. Your post count is high enough you could have come up with something better.

Quote Originally Posted by johnflesh View Post

Thanks guys.
    There's been nothing to show that rift is going F2P.

Quote Originally Posted by DJTimeKiller View Post
    There's been nothing to show that rift is going F2P.
    With respect to current MMO trends lately, I think that is a matter of perspective.

MMOs only go F2P from a monthly sub if it is in a dying State(IE: LOTRO, DDO). Rift is still a baby and is doing quite well for itself. If you are going to analyze trends, I suggest doing a better job in the future.

With respect to current MMO trends lately, I think that is a matter of perspective.
    Due to recent trends in your topic replies and posting it's been decided you are changing from the normal range of intelligence into the sub-par category.
    Strider
    Voted Best Bard on Sunrest 2011*
    *by myself

Thanks guys.
    I doubt it'll go F2P It *appears* to be doing quite well as a sub-based game.

MMOs only go F2P from a monthly sub if it is in a dying State(IE: LOTRO, DDO). Rift is still a baby and is doing quite well for itself. If you are going to analyze trends, I suggest doing a better job in the future.
    I was thinking more along the lines of a Guild Wars model. Buy the game and play. Not so much cash shops and all.

Rift Chaser

LOTRO was not dying , it was a business decision , I played LOTRO up to & after FTP was started & there were more people on my server in it that in Rift right now . DDO on the other hand was Dead but now its a thriving community , So it would seem going FTP can be the best thing for a MMO if done right ..

Rift as its stands should not go FTP, I still rate it as a AAA Game MMO what should happen " but won't " is closing Half the servers & increasing the Server Capacity by x3 ..
    Last edited by lukain; 05-27-2011 at 05:52 PM.

I was thinking more along the lines of a Guild Wars model. Buy the game and play. Not so much cash shops and all.
    GW isn't an MMO, despite a lot of players insistence that it is. There's much, much, much lower costs associated with maintaining the game.

Quote Originally Posted by lukain View Post
    LOTRO was not dying , it was a business decision , I played LOTRO up to & after FTP was started & there were more people on my server in it that in Rift right now . DDO on the other hand was Dead but now its a thriving community , So it would seem going FTP can be the best thing for a MMO if done right ..
    No server in LotRO had capacity for a few hundred thousand players. And I was playing at that time too - the population was substantially decreased from its peak when the announcement was made. It wasn't dead, but it was sliding down the slope pretty damn fast.
    Last edited by Siendra; 05-27-2011 at 06:20 PM.

Shadowlander

This guys posting is pretty funny. He joined the forums in May, has nothing but low lvl toons, and is chatting it up on these forums like he has been in the game forever.

It is funny that people can finally ask these questions on this forum and not get trolled by the fanboi's nonstop or people that just started 2wks ago and are having a great time. I seen what was coming from the get go and voiced it, while most of you were trolling the hell outta me.

If this game is succeding, it is in a mediocre way, and damned sure wasn't the wow killer they tried to make themselves out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamred View Post
    This guys posting is pretty funny. He joined the forums in May, has nothing but low lvl toons, and is chatting it up on these forums like he has been in the game forever.

It is funny that people can finally ask these questions on this forum and not get trolled by the fanboi's nonstop or people that just started 2wks ago and are having a great time. I seen what was coming from the get go and voiced it, while most of you were trolling the hell outta me.

If this game is succeding, it is in a mediocre way, and damned sure wasn't the wow killer they tried to make themselves out to be.
    OH NO! I DON'T HAVE A LVL 50 YET, POST WHILE I'M AT WORK BECAUSE IT'S DEAD!

I've been playing MMOs for 4-5 years, so excuse me if I haven't felt the need to rush through the content. Just because I don't have a 50 yet does not mean I don't know what I am talking about. I am not trolling anyone(you are btw). I am giving information that I have based on over my years of MMO playing.

Edit: 180 posts is chatting up a storm these days? Damn, I'm more chatty than I thought!
    Last edited by DJTimeKiller; 05-27-2011 at 06:23 PM.

LOTRO was not dying , it was a business decision , I played LOTRO up to & after FTP was started & there were more people on my server in it that in Rift right now .
    I think they were hoping to shake the european playerbase but alas we get the yankie mother of the game taking our servers back now so who knows how long it will last with the Isengard expansion coming at some point.

I went back today and was surprised how many people are still playing it. And it did seem more than rift on my server too ...
    < Invictus >
    Nerissa - Cenii - Nausicaa - Elix
    Cleric - Warrior - Mage - Rogue
    Icewatch EU

Rift as its stands should not go FTP, I still rate it as a AAA Game MMO what should happen " but won't " is closing Half the servers & increasing the Server Capacity by x3 ..
    Ftp is good as a last ditch to rakde in cash..but it is also a death kneel for the game ever getting to be a *top* MMO..

As for closing the servers? Why I see more and more people every day joining those servers..not transfers..new players... many people have forgotten or don't realise that rift has been out only a few months and is still gaining players.. you have to have room for those players to go..and more than a few servers are experiencing que's on the weekends.. aka while they might of wanted to openn servers a bit slower in the beginning they are gaining the player base to fill what they have.
    And Shepard's we shall be for thee my lord for thee, power hath descendant forth from thy hand, may our feet swiftly carry on thy command, so we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be

In nomeni Patri et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Siendra View Post
    GW isn't an MMO, despite a lot of players insistence that it is. There's much, much, much lower costs associated with maintaining the game.

No server in LotRO had capacity for a few hundred thousand players. And I was playing at that time too - the population was substantially decreased from its peak when the announcement was made. It wasn't dead, but it was sliding down the slope pretty damn fast.
    Guild Wars 2 WILL be an MMO and it will be B2P, but have no monthly fees. There are other business models besides charging monthly.

And the cash shop won't have items that give players in game advantage like experience point buffs or stat buffs. As with Guild Wars it will be mostly things like storage or fluff items.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast