+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 13,886 lines of code (206k) in one style sheet

Default 13,886 lines of code (206k) in one style sheet

This is so epic that I have to tell you all about it. The lead developer on my current project is VERY inexperienced, in fact, he has never developed a website before in his life. I was hired to try to help him get his project deployed. So far a couple of highlights

ĽOne style sheet for the entire website that is 13,886 lines long, 206k on disk.
    ĽOne *.aspx page with 5,556 lines of C# code in the code behind (*.cs) file or 315k on disk.

I am speechless. I have never seen or heard of anythinig like it. I have seen some fail projects and coding before but this has to be some kind of record. Is there a Guiness Book of World records for the largest style sheet ever? That *.css file is absolutely epic.

Sez

If I had the slightest idea what you were talking about, I might share in your enthusiasm.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    If I had the slightest idea what you were talking about, I might share in your enthusiasm.
    Style Sheets or *.css files define the formatting of web pages, including this one. To give you a frame of reference, imagine one 18-wheeler hauling 3000 tractor trailers.

Dear god. A single CSS file that is 206kb? Wow.
    [Server] Faeblight
    [Retail] M_1=Chloromancer(D), M_2=Cleric(D), A=Rogue(D)
    [Beta 1-7] Tank (Reaver/Paladin)

Quote Originally Posted by Thulium View Post
    Dear god. A single CSS file that is 206kb? Wow.
    Yes, it absolutely takes your breath away. Is there a way to minify *.css files? Almost every style uses absolute positioning. Have you ever seen how different browsers can destroy 100% absolute positioning?

I have just been offered another position. I think you can figure out what my answer will be.

hmmm... can I think about it?

Sounds like you need the Daily WTF.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

ROFL!

The lead you say...

I don't even know where you would start to deal with that. Do you discuss load times, frameworks, best practices, ... the list just goes on. Especially if this guy is sitting higher up the food chain than you.

I wouldn't wish your position on my worst enemy.
    Dimensions on Faeblight
    Rajmali: The Soggy Tissue (Gloamwood Glen), Raj's Study (Breach Chamber)
    Lachei: 55 Rue Plumet (Plaza Aurentine)
    Giorn: Tuldio Museum and Library (Edge of Infinity), Chateau Anju (Mathosian Cascades), Sea Breeze (Threesprings), Titan Arena (Shal Korva)

Quote Originally Posted by Javert View Post
    ROFL!

The lead you say...

I don't even know where you would start to deal with that. Do you discuss load times, frameworks, best practices, ... the list just goes on. Especially if this guy is sitting higher up the food chain than you.

I wouldn't wish your position on my worst enemy.
    He wrote the current version in FoxPro which is nothing but linear spaghetti code, so they made him the lead dev on the web app?!

I just signed up for the daily WTF. I think that it is safe to say that I will be taking the other position.

Quote Originally Posted by blackweb View Post
    This is so epic that I have to tell you all about it. The lead developer on my current project is VERY inexperienced, in fact, he has never developed a website before in his life. I was hired to try to help him get his project deployed. So far a couple of highlights

•One style sheet for the entire website that is 13,886 lines long, 206k on disk.
    •One *.aspx page with 5,556 lines of C# code in the code behind (*.cs) file or 315k on disk.

I am speechless. I have never seen or heard of anythinig like it. I have seen some fail projects and coding before but this has to be some kind of record. Is there a Guiness Book of World records for the largest style sheet ever? That *.css file is absolutely epic.
    Why is this page taking so long to load..... is my Internet acting up again?

hahah.....

Edit: Thanks for making me appreciate my job and workplace more.
    Last edited by Sneezer; 05-24-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneezer View Post
    Why is this page taking so long to load..... is my Internet acting up again?

hahah.....

Edit: Thanks for making me appreciate my job and workplace more.
    I feel like a red-suited member of an ill-fated away team with a communicator in one hand and a tri-corder in another screaming "BEAM ME UP NOW!"

Plane Walker

Sorry sir, you know the only red shirts to come back are Ohura and Scotty. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by rimuladas View Post
    Sorry sir, you know the only red shirts to come back are Ohura and Scotty. EVER!
    I think I could pass for Scotty but Uhura would be a strech.

Prophet of Telara

Sometimes I feel I make to many style sheets. General Site, Menu Systems, Bordering CSS, etc etc. I would go crazy if I fit everything in to a single one. Not to mention it makes fixing things or making changes a bunch easier going through a small file then a larger one. (Or even just having on demand loading of just some of the .css and not them all at once)
    Horrible Main Tank of --- <Zombie Goasts> - Shatterbone (US Guardian)
    Crappy Youtube Page: http://www.youtube.com/exphryl

+ Reply to Thread