+ Reply to Thread

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Does philosphy exist?

Default Does philosphy exist?

Does it REALLY?

2.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #2

What does it mean to exist?

(ucwutididthar?)
    Last edited by Elrar; 05-25-2011 at 12:54 PM.

Does philosphy exist?-ic.jpg

/10charhooray

\o/

Sez

Quote Originally Posted by Elrar View Post
    What does it mean to exist?

(ucwutididthar?)
    I troll, therefore I am.

(Harharharhar)
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Asst. Community Manager Walsingham's Avatar

Actually there are many assumptions that can be made as to whether we exist, and more importantly how. For example, we could surmise that we are all digital, and though we exist in our own minds, we might not exist in the classical sense.

If you look at everything in our "world" and take a glance, it can all be turned into digital, or zeros and ones. Moments in time can be turned into pictures. These can then be digitized into pics and jpgs, etc. You can also take the spoken word, music, or sound in general and turn this into zeros and ones. The same can be said of film, and many other aspects of our "existence."

That being the case, can we then surmise that it is possible that even we are a higher version of this digitization? Just as a zip file is a compressed version of a file or object, could we then be a compressed version of true reality?

Moreso, is it possible that if it is true that this 'reality' is a simulation, then it could be said that within said simulation you would require NPCs (animals, people, etc.) to make it more believable and palpable. So, if this is required and it must be 100% believed, then it would be true that these 'NPCs' would not be able to know that they are in fact 'fake.'

If that were to be the case, then would you really know whether you were in fact real or an NPC? Because you would not be permitted to know you might just be a part of the program and you would never know this.

So, are you real, or are you just a fig newton of somone else's simulated reality?
    Last edited by Walsingham; 05-25-2011 at 01:09 PM.

Philosophical debates about the existence of philosophy is a real debate.

But it isn't much different from a dog chasing its own tail.
    Cute at least?

Byriel - Guardians - The Brethren - DH 4/4 - GP 4/4 - GSB 5/5 - RoS 5/5 - RotP 4/4 - HK 11/11 - iD 1/8
    Weekend HK PuG! http://brethrenrift.enjin.com/forum/...eekend-hk-runs

Batousi, 50 Warrior ~ Bomah, 50 Cleric ~ Kusanagi, 50 Rogue ~ Fuu, LvLing Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Walsingham View Post
    Actually there are many assumptions that can be made as to whether we exist, and more importantly how. For example, we could surmise that we are all digital, and though we exist in our own minds, we might not exist in the classical sense.

If you look at everything in our "world" and take a glance, it can all be turned into digital, or zeros and ones. Moments in time can be turned into pictures. These can then be digitized into pics and jpgs, etc. You can also take the spoken word, music, or sound in general and turn this into zeros and ones. The same can be said of film, and many other aspects of our "existence."

That being the case, can we then surmise that it is possible that even we are a higher version of this digitization? Just as a zip file is a compressed version of a file or object, could we then be a compressed version of true reality?

Moreso, is it possible that if it is true that this 'reality' is a simulation, then it could be said that within said simulation you would require NPCs (animals, people, etc.) to make it more believable and palpable. So, if this is required and it must be 100% believed, then it would be true that these 'NPCs' would not be able to know that they are in fact 'fake.'

If that were to be the case, then would you really know whether you were in fact real or an NPC? Because you would not be permitted to know you might just be a part of the program and you would never know this.

So, are you real, or are you just a fig newton of somone else's simulated reality?
    We exist in a classical sense. I think, therefore I am. Reality may be a simulation - all senses can be fooled easily, who is not to say we are not in a coma after an accident, dreaming we are awake. The simulated reality may not even be something we can perceive while in the false world. For instance, if we were The Matrix, as seen in the move (Titled "The Matrix").

Or, as one wise man put it before me, perhaps you are a butterfly dreaming you are a man.

Also, are you trying to say that our avatars in RIFT, knowing only of their own false world, is the same as what we could be, also unknowing of the real world?

Does it really matter whether the world exists? Maybe it does, and we can't show that it doesn't. I tend to be nice to things on the grounds that I assume they're people. No big loss to me if they aren't, but if I were mean to them it might be bad for something.

Note that the question of other peoples' existence and awareness is less obvious to me; I don't have the instinct that makes people look like they are "real", so I just infer them from their behaviors. (So for instance, face-to-face doesn't make people seem more real than text or forums to me.)
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Rift Disciple

Once upon a time, I, Erex, dreamt I was a forum troll, posting hither and thither, to all intents and purposes a forum troll. I was conscious only of my happiness as a forum troll, unaware that I was Erex. Soon I awaked, and there I was, veritably myself again. Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a forum troll, or whether I am now a forum troll, dreaming I am a man.

http://coinspinner.wordpress.com/

This is all the philosophy a man can handle.

Bik

Quote Originally Posted by hp94 View Post
    Does it REALLY?
    98% of Wikipedia articles will end up at philosophy if you keep clicking the first (non italicized/bracketed) link on an article.

Quote Originally Posted by Bik View Post
    98% of Wikipedia articles will end up at philosophy if you keep clicking the first (non italicized/bracketed) link on an article.
    Many will. Some enter into loops that do not include Philosophy, though.

A mathematician I know worked out a proof that every article necessarily either reaches a stable loop or doesn't have a first non-italicized/non-parenthesized link.

xkcd ftw
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Soulwalker

Since the universe's must natural state is darkness, and I keep on getting hit by wherever I get hit, I'd rather just wish I didn't exist. It'd make every burden I carry much easier if I at least knew I was controlled by someone or something out there.

So yes, I'm certain I exist.
    CPU: Intel i7-920 2.67GHz
    GFX: MSI Nvidia Geforce NGTX480
    MOBO: EVGA FTW3 x58 Edition
    RAM: 3x2GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz
    HDD: 2x1TB Samsung F3 7200RPM HDD
    Opt.Drive: Pioneer Blu-Ray Burner
    PSU: XFX 850w
    Casing: XCLIO Windtunnel

Default sims within sims

According to some forms of Simulation Hypothesis, it is quite likely that we are simulations. In which case, I just want to say "Devs, please nerf greedy warmongers. kthx."

+ Reply to Thread