+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WoW lost 600k in one quarter..Rift is mentioned!

Soulwalker

Default WoW lost 600k in one quarter..Rift is mentioned!

Thought you guys might like this article....

http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/706...aft-in-trouble

notice that Rift is specifically mentioned!

Plane Walker

Kind of old news. WoW lost people due to the Cataclysm expansion, not due to Rift. Rift was just lucky to fill a temporary void. There are a lot more MMOs coming out that are equal or better contenders to fill that void than Rift is atm.

Plane Touched

Oh really? Name them. Guess what, not out until next year or they suck.

Well, I do look forward to Planetside Next, but that is a shooter.

And sub losses for cataclysm were already reported last quarter.

Now, will those who left WoW to try Rift stay with Rift, return to WoW, or just wait for something else down the road. Who knows and who cares ;)

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Vizwik View Post
    Thought you guys might like this article....

http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/706...aft-in-trouble

notice that Rift is specifically mentioned!
    What's to like about that? I'd prefer WoW subscribers stayed right where they're at, thanks.

Plane Walker

I know and this is why I said that Rift is holding a temporary void atm. Imo they have six months more or less to improve upon their game and make it appealing enough to keep their playerbase and maybe expand.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Xasapis View Post
    Kind of old news. WoW lost people due to the Cataclysm expansion, not due to Rift. Rift was just lucky to fill a temporary void. There are a lot more MMOs coming out that are equal or better contenders to fill that void than Rift is atm.
    Not to sound like a huge Rift supporter here...but how would you know they are equal to or better? I'm not inclined to believe you are playing GW2, Square Enix unamed MMO, Star Wars, Terra, etc betas all at once. My point? Opinions, especially when you cannot possibly have one mean crap.
    Last edited by VanillaXpC; 05-27-2011 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xasapis View Post
    I know and this is why I said that Rift is holding a temporary void atm. Imo they have six months more or less to improve upon their game and make it appealing enough to keep their playerbase and maybe expand.
    Right before the "competition" comes out. You know, two games that are a year or more away:

Guild Wars 2 - free to play, no need to cancel a Rift sub

Star Wars: The Old Republic - I've seen the beta. I hope Bioware enjoys their bankrupcy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laughingstock
    SWTOR will hit a big enough audience on it's own to be successful. Know why? Because Star Wars has fanbois just like you: that would buy anything that says SW on the box that know nothing about Bioware.
    When defending something, the best course of action is not to admit the only thing going for it is blind devotion.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptFailure View Post
    Right before the "competition" comes out. You know, two games that are a year or more away:

Star Wars: The Old Republic - I've seen the beta. I hope Bioware enjoys their bankrupcy.
    If only every MMO went bankrupt because you disliked the beta.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viln View Post

PvP is a test of manhood and most of you will fail.

Plane Touched

GW2 comment makes no sense. There is all the reason in the world to cancel a sub you're paying actual money for if you're having fun on another game....that is free monthly. If I'm spending 3/4 of my gaming time on GW2 and I have an active Rift sub...it won't be staying that way for long...waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordan View Post
    If only every MMO went bankrupt because you disliked the beta.
    Trust me, I'm a fan of both Bioware and Star Wars and after the debacle that was Galaxies I wanted SW:TOR to be good. But sadly it's not, and it's too late in the development stage to turn back now. The voice acting, which ate up most of the game's budget, is complete garbage. The dialogue options do nothing to change your character's reactions and the branching stoy means it's almost impossible to team up with friends unless they play EXACTLY the same way you do which destroys the point of both the branching story itself and MMO gameplay.

In the end all of the bells and whistles that are supposed to innovate the genre with TOR mean nothing. You might as well have stuck with post NGE Star Wars Galaxies because it's exactly the same.
    SWTOR will hit a big enough audience on it's own to be successful. Know why? Because Star Wars has fanbois just like you: that would buy anything that says SW on the box that know nothing about Bioware.
    When defending something, the best course of action is not to admit the only thing going for it is blind devotion.

Trust me, I'm a fan of both Bioware and Star Wars and after the debacle that was Galaxies I wanted SW:TOR to be good. But sadly it's not, and it's too late in the development stage to turn back now. The voice acting, which ate up most of the game's budget, is complete garbage. The dialogue options do nothing to change your character's reactions and the branching stoy means it's almost impossible to team up with friends unless they play EXACTLY the same way you do which destroys the point of both the branching story itself and MMO gameplay.

In the end all of the bells and whistles that are supposed to innovate the genre with TOR mean nothing. You might as well have stuck with post NGE Star Wars Galaxies because it's exactly the same.
    I have read a lot of previews from reputed sites like IGN and Gamespot and they have completely different opinions. I would rather trust them than you, sorry no offense. But i would reserve my final judgement once i get my hands on open beta.

I came to Rift happier with WoW than I've ever been. I try MMOs when they come out though so I tried Rift when it came out.

During Wrath I stopped playing WoW because it was a joke. Very easy and very grindy with rewards that felt unearned. I've played many other MMOs including WHoL, EQ, Aion, AoC. I came back to WoW specifically for Cata and I loved it. Cata is challenging fun and rewarding.

The only reason I've pretty much left WoW is because I find Rift so engaging. The thing I like most about Rift is how responsive the devs are to the community. It feels like an evolving game and that for me makes it exciting. It's not perfect but it's fun and it feels like money well spent.

I have read a lot of previews from reputed sites like IGN and Gamespot and they have completely different opinions. I would rather trust them than you, sorry no offense. But i would reserve my final judgement once i get my hands on open beta.
    Those magazines also said Dragon Age 2 was good. Dragon Age 2 was so horrible it was almost offensive to think Bioware farted out that piece of ****. I've always trusted my own experience over what magazines say, even when I left WoW for Rift.

Those magazines also said Dragon Age 2 was good. Dragon Age 2 was so horrible it was almost offensive to think Bioware farted out that piece of ****. I've always trusted my own experience over what magazines say, even when I left WoW for Rift.
    Again your opinion. I enjoyed DA 2. But like i said it takes a lot more for a MMO to go bankrupt than an opinion of one guy who disliked the beta. In fact wherever i have read or talked about SWTOR i have only seen very positive feedback so far.

Again your opinion. I enjoyed DA 2. But like i said it takes a lot more for a MMO to go bankrupt than an opinion of one guy who disliked the beta. In fact wherever i have read or talked about SWTOR i have only seen very positive feedback so far.
    Understandable, but I'm not saying my opinion will somehow magically bankrupt it. I'm saying that in the end it has nothing to draw people away from what they already have. I've read the same articles and I can easily say that beta testing tells you more about a game in development than demo content given to magazines.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast