+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Witcher II

Default The Witcher II

Downloading it now. Not an mmo , so I am hoping talking about it wont infuriate the Mods.

I really enjoyed the first one. This one has a new engine , more cut scenes, but its smaller than the original.

Anyone playing? how is the gameplay?
    Minsc and Boo
    All time favorite RPG characters.

Rich Aemry

Damn good. Worth every penny.

You'll want to play it with an Xbox 360 controller though. The KB/M support isn't the greatest.

^^^

The controls are really really awkward at the moment (I say "At the moment" because I'll assume that I"ll get used to them)

Graphics are as advertised - fantastic

voice acting is really good

story has been really engaging so far.

...there's a lot of story, so if you're not a fan of games that through you some depth (IE: "GET ON WITH IT! I WANT SOME ACTION!!") then this probably isn't for you. Otherwise, roll with it!

Rift Chaser

Played the game for 2 hours yesterday... nice graphics, speech etc but during that time must of seen 90 mins of cutscenes...., so only 30mins actually fighting, not impressed tbh, also purchased fable 3, this was pretty much the same deal, makes me wonder is this the direction of all rpg's now, very little content and lots of cutscenes

Controls are clunky, map and quest journal needs work, combat is pretty fail, the voice overs seem less than enthusiastic (I think some of the generic guard voice overs are better than the main characters),progression seems to drag it's feet, fugly prefab PC and overall lack of originality. Could be alot better IMO.
    Last edited by Sinndel; 05-22-2011 at 05:09 AM.

Theres a patch coming out soon that addresses the clunkiness issue I believe.
    :: Ceileigh Amberlight - Dwarf Engineer :: Nimhue Amberlight - Dwarf Druid :: Faeblight ::

Champion

The books are good but I can't play the game, that guy is just too irritating. Maybe you have to be a male.

The biggest killer for me is that we are forced to play a male character. I know, its about a male in the books, but I just dont like being stuck into one character. I liked how Bioware does it... their game trailers might focus on the male, but in the games you get to play either male or female.
    :: Ceileigh Amberlight - Dwarf Engineer :: Nimhue Amberlight - Dwarf Druid :: Faeblight ::

Quote Originally Posted by FoxMaiden View Post
    The biggest killer for me is that we are forced to play a male character. I know, its about a male in the books, but I just dont like being stuck into one character. I liked how Bioware does it... their game trailers might focus on the male, but in the games you get to play either male or female.
    I have an automatic prejudice against games that force a pre-fab PC in this day and age. Seems like they're taking a step backwards when they do that.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by FoxMaiden View Post
    It's not playing a male that bothers me. Before Lara Croft I don't recall any game where it wasn't the norm. It's just that particular male, who brings out the worst in me, I just want to slap him.

Ascendant

I'm really liking it to be honest. I'm nearing the end of Chapter 1 (I think so at least; finally beat that bloody Kayran) and the story's pretty gripping, some of the side quests are also a lot deeper than is the norm for RPGs these days too which suits me. I also like Geralt as a character and he feels pretty true to the books here - but different strokes and all that.

But, ugh, those controls were not designed with a keyboard and mouse in mind, I agree 100% there. It just don't feel intiuitive at all and most my deaths have been from me not being able to remember what does what in the heat of the moment.
    Last edited by Kedon; 05-22-2011 at 08:31 AM.

Rich Aemry

Quote Originally Posted by Kedon View Post
    I'm really liking it to be honest. I'm nearing the end of Chapter 1 (I think so at least; finally beat that bloody Kayran) and the story's pretty gripping, some of the side quests are also a lot deeper than is the norm for RPGs these days too which suits me. I also like Geralt as a character and he feels pretty true to the books here - but different strokes and all that.

But, ugh, those controls were not designed with a keyboard and mouse in mind, I agree 100% there. It just don't feel intiuitive at all and most my deaths have been from me not being able to remember what does what in the heat of the moment.
    Yeah, the KB/M controls are awful, but I got used to awful controls a long time ago. I remember the pre-mouselook FPS days, and remember when WASD was developed as a control scheme within the gaming community by the gamers themselves, and not the game makers. It has always been a good idea to own a console style controller for your PC.

I'm just glad they got rid of that 3 click timing combat system from the first game, my God that was awful! This game like DA2 is a console port, and it shows. The reason I like it more is that it feels like a real RPG. It's down and dirty, and feels real. It's the same reason I like Rift, I'm just so tired of that super high-gloss polyurethane feel that most western RPGs have developed.

I'm tired of western RPGs that all do the exact same thing, and feel interchangeable. The Witcher 2 has got that Eastern European feel and I really like it. There is just a different idea of what makes an RPG work, and I personally think it works better.

i lost a good amount of sleep playing this game love it so far,
    might give me a excuse to go buy a nvidia 3d vision kit
    Last edited by Kilrathi; 05-22-2011 at 03:32 PM.
    But But it worked in Dev!

I enjoyed my first playthrough of Witcher 2. A good story that made me care about the characters and really think about some of the choices I made during that playthrough. Nearly everything you do with the story and quests has a knock on effect at some point along the way and will affect what happens to Geralt.

All in all a great game.

Decided to do a run through of the first one so I can do an import to see what that does to the story in the 2nd (finished it a few time ages ago but sadly deleted everything).

I like the game, havn't really gotten that far into it because I would rather play Rift. The graphics are terrific, the combat is fun, and the story seems pretty good thus far. Like a lot of people though I did not really enjoy the prefab character, I feel it is essential in RPG's today to create your own character. This guy looks annoying, sounds annoying, idk hes my least favorite part haha. But a good game so far, I never played the first one so idk how much I am missing story wise.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast