+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LOTRO F2P Gone Bad

Default LOTRO F2P Gone Bad

Thinking of trying lotro since it's f2p? Don't. Turbine has officially broken its promise to the community (the promise that the Turbine Store would sell convenience, not advantage):

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...-with-you-quot

Turbine...what happened to you? You used to be a company upheld by integrity. Now, you're upheld by getting as much money from your playerbase as possible, whilst lying to their faces.
    If you're going F2P, please do it right. Don't go back on your word.

Shield of Telara

That thread is from July of 2010, I actually posted quite a few times in that thread as Cedwin.

We all knew it was coming, when they first implemented the store. They did the same exact thing with D&D Online.
    Last edited by Stevoli; 05-26-2011 at 12:49 PM.

It was resurrected -- later on there are quite a few more posts from the past few days, and more are coming.

You're right though, I should probably have picked a later page

Right around page 18 are the posts from this past week or so:

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...ou-quot/page18

Quote Originally Posted by Stevoli View Post
    That thread is from July of 2010, I actually posted quite a few times in that thread as Cedwin.

We all knew it was coming, when they first implemented the store. They did the same exact thing with D&D Online.
    Ah, so that's you, lol.

Champion of Telara Silverangel69's Avatar

I'm on page two (#37) of that thread.

Don't forget the semi-promise that LotRO would never go F2P in the first place. The monetization of legendary items this spring (selling out the components fo the best gear in the game) was the last straw for me, on top of everything else like putting buy now buttons all over the interface and ads in loading screens. It's otherwise one of the best MMO's out there. A real pity.

Maybe if the uprising gets some steam, some concessions will be made. I hope so. I'd like to go back, but won't unless unlikely changes are made.
    Last edited by Silverangel69; 05-26-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Rift Disciple

I think it's a good way to buffer for bad players. They don't come to the forums to complain about imbalances so much (as they do here). If you suck, you can fix it with a potion instead of whining about it :P.

Quote Originally Posted by rainyman View Post
    I think it's a good way to buffer for bad players. They don't come to the forums to complain about imbalances so much (as they do here). If you suck, you can fix it with a potion instead of whining about it :P.
    The only thing I'd pay for in LOTRO would be the possibility to use the RIFT models for characters. :P
    Never give a sword to a man who can't dance (Confucius)

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Berethron View Post
    Thinking of trying lotro since it's f2p? Don't. Turbine has officially broken its promise to the community (the promise that the Turbine Store would sell convenience, not advantage):

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...-with-you-quot

Turbine...what happened to you? You used to be a company upheld by integrity. Now, you're upheld by getting as much money from your playerbase as possible, whilst lying to their faces.
    While saying that they are selling advantages to players in the cash shop could be right, saying that they try to get as much money from their playerbase as possible is a blatant lie.

The f2p system in Lotro is the least invasive that has ever been launched to the market. In a couple of hours you can complete all the deeds in ered luin and the shire with some trash toons and have enough points to buy almost everything you want in the shop. Every weeks there are discounts and on tuesday they cut the price on something of 75%.

A couple of hours if you do that alone, much less if you have others helping you and grouping in Lotro for deeds is incredibly easy. More or less everything you do in the game gives you points and, the most important thing, is fun even when you are grinding.

Ascendant

I absolutely LOVE LotRo. I still maintain my subscription there along with Rift. The roleplaying in that game is the best I've encountered anywhere.

Can't say I use the store though..so any abuse of it or promises made by Turbine are kinda irrelevant to me...but I can see if the company promised one thing then did something else they will lose customers.

The music system though is well worth downloading and playing for free in and of itself.
    Last edited by Vydor; 05-27-2011 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marzio View Post
    While saying that they are selling advantages to players in the cash shop could be right, saying that they try to get as much money from their playerbase as possible is a blatant lie.
    Uh no it's not...they've lied to players' faces. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't lie without financial motive.

The f2p system in Lotro is the least invasive that has ever been launched to the market. In a couple of hours you can complete all the deeds in ered luin and the shire with some trash toons and have enough points to buy almost everything you want in the shop. Every weeks there are discounts and on tuesday they cut the price on something of 75%.
    I don't know how you can get that many Turbine points on so few deeds; you get 5 or 10 per deed and there are plenty of things in the shop that cost hundreds, if not thousands.

A couple of hours if you do that alone,
    I think 4589089973048039089259 hours is more than a couple.

much less if you have others helping you and grouping in Lotro for deeds is incredibly easy.
    Good luck finding others to do that.

More or less everything you do in the game gives you points
    Deeds aren't everything....

and, the most important thing, is fun even when you are grinding.
    If you can grind thousands of landscape mobs without your eyes bleeding out, more power to you. It doesn't change the fact that Turbine outright lied to us.

Why waste your time and effort bashing LOTRO?

It's a good game in many, many ways. I still play it when I'm not playing RIFT. It has a very immersive storyline, an excellent player community, good RP, and the hands-down best crafting system I've ever found in an MMO.

Are there shortcomings? Sure, there are. The dev team is extremely laid-back about fixing issues (known bugs in certain dungeons have stayed in the game for YEARS), and it definitely lacks the polish of a newer title. The F2P thing can turn people off who don't like to be reminded at every turn that they pay for their Middle-Earth experience with Regular-Earth money. So, it's not for everyone.

On the other hand, I don't really get the whole "warning people away" thing you're doing here. It's a fun game with a very low cost to explore, not a Balley's Fitness Club Membership. And it's not necessary to "pick" playing one or the other. I maintain subs in both RIFT and LOTRO. No need to take sides.
    Last edited by eveleaf; 05-27-2011 at 11:44 AM.
    ~~If you like to protect players, roll a tank. If you like doing damage, roll a dps. If you want the power to choose who lives and who dies, it's probably a good thing you're playing a video game.~~

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Berethron View Post
    Uh no it's not...they've lied to players' faces. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't lie without financial motive.

I don't know how you can get that many Turbine points on so few deeds; you get 5 or 10 per deed and there are plenty of things in the shop that cost hundreds, if not thousands.

I think 4589089973048039089259 hours is more than a couple.

Good luck finding others to do that.

Deeds aren't everything....

If you can grind thousands of landscape mobs without your eyes bleeding out, more power to you. It doesn't change the fact that Turbine outright lied to us.
    F2p management is either getting money from people or people in the game to populate it. Trion is doing the same here with free trials; someone will buy the game and someone will just fill the world. I dont see why it should be wrong somewhere else but not here.

Just doing all the deeds in Ered Luin you can get 100 tp and it takes less than an hour, i ve done it plenty of times. Some of the deeds were just "explore the area" that means go somewhere around the map and you ll get your points.
    During festivals you can get more points while having fun with the festival. Yule festival was INCREDIBLY fun because you had to perform emotes on a stage like an actor while the audience could hit you with flower petals or rotten fruits. Just by completing the related deeds you could get 50 tp.

/joinglobal channel > lfg slayer deeds in ered luin

Deeds aren't everything but are a great way of getting cash shop items. In every other f2p game you have to farm a PILE of gold and then STALK the AH hoping to find a good deal. Here you set a target (i.e. 500 points) and rinse and repeat with trash toons untill you get what you want. If you have patience you can buy the same thing cheaper when they put it on cheap sale.
    With those points you can buy a zone pack and then have fun with it while getting more points simply completing the quests in that zone.

TL;DR Turbine didn't lie to you because you shamelessly ignore everything about lotro and his f2p system.

How do the peeps who shucked out 200 bucks for a lifetime sub feel about it going to F2P....

Not that I care, after the travesty they committed with DDO.....Lotro wasnt even a chance of getting my playtime or money.
    In the dusts of hell Lurked the blackest of hates, For he who eats fear awaits you
    RIFT Mantra: Exploit Now and Exploit Often, You wont be punished!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegler View Post
    How do the peeps who shucked out 200 bucks for a lifetime sub feel about it going to F2P....

Not that I care, after the travesty they committed with DDO.....Lotro wasnt even a chance of getting my playtime or money.
    If they're still playing, it was a fantastic investment.

They get VIP status and benefits (everyone else who wants those still pay $10-15/mo) for life without paying anything, which includes 500 free turbine points every month that they can spend at the cash shop.
    ~~If you like to protect players, roll a tank. If you like doing damage, roll a dps. If you want the power to choose who lives and who dies, it's probably a good thing you're playing a video game.~~

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegler View Post

It's nice. I come back every now and then and spend some of the monthly tp during a sale, and play Rift when I want some PvP action or get bored.
    Last edited by rainyman; 05-27-2011 at 07:09 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast