+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 65 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Why DPS Meters are Required in MMO's

Shadowlander

Default Why DPS Meters are Required in MMO's

I was reading a post on this forum about a DPS meters, and saw a bunch of posts from people saying that addons/dps meters are not needed in this game.

I wanted to see what's everyone's opinion in on this topic.

I believe that DPS meters are required in every MMO. The reason being, I could have the best gear in the game and I go into a PUG raid to kill a boss. I do nothing but auto attack and AFK. I'll obviously be doing the worst in the entire raid but no one will know because there are no DPS meters. In this scenario we're not going to kill the boss because no one has any idea that I'm just standing there auto attacking while browsing youtube on my other monitor. The raid leader will not kick me from the raid because I have the best gear in the game available, so I must know what I'm doing.

DPS meters allows you to see who is doing what they should be doing, and who isn't paying attention.

Thoughts?

Ascendant

They are niceties, not necessities.

I can see the whining coming now. I do prefer to have one just for my own evaluation of my character ( testing rotations and such). But for some reason everyone thinks they should be allowed to slack in a raid. Now I am not saying that some people dont abuse the dps meters and are jerks about people not pulling enough whatever. But it doesnt mean that they dont have their uses such as how you explained it above.

So end result i just want it for me i dont care what others are doing because unlike mopst people i dont enjoy flaming every person who is failing especially if they are trying to be a competent part of the raid

I certainly like them but they also have their faults. I use DPS addons simply to make sure I'm doing my job. It lets me know what DPS I'm doing and how it compares to others.

But I don't like it when DPS meters are used to publicly criticize and insult other players. or when people brag by posting their numbers in party / raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Krenum View Post
    I certainly like them but they also have their faults. I use DPS addons simply to make sure I'm doing my job. It lets me know what DPS I'm doing and how it compares to others.

But I don't like it when DPS meters are used to publicly criticize and insult other players. or when people brag by posting their numbers in party / raid.
    EXACTLY my thoughts

Telaran

Oh, it's another one of these threads.

What you said is all true. DPS meters are really the only way to measure skill in PvE. MMOs aren't like FPS or RTS games where you can see how skilled someone is by just watching them. If people disagree that dps/hps meters should exist, it's because they know that they're already not very good and don't want other people to know as well. That or they are just lazy and don't want to learn how to improve even though it benefits them as well as their group/raid.

It is a double edge sword. They do about as much harm as good. I am def for them because they never really bothered me much mainly because I was doing my job and knew rotations and such.
    Rules do not exist to bind us. They exist so you may know your freedoms.

Sword of Telara

I have played many MMOs from EQ to now, and never once have I used or was required by a group to use a DPS meter, and yet my gaming experience has been fun and productive. Therefore, it goes without saying that they are not required, at least by me, and I am sure by a lot of other folk.

They are about as required as a sock is required by a teen boy (or tissues by a teen girl) to make themselves look like they have more to offer, and it's just as ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    It is a double edge sword. They do about as much harm as good. I am def for them because they never really bothered me much mainly because I was doing my job and knew rotations and such.
    Agreed. I primarily use them when I am testing out a new build on the training dummy or to gauge what level of content I can participate in and still be helpful to the group/raid.

When parsers are more or less abused to flex e-peen or weed out the inexperienced, it makes me want to punch the face in of the jerk spamming that **** in party chat.

The problem itself isnt the meters it is the people who think they are something special in a video game if people could grow up this wouldnt be an issue and i would be a happy man (granted that would require that the 50% of humanity to stop being idiots.) Yes i hate people in general as a rule... it happens especially once you get to know enough of them. Too many people think they are something special. In reality we are all just mindless drones lol

dmv

If bosses didn't have dps checks, we wouldn't need them.
    They're necessary for rift oo make sure nobody is slacking off.
    Retired due to lack of PVP content and boring/repetitive game mechanics.

Champion

DPS meters promote enrage timers. I hate timers. If I wanted a timer in my game I'd play a platformer from four console generations ago. MMOs need to stop promoting the importance of pressing buttons in the right order and more towards the importance of pushing buttons at the right time.

No one is impressed by your ability to mash a macro until the loot pops up.
    Last edited by Racthoh; 05-24-2011 at 02:32 PM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Ickz View Post
    Oh, it's another one of these threads.

What you said is all true. DPS meters are really the only way to measure skill in PvE. MMOs aren't like FPS or RTS games where you can see how skilled someone is by just watching them. If people disagree that dps/hps meters should exist, it's because they know that they're already not very good and don't want other people to know as well. That or they are just lazy and don't want to learn how to improve even though it benefits them as well as their group/raid.
    That is BS. You can have massive DPS and be an abysmal player . a Good player knows what to do and when to do it . That has nothing to do with dps ( let alone a dps meter is any indication of skill ,it isn't ) . And then continuing to suggest folks opposing such a meter do so "because they know they aren't good " is even more ridiculous . I have seen folks bragging in WoW ( pretty much spamming raid/party chat ) who turned out to be extremely crappy players when it came to positioning and tactics . When you introduce such a meter it is a 100 % given you'll see the same spam in Rift .

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Ithadriel View Post
    That is BS. You can have massive DPS and be an abysmal player . a Good player knows what to do and when to do it . That has nothing to do with dps ( let alone a dps meter is any indication of skill ,it isn't ) . And then continuing to suggest folks opposing such a meter do so "because they know they aren't good " is even more ridiculous . I have seen folks bragging in WoW ( pretty much spamming raid/party chat ) who turned out to be extremely crappy players when it came to positioning and tactics . When you introduce such a meter it is a 100 % given you'll see the same spam in Rift .
    And before you know it guilds and groups willl start demanding a "dps meter rating " for folks even wanting to participate in a raid/dungeon party . That kind of stuff effectively kills the sense of community in any MMO . It also does away with the raison d'étre of any game ( including a MMO) : having fun playing it .
    Last edited by Ithadriel; 05-24-2011 at 02:45 PM.

DPS Meters are required in MMO because the Tanks want a statistic so the can kick out, jeer and chastise anyone who doesn't have a bigger e-peen that they do (especially when the 'low DPS' lets kick them from the party, hes a wimp playing a non-tank character)

I'm very glad Trion did not allow that part of WoW...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 65 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast