+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you Americans think of us Brits?

Soulwalker

Default What do you Americans think of us Brits?

Mind grammatical errors as I'm posting this from my BlackBerry

I'm not directing this at America as a whole, I just wondered what you thought of us. I heard that the typical stereotype is that Americans either think we're book-teethed ponces who are unfriendly to visitors.

Do you think we all speak posh?
    Can you distinguish between our accents?
    What do you think about our sports in comparison to yours? (Rugby vs American football etc.)
    What do you expect the british weather to be like?
    Do you see our cities as small towns which are cramped?
    Have you ever been to britain, and how did you find it?

This thread cannot generate any good -_-.

Sez

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn View Post
    Since I don't know what posh is, yes.

I can't even name the different types. All I know is "beetles style" "Monty Python" or "Snooty English chap."

What do you think about our sports in comparison to yours? (Rugby vs American football etc.)
    Tradition vs New-age Equipment (Golf is an exception though)

I live in Southern California, so all weather is crap compared to what I enjoy

Depends on the area, just like anywhere in the world (We aren't ******ed, well, most of us)

How did we find it? I paid some guy who owned an Airplane to take me there. When I arrived, everyone was flying around with umbrellas and top hats so I just assumed I had arrived in the right spot.

Edit: Forgot to say, Cheers.
    Last edited by Sez; 05-26-2011 at 01:55 PM.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Plane Walker

i like everything foreign.

I was in Europe for a month last July/August, and ended our trip with a few days in London.
    Loved it personally. People i found friendly. I find women with british accents attractive (well i find most women with accents very enticing lol).

There are some naive Americans who view other cultures/foreigners in a bad light, but the same goes for some naive individuals of any other country's views on America. Many see us as a bunch of inbred rednecks which is largely untrue and perhaps only slightly applicable for a small portion of our southern states. Much like lots of the cockney brits are seen as the hicks to you british...

Europe as a whole felt kind of cramped too me, but that is only cause i come from a very sprawling open city in America, Los Angeles. Albiet i LOVE Europe and was actually exploring alternatives to staying/living/working while i was there. Maybe im just not as patriotic as i should be, but i would love to get outta this country, and London seemed like a good venture... LoL. I am still exploring options right now.

Byriel - Guardians - The Brethren - DH 4/4 - GP 4/4 - GSB 5/5 - RoS 5/5 - RotP 4/4 - HK 11/11 - iD 1/8
    Weekend HK PuG! http://brethrenrift.enjin.com/forum/...eekend-hk-runs

Batousi, 50 Warrior ~ Bomah, 50 Cleric ~ Kusanagi, 50 Rogue ~ Fuu, LvLing Mage

I have British friends and they are all awesome, and like to get drunk a lot. Not that terribly different from over here! Some are more difficult to understand when they talk, so yeah I suppose I do notice a difference.

Other than that, I never expected them to look a certain way or act a certain way. One likes tea and hates rugby and didn't care about the royal wedding. One hates tea and loves rugby and the royals. One just wants to play Xbox all day. As far as I'm concerned, you're not just "Brits", you're people like the rest of us.

There's a lot more history in your towns and cities than here. I'm jealous. You don't just bulldoze over a landmark because you want to build a Starbucks. Tradition appears to have more of a foothold as well.

Champion of Telara Silverangel69's Avatar

I immediately like anyone I hear in in-game chat with a Australian or British accent. I could probably take a guess at your different regional accents. Rugby looks really dangerous. It's hard to believe that half of the team would not be sitting on the sidelines with injuries the way they play. One rarely hears a British teeth joke over here from comedians any more.

No. The entire world would have turned against you and blew your island off the face of the earth long ago were that the case.
    Yes to a degree, but I have absolutely no idea which accent comes from where. I can distinguish between Irish, Scot, British and Australian, but as far as accents from different parts of Britian I have no clue.
    Rugby is the greatest sport on Earth PERIOD. I really wish I could have played Rugby during Highschool rather then Football (American of course).
    Rugby is like the combination of Soccer (Futball) and Football (American), my two favorite sports.
    Like Canadas but with a lot more rain.
    No, though I do sometimes imagine on the outside of those cities to be small villages that resemble the hobit town in the 1st LoTR movie.
    No, though I would like to visit one day. Perhaps go t a pub and eat some duck.... that is what you Brits do, isn't it?

I imagine the average Brit to be much like the average American, but with an accent (as we have one to you). Oh and you guys drive little cars and ride a lot of trains.
    Last edited by Bobjohnson; 05-26-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Rift Disciple

I'm not directing this at America as a whole, I just wondered what you thought of us. I heard that the typical stereotype is that Americans either think we're book-teethed ponces who are unfriendly to visitors.

To be honest? I dont really care, I judge people individually and not as a whole, unless that 'whole' is a group of torch bearing, pitchfork wielding, villagers looking to burn my castle again..

Damn you peasants!!

Soulwalker

1. I like to imagine that you all do, as it provides the illusion that you are a more cultured people.
    2. I've never noticed any difference in accents. At all.
    3. Your sports are just as irrelevant as our sports. Though the Economist has convinced me that american football, despite appearances, is actually far rougher than rugby and that rugby is, in fact, the game for sissies.
    4. I expect it to be something like Portland, Oregon. Personally, I enjoy overcast and don't mind rain, so I imagine I'd rather like it.
    5. Not at all. In fact, when I think of Europe as a whole I imagine it being more crowded.
    6. Nope, only been to Central Americal.

I think you have a very noticeable excess of unpronounced "u"s. :P

Seriously, I dunno; I've been there a couple of times, and about all I'd say is I didn't think the pizza places were very good.

However I can say that this advice is golden:

Advice for Americans visiting the UK.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by McDracos View Post
    Your sports are just as irrelevant as our sports. Though the Economist has convinced me that american football, despite appearances, is actually far rougher than rugby and that rugby is, in fact, the game for sissies.
    My contrast of the two - Rugby requires no padding, and the players look just as big as fully padded American Footballers. Rugby is a very violent sport, as is football. When I watch American Football, it seems that the players run about 10 yards and are forced to stop, whereas rugby is more ongoing. I like the American Football stadiums and the atmosphere more than Rugby, because American football seems more lively.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobjohnson View Post
    No. The entire world would have turned against you and blew your island off the face of the earth long ago were that the case.

Yes to a degree, but I have absolutely no idea which accent comes from where. I can distinguish between Irish, Scot, British and Australian, but as far as accents from different parts of Britian I have no clue.

Rugby is the greatest sport on Earth PERIOD. I really wish I could have played Rugby during Highschool rather then Football (American of course).
    Rugby is like the combination of Soccer (Futball) and Football (American), my two favorite sports.

Like Canadas but with a lot more rain.

No, though I do sometimes imagine on the outside of those cities to be small villages that resemble the hobit town in the 1st LoTR movie.

No, though I would like to visit one day. Perhaps go t a pub and eat some duck.... that is what you Brits do, isn't it?

I imagine the average Brit to be much like the average American, but with an accent (as we have one to you). Oh and you guys drive little cars and ride a lot of trains.
    1 - Good point.

2 - There are too many types of accents in britain. The liverpool accent is almost a different language, it's an aggressive accent and a mix between cockney and Irish. Some scotts are completely understandable, wheras others aren't

3 - I wouldn't say that rugby is the greatest sport on earth, but it is enjoyable.

4 - "Canadas with a lot more rain" - good description!

5 - For the first time last year I went to the country side, and your description is somewhat correct! Okay, maybe not completely accurate, but I get what you mean.

6 - Fair argument.
    Last edited by Kenn; 05-26-2011 at 02:51 PM.

1. No, I've seen enough Guy Ritchie movies.
    2. I can't tell a Manc from a Pudlian, or whatever you call it.
    3. About the same, since I don't care about sports. But at least our teams have cool names like Raptors and Predators; Manchester United just doesn't immediately strike fear into people.
    4. Probably like Seattle.
    5. Never gave it much thought.
    6. Never been, may like to at some point.

Now, I'm gonna hop across the frog and toad to see a bird about a Donald; sure, her boat race is fair red reels, but she's got fine Scotch eggs.
    Win when you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!

Soulwalker

I dont think so, though the ones that do are probably more entertaining

Which accents are you referring to? Probably not then. But I can say it is attractive, even if my main interest is in Sweden.

No interest. I dont really have any sports interest (yes, an American who doesnt like AMERICAN football).

I imagine overcast as the usual weather, though Ive done no research.

I imagine London most of the time (who doesnt?), but I also picture your towns being just like ours, which are comfortably populated.

Ive never travelled out of America, unfortunately.

I'm not sure what kind of stereotype I'm supposed to have about Brits. I'm also not sure what a "ponce" is. I went to graduate school with a Brit; other than getting teased for her accent a lot, she seemed like a normal enough person. Ditto for other Brits I've known.

Posh--wasn't there a song about that in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?

Not very well. I can tell there's a difference... sometimes. And Aussie accents sound a lot like British accents to me. OTOH, I hear every subtle little difference in American or Canadian accents.

In some cases, I find the accents very difficult to understand. I took a bus in Brighton, and asked the driver where the bus was going, and how much the fare was. He answered, and repeated himself when I said, "Excuse me?" I ended up getting on the bus and hoping it would take me to the right place, because I didn't understand a word he said. (I believe he was speaking Cockney.)

I'm not a sports fan.

Cold, wet, cloudy. At least that's what it was like when I visited, in the month of June, many years ago.

Naw. London was absolutely the most crowded city I have ever seen. The sidewalks were packed 6 or more deep everywhere. I've never seen anything else like it.

I also stayed in Brighton a few days. It was a typical medium town or city, I'd say.

Unlike the poster above me, I found it by taking a ferry from France.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast