+ Reply to Thread

Thread: That moment when you die , and your life flashes before your eyes.

Default That moment when you die , and your life flashes before your eyes.

I've always kind of wondered... You know that saying, that your life flashes before your eyes before you die? What if when you're about to die, that moment before you die stretches on into eternity? What if everyone on this site is dead already? What if we're all dead, but in that split second before we die, or as we do die, our mind reaches out into the past, and you relive your life, again and again. What if this is the hundredth time you watched your life pass without realizing it, when in reality, we're all at the end of our lives? What if this is "heaven", the brain living on after death, just in your own memories? Almost like a fail safe. A permanent existence even... It's the way your mind keeps from being utterly destroyed, by casting itself back into the past of your own memories, and making that split second before death stretch on into eternity... Now did that blow your mind?

eww, no

Ascendant

Nah, that's just the brains way of compensating for something it cannot grasp. Humans seem to do this and it's very interesting.

We cannot comprehend nonexistence (To experience it means to not have the ability to experience it) so we come up with alternatives that we can deal with.

If dead is dead, I don't really care. I will never know.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Gerchferder View Post
    I've always kind of wondered... You know that saying, that your life flashes before your eyes before you die? What if when you're about to die, that moment before you die stretches on into eternity? What if everyone on this site is dead already? What if we're all dead, but in that split second before we die, or as we do die, our mind reaches out into the past, and you relive your life, again and again. What if this is the hundredth time you watched your life pass without realizing it, when in reality, we're all at the end of our lives? What if this is "heaven", the brain living on after death, just in your own memories? Almost like a fail safe. A permanent existence even... It's the way your mind keeps from being utterly destroyed, by casting itself back into the past of your own memories, and making that split second before death stretch on into eternity... Now did that blow your mind?
    I've died before, and I can say no.
    CPU: Intel i7-920 2.67GHz
    GFX: MSI Nvidia Geforce NGTX480
    MOBO: EVGA FTW3 x58 Edition
    RAM: 3x2GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz
    HDD: 2x1TB Samsung F3 7200RPM HDD
    Opt.Drive: Pioneer Blu-Ray Burner
    PSU: XFX 850w
    Casing: XCLIO Windtunnel

woah... thats some intense ****
    "Trying is the first step towards failure."
    -Homer J. Simpson

Rift Disciple

"Life flashing before your eyes" is simply a survival mechanism. In truly extreme situations your brain just goes through its entire memory store in hopes of coming up with a way to prevent your death. It works sometimes too, people have the "life flashing before their eyes" experience and some bizaare factoid comes to them that lets them escape their predicament. In any case, it's distinguishable from reality.

Rift Chaser

I am genuinely a little nervous about posting on this thread because i don't want to give the wrong impression, but faith is something that comes from within yourself and should not be pushed on to you by another person, although it is acceptable other people can offer an opinion and talk in a non judgmental way, to help others.

This is where I differ from man made organised religion, period.

But......this is what I believe. I don't think we have one life only, this belief comes from within me. If there is an ultimate creator of the so called universe/multiverse I don't believe he would have designed it so that only ONE class of people following ONE set religion get an afterlife. Regardless of the fact that many people on this Earth are not Christians, Islamic, or Jewish (the so called children of the book) what about all the countless other people not only on this Earth, but as we are starting as a civilization to possibly accept, there may well be other intelligences elsewhere within Creation who have never heard of the particular religious sect that promises salvation to the exclusion of all else and others?

Not to even mention those who die young with potential unfulfilled, or even those who both live and die in strange and difficult circumstances. And does human life start at conception or when we are born, again let alone those intelligences who may well have a different concept of being born itself.

And finally on this point what about Self Conscious AI machines if they exist? Or even animals? Do they also get saved and do they have a soul......

So..........this bit over what I believe is this. We have had many lifes before this one and will have many more lifes to come.

We cannot normally access these memories in this life but like everything else there are exceptions. Extreme stress at the point of death may well cause any block to be removed.

So what we may remember at the point of death is what happened before this life as well as this life in general

Just a personal view and i agree this is not your usual type of gamers post moaning about something

Soulwalker

Back on Feb 07, 2009 I suffered a Hemorrhagic Stroke on my Left Side of the brain. I noticed the effects admittedly because I recalled an email a co-worker sent out days before. I stumbled to the bathroom at the time and verified what was happening via trying to smile in the mirror. Then I stumbled to the urinal and tried to empty my blatter. Ended with more harm than good but I wont go into detail.

Well I wandered back to my PC(I was at a lan party at VaTech at the time) and yelled at my friend Dev to call 911 and that I was having a stroke. At this point things was getting hazy and my judgement was impaired. The ambulance came and took me to the local hospital. At the time of the stoke my Blood Pressure was 300+ over 92. I was in a coma for 3 days and my total hospital stay 1 month.

I didn't have the "Life flash before my eyes" effect. My only guess is that I was in control the entire time and I knew I was dieing. To me death was and still is a spiritual thing. To come so close to dying and surviving was truly a great gift from God. I am truly not afraid of death now. There's more to this story but I will save that for another topic.

I haven't actually died but I do know that in life and death decisions such a military firefights that everything slows down and all of your senses get enhanced. I also noticed that before ops that I was unconciously taking mental snap shots of things like the sunset and wondering if I would ever see another one or a bug on a flower and stuff like that.
    Nebakar 50 Guardian Rogue Sunrest
    Matael 3X Guardian Warrior Sunrest
    Matala 1X Defiant Mage Harrow

+ Reply to Thread